It is currently Sun May 20, 2018 10:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 732 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gwent
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:33 pm 

Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: uhhhhh
Yay! We’re going to win Hakeem back to another game! Prominence Poker maybe? Magic 2014?

#Team2014

The one true King of NGA Magic Duels on Xbox One.

You want some? Come get some. You don't like me? Bite me.

Day 1,000 of the never-ending Vert monarchy.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=16077

Magic's a simple game, 2 people take turns playing cards and in the end Divinevert wins 2-0...

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:50 am 

You fickle people, I wonder how you even stayed interested in Magic :D

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:00 am 

Or each other for that matter! I know I’ve just about had it with Vert and his smarty brain

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:44 pm 

Currently top 100 with Moonlight Dagon (https://www.gwentdb.com/decks/46051-dag ... top-100-gm), yippee :D

I'm expecting to start playing Magic Arena once I can register for it though. I don't know if I'll be playing Gwent for much longer. I certainly find it enjoyable, but two card games at the same time might be one too many, especially since I also play other genres.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:18 pm 

Well thEn you better ditch Gwent and come build me Ramp decks in Arena

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:17 pm 

Lol sure - once it goes into open beta :D

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:23 pm 

Congrats @Banedon!

Reached Rank 19 for the first time this season with a mixture of Deathwish Dagon, Spellatael v3 and Handbuff NG and it really makes me want to play more often to make it to GM.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:39 pm 

Banedon wrote:
You fickle people, I wonder how you even stayed interested in Magic :D

I occasionally stop playing for years at a time. I've only recently gotten back into playing Duels since Amonkhet, and I only played during Amonkhet having taken a break for a year before it came out.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:22 pm 

I'm just grinding mill to get tickets for Arena.

Mill wins about 65% of the time since no one really plans for it anymore. I just try to hide it for the first round and then spring the trap round 2 after they've thinned themselves.

Magic's a simple game, 2 people take turns playing cards and in the end Divinevert wins 2-0...

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:24 pm 

Mill still works? I never see it and thought Avallach being doomed = the end of the archetype.

Really hoping they change Imlerith: Sabbath next patch, as well as do something about how badly Greatswords destroy weather (especially fog - imagine playing a card that makes your opponent's units stronger, what the hell). And do something about the Brouver coin flip abuse combo, too, maybe Wardancers since carryover that can't be interacted with forces big playstyle changes.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:59 pm 

Yeah, I'm also impressed that you can still make mill work.

They said that they will post a roadmap of gwent's near future sometime week. I'm curious what that will entail.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:35 am 

Mill works because so few run it and play around it. My deck looks alot like other Nilfgaard decks until Round 2, so I just drag out Round 1 to bleed people and then take advantage of the mill Round 2 after they thin themselves. It's not some world beating deck, but it wins about 65% of the time, which is good enough for me, since it's fun, and I just use it to mine coins for Arena.

Speaking of Arena, man, the Revenants are super strong there. With multiple tutors for spells and items available, Revenant is consistently a 20+ bronze that allows me to exploit swarm buff cards.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:27 pm 

Do you play mill in Magic too divinevert? Also why not simply play a more powerful deck? Something like Greatswords would likely win more than 65% of its games.

I do not like Arena much. It's virtually impossible to tell what to play around. In Hearthstone with each leader getting its own class cards, there was something you can do; in Gwent you have to literally play around every possible card in the game. Also Imlerith: Sabbath is even more **** in Arena than it is in constructed. I've only done one run and don't expect to play more in the near future.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:03 pm 

Ironically I hate mill in Magic. I just like it in Gwent because it isn't an instant instant win. You need to carefully manipulate card advantage.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:32 am 

Ran into Mill Emhyr on the pro ladder recently. I played assuming the deck was handbuff, which is the most common Emhyr list, but this Emhyr deck led with Slave Driver. Then I thought it was an alchemy list - pro ladder really is a place where all sorts of jank gets tested - and passed early, since I was on the blue coin anyway. In round 2 Avallach Albrich etc all were played, but they only milled me for five cards. I won easily in spite of using a lot of thinning, including playing spy instead of discarding it.

