Poll ended at Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:30 pm
Yes 50%  50%  [ 5 ]
No 50%  50%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 10
Total voters : 10
 Post subject: Elves?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:30 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
We've already established that Gruff is the only Goblin on Starstill. But as things currently stand, we don't have any Elves.

If Yes, we should have Elves wins, then Loamblood Druid and Maraka Grovetender will be changed into Elves. If No, we shouldn't have Elves wins, then any Elves that get into the set henceforth will have their creature type changed to Human.

I won't vote because I don't really care, but if there's a tie, I'll break it.

One eye closed to gaze at the goddess within.

Like this post

Post subject: Re: Elves?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:16 am 

Identity: Male
I'll go on the record saying I hate elves and they are the most overexposed thing ever. But I do want them here. Having elves, but with all their precious nature in ruins is too delicious to pass up. It'll be like the Lorwynn jerk elves. Those guys I actually liked. Just think, nature lovers in the desert. Half have come to embrace their new home as the "true" nature, and the other half are pretty desperate in their attempts to preserve Starstill's flora.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:30 am 

No elves from me...

Unless we can get cannibalistic dwarf-fortress elves? ;)

Really, though, the problem with elves in Starstill is their life span. The Still hasn't been going on for *that* long, in the terms of the multiverse, or at least hadn't according to the flavor thread. But the thing is, it's not new and different. Bahraz, who benefitted from immortality as an oldwalker, should be the only being other than the dragons who remembers a moving plane, and elves push the timeline for that, and the ruin of Bahraz's empire, back a stupidly long number of years, because they'll live longer to individually remember and cultural memory exists in generations. this seems out of theme with Starstill

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:27 pm 

Identity: genderqueer
Preferred Pronoun Set: zie/zin/zir/zirs/zinself
I was in favor of elves, but Szat persuaded me otherwise.

Suggestions for alternatives to elves for the small green characteristic race, anyone?

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:35 pm 

Ouphes?

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:37 pm 

I wasn't thinking of doing the super long-lived elves. I was actually under the impression they had fallen out of fashion some time ago. God I hate elves.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:44 pm 

Having a superhuman lifespan is part of the identity of elves. not necessarily immortal (as tolkien) or Millenial, but at least multi-century, which pushes their generation count to low, low numbers. And I do think that's important to elf-ness, so they're not just pointy-eared hippies and sufficiently represented by a subculture of humanity.

Once, I designed a world where the MAXIMUM elven life-span was 500 years. Not small, but not huge by elf standards. Then I had to run two millennia of history, and do kings lists for the nations. One of the human nations had six dynasties, three intermediate periods, and over forty monarchs. It faced succession crisis, civil war, and enough history that there were things lost in the mists of time to its populace The elves had a stately succession of eight kings and queens in the same time. They, therefore, remembered the days of the first of those monarchs about as well as we'd remember the civil war, as opposed to the rise of Rome.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:59 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
Ouphes?

I AM SO IN FAVOR OF OUPHES THEY ARE MY FAVORITE

They fit into Maraka, Illpyre, and Frostwynd instead of just in Maraka.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:31 pm 

That is an advantage to them, yes.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:25 am 

In favor of ouphes.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:04 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: she
My attitude is a bit like TPMan's. Elves are way over-used but they seem to fit here.

Szat has a good point, but Lorwyn/moor elves don't have long lifespans. They're kind of a separate species with the horns and hooves, but they're still the Elf creature type. They're less different than the Selkies or Stream Hopper were from usual Merfolk and Goblins.

Horned/antlered elves who turned to cannibalism out of desperation. They are just long-lived enough to remember when things had degenerated slightly less than now, but not long enough to remember before the Starstill began. So they are extremely nostalgic and sad and at the same time, don't actually have any understanding at all of what normal ecosystems would look like, even if some arrogantly think they do. Some of them have accepted that this is nature now, and actually want to preserve the status quo. Nature is change, and adversity literally breeds tougher life-forms. Some of them are desperate to save whatever they can. Some of them are xenophobic jerks who are just convinced that some non-elves out there are responsible for the Starstill so just to be safe they distrust or hate everyone! Some of them are like fanatical nature wardens who police Maraka for ANY technological people because hey, when nature is so hard-pressed, you gotta keep the humanoids down to save what's left, right? Some of them want to teach other races how to live in harmony with the world and survive better.

They use every part of every creature they kill or scavenge, including humanoids. Including each other. They do crazy-seeming things like make harpoon heads out of their relatives' antlers, and glue them together with glue from their relatives' hooves. Owning something from your ancestors is like a major part of their culture now. Stealing one of those things from them is a worse insult than killing an elf, 'cause people die all the time in the wastelands (sort of a Fremen attitude) but ancestors[' body parts] are forever. And they have facial tattoos like the Maori used to.

But furry, burrowing rat/dog/gopher Ouphes would be cool too.

Last edited by Arcades Sabboth on Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:20 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:11 pm 

Ouphes, yes, Ouphes

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:05 pm 

Spirits.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:59 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
OK, so this did end up ending in a tie. I choose No Elves.

Grove Tender shall be changed to the following:

Groveskipper Ouphe
Creature – Ouphe (C)
As Groveskipper Ouphe enters the battlefield, choose a color.
: Add one mana of the chosen color to your mana pool.
Mastery—As long as you control an artifact, a creature, and an enchantment, Groveskipper Ouphe has hexproof.
0/1

Loamblood Druid shall be left the same,

And Canoca of the Lost Orchard shall be a Treefolk Druid.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:43 pm 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
Good, elves are boring.

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post