It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 274 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:03 pm 

Speaking of Sanguine Bond what are the odds of the final expansion dropping Exquisite Blood just to watch the chaos that ensues immediately following? That would be a laugh. A terrible, terrible laugh.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:24 pm 

Hakeem928 wrote:
With regard to it being the most played archetype, I've only sat across from a single resolved Sanguine Bond and I haven't seen Angelic Accord yet. I've seen a bunch of WB decks with Pridemates, Ulcerates, etc., but nothing that resembled a cohesive deck like I would see posted on here. I don't see a lot of goblins, either, maybe it's the time difference and I get all the stoners from the West Coast of the US. :)

Games played will also be a factor. I notice you don't have the Battle Mastery achievement yet, but I'm closing in on 200 wins online so have likely played a lot more.

Frequency for me has to be;
1) R Goblin/Hoplite Aggro Auras
2) W/R Aggro
2) W/B Lifegain
4) W/G Tokens

As a point of principle, I don't run any of those as a result. I also had a B/R sac/steal deck and a U/R Spell deck (Talrand/Kiln Fiend/Guttersnipe) but felt they were relatively common and too difficult to differentiate from the vanilla builds and still make them work, so I got rid of them as I they felt too much like playing a precon form the old Duels, but with even less personalisation.

DLC should open them up to new avenues.

I have 238 wins under my belt at the point of writing this and I have to say that those are probably pretty accurate decks in terms of most used here on steam. I think I see life gain type builds (Not just w/b) More frequently than w/r aggro. W/G tokens are surprisingly not running as rampant on steam as they appear on xbox. (I think that is where you're playing right?)

I wish they had a win/loss ratio on each deck used!

Youtube
Spoiler

Steam Handle: ibestest
PSN: iBestestGaming

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:43 pm 

Yup, Xbox, but I didn't intend to rank them in order, though reading it again I did state that!

What I would say was the actual level of popularity would be;

1) :r: Aggro, :w::b: Lifegain, :w::g: Tokens - all very popular, hard to say the most so
2) :w:, taking elements of all three above (Aggro, Life and Tokens) - close second
3) :w::r: Aggro, :w::u: Aggro Control - basically same strategies as above aggro builds, just not as good
4) :u::r: Spells (Talrand, Kiln Fiend, Guttersnipe, etc)

After that there's other less common archetypes such as :b::g: Self-Mill/Ramp, :r::g: Aggro, :b::r: Steal/Sac, :w::g: Ramp, :u: or :u::b:, or even :u::g: Mill.

Rare archetypes are :w::b::g: or :u::b::g: Self-Mill decks (as they're so hard to get right) and Vent Sentinel decks, but they do exist.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:03 pm 

blue/black alone is probably the least seen color combo here on steam. For good reason, I still can't come up with a list I am overly happy with consistency wise. Mainly because of the popularity of aggro running so rampantly. I have had some that I could win more than I lose with, but still not as consistent as I would like them to be nor consistent to the point where I am comfortable posting the builds here..

I love Dimir dang it ><

Youtube
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:27 pm 

Yup. Dimir always gets the shaft in Duels, though I did like both Dimir decks in 2014, but only after the promos dropped, and only by completely discarding the themes they came with.

Though I would argue Dimir decks are among the weakest in 2015, I wouldn't say they were the least common, as lots of people are still trying to make them work and failing.

I honestly don't see many Simic decks, even though I think its a decent pair, and even has an infinite combo with Species Gorger, Archaeomancer and Time Warp. I think its because Green is mainly used for ramp by most, and Blue has the most disappointing top end creatures, so it gets relegated to the occasional mill deck where people hope they can luck into an early Hedron Crab.

I also rarely see Mono Blue, Green or Black. I'd say mono Black is actually the rarest deck choice of all.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:46 pm 

too many people are focusing on making a mill deck with dimir from what I have seen.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:48 pm 

Yup. Dimir always gets the shaft in Duels, though I did like both Dimir decks in 2014, but only after the promos dropped, and only by completely discarding the themes they came with.

Though I would argue Dimir decks are among the weakest in 2015, I wouldn't say they were the least common, as lots of people are still trying to make them work and failing.

