It is currently Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:07 pm 

I loved Chant of Mul Daya from last year's game, so I decided to make as close to a pure Ramp deck as was possible in 2015. I had to make it G/W to get as much ramp in there as a could and this is what I've ended up with so far.

Selesnya Ramp

Lands

14 x Forest
11 x Plains

No Guildgates because you can't ramp them with the cards we're given.

Ramp / Card Draw

4 x Elvish Pioneer
4 x Elvish Visionary
3 x Wall of Omens
4 x Cultivate
4 x Kor Cartographer

The backbone of the deck designed to get to your ramp cards and get your lands into play as quick as possible. I'm not in love with the Pioneers, but since I wanted to build pure ramp I included them (something more stall-y would probably be better in that spot). I considered Satyr Wayfinder and Darksteel Ingot, but the former doesn't put the land into play (and I have no graveyard manipulation) and the latter gives you no board presence and isn't really needed in a two color deck (perhaps in a 3 or more color ramp deck though). I also really want to use Meteorite in a deck; it costs a lot, but if any deck can run it effectively, this may be it.

Bombs

1 x Baneslayer Angel
2 x Genesis Hydra
2 x Arbor Colossus
1 x Soul of Zendikar
2 x Terra Stomper
2 x Pelakka Wurm
1 x Kozilek, Butcher of Truth

I go back and forth on these a bit because I'd really like to get the third Pelakka in there, but I may have too many Bombs as it is. I really like Genesis Hydra here because you should be able to cast him for enough to get two bombs for one and at the very least you likely get some card draw or other utility. I have and am still considering Aegis Angel for this role, but I don't have any noncreature permanents to protect and a 5/5 Flyer just isn't that imposing on it's own.

Support / Board Control

2 x Planar Cleansing
3 x Arrest

Cleansing is great for this deck since usually you are going to be behind on the board after the first few turns. I keep going back and forth on the last three cards. I've tried out Cloudshift and when it's good its fantastic, but a lot of times it just draws a card or saves a bomb from removal (still useful, but I overload on bombs to withstand removal).

For now I chose to put in more removal for the early game. I'm not completely sold on Arrest, but because it is a permanent it goes well with Genesis Hydra. I looked at Banisher Priest, but it's a nonbo with Cleansing and the double mana cost make it slightly more difficult to get out early. Divine Verdict and Angelic Edict are decent options as well (especially Edict since it can hit enchantments), but they're more expensive if I need to shut something down sooner (or ramp/draw on the same turn I cast them).

Overall, it's not nearly as good as Chant was, but it's been fun to mess around with. Good Aggro still eats it alive most of the time, but that's playing ramp for ya; you're always tweaking trying to beat those Goblins and White Weenies. Let me know what you guys think :)

Last edited by Frostang on Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:42 pm 

rockshard wrote:

3 wins in a row with this build (or was it 4?)

I hardly ever run this deck because it does not excite me. Even though I practically never lose with it.

edit: Wow. I lost. To a mono white with premiums.
Squadron Hawk and Triplicate Spirits. I drew no fliers that game. Banisher Priest'ed his Phantom General only for him to play another one and swing with 3 spirits dealing me exactly enough to win. I was at 6 he was at 3.

edit:
-4 Divine Verdict
+4 Righteous Blow

1-0 so far so good
edit: 3-0

"Species Horror" 4W 1L / (new) 4W 1L --- "History Channel" *3W 1L

Last edited by rockshard on Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:48 am 

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:52 am 

I prefer to play all white creatures so you have access to the white Paragon. That's a much better card than Phantom General, IMO, and you get to play the amazing Squadron Hawk. Here's my list, tell me what you think:

16 x Plains
8 x Forest

2 x Loyal Pegasus
3 x Elite Vanguard

4 x Selesnya Evangel
4 x Squadron Hawk
4 x Raise the Alarm

4 x Attended Knight
2 x Mentor of the Meek
2 x Banisher Priest
1 x Brimaz, King of Oreskos
2 x Beastmaster Ascension
1 x Hall of Triumph

3 x Paragon of New Dawns

1 x Baneslayer Angel

3 x Triplicate Spirits

I really don't play the deck anymore because it's so powerful.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:01 pm 

I've been meaning to add that I've encountered a variant of GW tokens that plays Scion of the Wild and Chorus of Might and it got me good the first time I played against it (32/32 trampler that I chump-blocked not considering Chorus was a card). Now whenever I see a Scion, I prioritize its removal immediately or make sure to have a bounce/counter spell at the ready at all times.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:32 pm 

Hakeem - I bet that if you drop your 6 green cards (as good as they are), and play it mono white, it will be even better (you have amazing white alternatives).