I feel like mill just doesn't work. There aren't enough mill cards. You need to get really lucky with Sweers & Decoy, or it's a bust.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:40 pm 

Banedon wrote:
Ran into Mill Emhyr on the pro ladder recently. I played assuming the deck was handbuff, which is the most common Emhyr list, but this Emhyr deck led with Slave Driver. Then I thought it was an alchemy list - pro ladder really is a place where all sorts of jank gets tested - and passed early, since I was on the blue coin anyway. In round 2 Avallach Albrich etc all were played, but they only milled me for five cards. I won easily in spite of using a lot of thinning, including playing spy instead of discarding it.

I feel like mill just doesn't work. There aren't enough mill cards. You need to get really lucky with Sweers & Decoy, or it's a bust.

Eh, Decoy is usually for Albrich/Denethor. I agree that mill can't compete with things like Skellige Ships that don't do much thinning, but Elves/Reveal/Spellatiel/Alchemy Nilf all thin themselves alot. It has alot of favorable matchups, but some that just feel unwinnable. It's a gamble to run, but that's part of the fun.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:41 pm 

And Emhyr is trading away a ton of power from Calveit for alittle more mill, which itself makes it a risky proposition.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:24 pm 

Banedon wrote:

What do you run currently?

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:34 pm 

I don't play mill so I have no idea. Otherwise the main decks I play are Moonlight Dagon and Axemen. My only real problem is the Greatsword matchup, which is difficult for both decks to beat. Occasionally I play ST handbuff, but that deck doesn't feel very powerful although it's certainly viable. Recently watching OceanMud inspired me to try some Eredin as well, but Eredin is just so bad right now it's hard to justify.

Did you see the Homecoming announcement? https://www.gwentdb.com/news/288-gwent- ... rom-marcin They're fixing the coin flip (finally!) as well as looking at create, both things I approve of!

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:28 am 

So OceanMud made it to 4300 MMR with an Eredin deck, and I was briefly inspired to try getting there myself. Briefly. Like, just look at his deck. He goes through great lengths to not auto-lose to Brouver with Wardancer on the blue coin (why not just concede the matchup or run Crones?), he's running crappy cards like Cyclops, and he has so many frost synergy cards with only three frosts. I made an "improved version" of his deck and surged to a 10-0 streak. Then I started losing games and quit playing the deck shortly afterwards. Having played Dagon Moonlight now I just cannot see what is so appealing about Eredin. The deck just has so many problems:

1) Its long round isn't that strong. Yes it's not bad, but it's not strong either. You for example get crushed by Axemen & Dagon Moonlight. Exacerbated by no win condition (see #3). Axemen & Dagon Moonlight get away with it because they actually can win a short round 3 if they're up a card; they also have pretty decent single plays such as Ozzrel, Whispess into Monster Nest into Ghoul, and Restore targeting Pirate Captain. Eredin cannot. Dagon even has the advantage that Siren squashes Wild Hunt Hound. Assuming you drypass round 1 on blue coin, you'll go into round 3 on the blue coin. Then you can lead with Siren into Moonlight, while you don't know where to aim your frost & Rider.
2) Its engines are easily interacted with. Especially in the 2500 MMR bracket where I started the 10-0 streak. I actually just played against someone with THREE Archgriffins. Seriously.
3) No win condition. Crones serve as a win condition of sorts, except they also annihilate your mulligan. My God I've forgotten how much I hate mulliganing with Crones. Mulliganing one doesn't even mean blacklisting the other two. With other decks I'm okay with 8 must-mulligan cards; with Crones, I barely get by with just 3 Biting Frosts. But if one does not run Crones, that just leaves Ciri: Nova, and again you're at the mercy of Brouver + Wardancer on the blue coin (since Schirru beats any attempt to Ciri: Nova + pass), as well as having chronic frost shortages.
4) Speaking of Brouver + Wardancer on the blue coin, OceanMud's deck seems like it'll lose to Brouver anyway, even if it doesn't get blue coined. Running Lacerate means the opponent's Aglais is suddenly very threatening. Frost also kills Ida, which enables Hattori. Plus he just has so few rows of frost. If Ida clears one row and Hattori clears the other, what next?

Hence I'm writing off Eredin as an inferior Harald / Dagon. RIP. I actually don't remember how I got it to work in the past. During the Harpy Eredin era, Eredin had the huge advantage of having carryover, but after the nerf, I wonder how I got it to work. I remember I didn't drypass round 1 on the blue coin then. Maybe that's the key reason - many decks can now put out so much tempo that not drypassing round 1 is a serious liability, yet Eredin cannot play, because it doesn't have reliable high tempo plays.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 732 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next