I honestly don't see many Simic decks, even though I think its a decent pair, and even has an infinite combo with Species Gorger, Archaeomancer and Time Warp. I think its because Green is mainly used for ramp by most, and Blue has the most disappointing top end creatures, so it gets relegated to the occasional mill deck where people hope they can luck into an early Hedron Crab.

I also rarely see Mono Blue, Green or Black. I'd say mono Black is actually the rarest deck choice of all.

Steam is a little different in these regards. Dimir is VERY rare here. Simic is far more common.
Mono Black isn't super uncommon here on steam either. Nor mono green. I think about the same for black and green.

Mono blue is rare too but I believe I have seen more mono-blue than dimir builds honestly! Not counting 3 color builds that include blue and black..

Youtube
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:19 pm 

I think my favourite deck at the moment is my mono-Blue Aggro deck, just because of how damn weird it is in the current metagame! Nobody sees it coming!

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:53 am 

I think my favourite deck at the moment is my mono-Blue Aggro deck, just because of how damn weird it is in the current metagame! Nobody sees it coming!

Is it really doing all that great? I mean it just seems we don't have access to very good blue aggro cards for the deck to work all that well on a consistent basis. It looks about as good as you can get with what we have to work with, but still...I didn't really want to jump up and try it, lol. Then again blue-mill sucks too and I would like to do something useful with a mono-blue, lol.

BattleTag: minddrifter#1397
NGA: Formerly known as "Nebula"

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:27 am 

Give it a try and see what you think!

The main problem with it, is that it has no margin for error. Make a misplay, and you'll likely lose. It also requires a good knowledge of the metagame, as often you'll have a decision on wether to counter something or spend than mana flashing in a Faerie, so you need to weigh the strength of the card that could resolve versus the clock improvement of an extra Faerie and the possibility of needing to counter something worse later.

Quickling use is also quite complicated in this deck. It can save creatures, be a surprise blocker, or often can do some tricky Pestermite bounce and recasts involving untapping your own mana so you don't lose tempo and can still hold for a counter rather than waiting until next turn to recast.

The deck is very tight, so needs a lot of play to understand good opening hands and optimal turns, 1, 2 and 3 play, as like any Aggro build this is where you either win or lose it based on how well you develop your board and how well you disrupt your opponent's. Also, ALWAYS prioritise Military Intelligence and the Bident if they can give you draw that turn unless you are about to win regardless.

One last thing to consider is Pestermite on turn 3. Quite often you have a dilemma of holding for a counter, or flashing in immediately to tap an enemy land, thus preventing a cast, and holding your counter for that spell next turn while advancing your clock. Sometimes though they could just throw a Shock or something now you're tapped out, so it has a gambler's element too.

The full list is in the Blue topic if you were interested.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:21 pm 

Nebula wrote:

Is it really doing all that great? I mean it just seems we don't have access to very good blue aggro cards for the deck to work all that well on a consistent basis. It looks about as good as you can get with what we have to work with, but still...I didn't really want to jump up and try it, lol. Then again blue-mill sucks too and I would like to do something useful with a mono-blue, lol.

You could try a mono-blue draw-go deck.

Another one of my websites: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/rati ... istianity/

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:07 pm 

Nebula wrote:

You could try a mono-blue draw-go deck.

Shhh...! Don't tell them about your Wall of Denial deck, I've been using it myself, really enjoying it, and don't wish for it to become popular. ;)

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:40 pm 

Wall of denial deck?

Youtube
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:32 pm 

I'm currently running 7 decks, so thought I'd post them here for anyone interested.

Undying Will

9 x Plains
11 x Swamp
4 x Orzhov Guildgate

4 x Cloudshift
4 x Gods Willing
3 x Wall of Omens
3 x Lone Missionary
1 x Baneslayer Angel
1 x Resolute Archangel
3 x Pharika's Chosen
4 x Undying Evil
2 x Agent of the Fates
4 x Liliana's Specter
1 x Shadowborn Demon
3 x Rescue from the Underworld
1 x Rune-Scarred Demon

Lots of ETB trickery, and ways to trigger it repeatedly along with a few finishers and lots of early stall via lifegain and deathtouch.

Shadowborn is recurrable kill with the Cloudshift/Undying package, especially convenient as he self-sacrifices for the latter. He can also force another creature of your choice to die with the sac demands, which you can give Undying to in order to re-trigger ETBs, and is obviously a great target for Rescue too.

Agent of the Fates has 12 trigger spells on top of his deathtouch, and the Specters are great value for ETB abuse too - especially for taking the last few cards from a player's hand.

Are there two cards missing here or did I miss something??

Youtube
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:39 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: Mr.
All I can say is Wow Fun!

I really do enjoy these deckbuilding discussions but to be honest this year I've horribly skimmed and only caught one or two good points along with some fine drama reads. So I know I haven't stolen anyone's ideas on this deck.
Point is is even though I may not be the best deckbuilder in the world the seniors of you all know that I come up with some un thought of placements that turn out to glow.
Yey!!!
Thank Me!!!!

Serious now.
Big W/B fan (remember my rallying of Grim whenever I got the chance) and I put together a nice little Orzhov deck on the fly a few minutes ago and I tell you it was very, very fun to play. First out a win by concede and didn't feel the least bit clunky beyond not hitting some mana drops in the beginning.
Now subtle changes will occur... maybe.
I'm really happy with this deck from the get go and am so excited to post the list that I'm rambling right now instead of pulling up Steam and writing down the card choices to post. The hotel room has not the tools of transference my man cave has.
It's coming, edited into this post in 5, 2, 1...

Drain the One
Premium
11 x Swamp
9 x Plains
3 x Orzhov Guildgate

3 x Tormented Hero
3 x Death Cultist
2 x Vizkopa Guildmage
3 x Ajani's Pridemate
2 x Wall of Omens
1 x Brimaz, King of Oreskos
4 x Lone Missionary
2 x Rhox Faithmender
2 x Indulgent Tormentor
2 x Resolute Archangel

3 x Cloudshift
3 x Angelic Accord
2 x Cutthroat Maneuver
2 x Sanguine Bond
3 x Suffer the Past

Take it out for a spin. It's pretty self explanatory when you look at it, just a little off the beaten path so to speak.

Undercity Coliseum Tournament, NGA KOTH and even some entertaining dailys up now and streaming (sometimes)!!!! Make sure you subscribe.
https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster
My band Shakey Deal YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBpPU1fbAjSPTfu3g0vubLw
Shakey Deal Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ShakeyDeal.Neil.Young.tribute/

Last edited by thedevilwuster on Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:40 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: Mr.
Nope. Don't like Seance in this deck at all. Am adjusting. Fun idea I couldn't exploit.
Original cut edited.
-1 Seance
-1 Death Cultist
+2 Lone Missionary
-1 Guilddude
+1 King of Cats

The path seems somewhat straighter now.

Undercity Coliseum Tournament, NGA KOTH and even some entertaining dailys up now and streaming (sometimes)!!!! Make sure you subscribe.
https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster
My band Shakey Deal YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBpPU1fbAjSPTfu3g0vubLw
Shakey Deal Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ShakeyDeal.Neil.Young.tribute/

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:35 am 

2bestest wrote:
Wall of denial deck?

I think it's one of the first posts in the mono-blue thread. Everyone seemed to ignore it... :cry:

You can all find all of my decks on the website in my sig (well, right now I only have 2 on there, but I have about 6 more to add when I get around to it).

2bestest wrote:

Are there two cards missing here or did I miss something??

I've been over this already with him. The other 2 cards are Indulgent Tormentors.

Another one of my websites: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/rati ... istianity/

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:12 am 

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:09 pm 

I gave that blue deck a try, it can be fun at times but I wish we could do something more like the blue deck from 2012! But hell your wall build can be great at times too!

Youtube
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:37 am 

ok so....not too sure how to list the deck properly, but ive got this BW that i took out for a test run. played 50x went 44-6.
all 6 came against BR.

any advice would be nice!

10x plains
7x swamp
4x orzhov gate
4x radiant fountain

3x Ajainis Pridemate
2x Ordeal of Heliod
4x Lone Missionary
1x Brimaz
2x Mentor of the Meek
3x Banisher Priest
2x Rhox Faithmender
3x Angelic Accord
1x Baneslayer Angel

3x Ulcerate
3x Child of Night
3x Tribute to Hunger
1x Sanguine Bond(considering cutting this)
2x Rune Scarred Demon
2x Vizkopa Guildmage

Does extremely well even versus the rakdos decks, most of the ones that got me used fling and/or act of treason to do me in.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 274 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next