I consider Seraph of the masses as a much better alternative to Scion of the Wild - it has evasion, the double green cost is ouch, and when they matter, seraph of the masses is cheaper, and you don't mind tapping creatures, because you went on a plan of keep weenies, win with big flier.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:37 pm 

Beastmaster Ascension is irreplacable so I'm playing green for it; Evangel is just a value mana sink that also benefits from all the white anthem effects. This deck is pretty insane because fliers plus anthems is usually good enough, and dropping Ascension is the key to winning board stalls.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:15 pm 

I'm currently running 7 decks, so thought I'd post them here for anyone interested.

Truth Seekers

12 x Plains
10 x Forest
2 x Selesnya Guildgate

3 x Wall of Omens
4 x Lone Missionary
2 x Mentor of the Meek
2 x Seance
3 x Kor Cartographer
2 x Aegis Angel
2 x Palisade Giant
2 x Planar Cleansing
2 x Resolute Archangel
4 x Satyr Wayfinder
4 x Cultivate
2 x Arbor Colossus
3 x Pelakka Wurm

A stall/ramp deck, that takes full advantage of ETBs and Seance to recur them. Every creature bar Kozilek has a benefit with Seance, and once that hits, especially with the self-mill of the Wayfinders, It's practically game over. Even Kozilek provides a service if he ends up in the graveyard as he reshuffles those creatures I may want to redraw rather than burn in a longer game such as the wurms.

This is easily my most powerful and consistent deck. The ramp, lifegain and draw are remarkably consistent, and there's a ton of internal combos which I won't take up space by listing as most are relatively obvious. I'm sure I must have, but I actually can't recall losing a game with this yet.

Good news is that I played this build for more than 2 hours, and I won every single game with it!
the Bad news is that I managed to finish 4 games.
Instead of the Premiums, I played 4xelvish visionary (also +1 forest -1 plains). Might need elixir, but so far I haven't milled myself, and If I used Senace, what am I shuffling exactly? it can also not allow me use of senace. anyway, with Satyr it is not even reliable that I'll draw it.

I kind of like the visionary, because he dies faster (hopefully with a trade) than the wall, and you can use him with senace. and I hold warm spot for him because in one game after I made an undestructible Palisade Giant and went all out attack, I managed to send through just 1-2 damage per turn with my elvish visionary.

I have a big dilemma in what deck to choose as the most annoying build I've seen so far, this one or the "endless fog loop" build.
too bad I haven't yet seen or build something that I would actually enjoy playing.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:09 am 

Hakeem928 wrote:
I prefer to play all white creatures so you have access to the white Paragon. That's a much better card than Phantom General, IMO, and you get to play the amazing Squadron Hawk. Here's my list, tell me what you think:

16 x Plains
8 x Forest

2 x Loyal Pegasus
3 x Elite Vanguard

4 x Selesnya Evangel
4 x Squadron Hawk
4 x Raise the Alarm

4 x Attended Knight
2 x Mentor of the Meek
2 x Banisher Priest
1 x Brimaz, King of Oreskos
2 x Beastmaster Ascension
1 x Hall of Triumph

3 x Paragon of New Dawns

1 x Baneslayer Angel

3 x Triplicate Spirits

I really don't play the deck anymore because it's so powerful.

He's not kidding. I ran this last night and went 11-0 on xbox before it got boring. The only close game was a Goblin deck that got a crazy good start.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:28 am 

AG on steroids! I wonder if this build could defeat Hakeem's Grixis build. ;P

BattleTag: minddrifter#1397
NGA: Formerly known as "Nebula"

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:30 am 

I'd say it would. This deck can recover from a Anger of the Gods wipe pretty well. Try it out. It's not my style, I prefer control, but its impressive.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:02 pm 

Frostang wrote:
I loved Chant of Mul Daya from last year's game, so I decided to make as close to a pure Ramp deck as was possible in 2015. I had to make it G/W to get as much ramp in there as a could and this is what I've ended up with so far.

Selesnya Ramp

Lands

14 x Forest
11 x Plains

No Guildgates because you can't ramp them with the cards we're given.

Ramp / Card Draw

4 x Elvish Pioneer
4 x Elvish Visionary
3 x Wall of Omens
4 x Cultivate
4 x Kor Cartographer

The backbone of the deck designed to get to your ramp cards and get your lands into play as quick as possible. I'm not in love with the Pioneers, but since I wanted to build pure ramp I included them (something more stall-y would probably be better in that spot). I considered Satyr Wayfinder and Darksteel Ingot, but the former doesn't put the land into play (and I have no graveyard manipulation) and the latter gives you no board presence and isn't really needed in a two color deck (perhaps in a 3 or more color ramp deck though). I also really want to use Meteorite in a deck; it costs a lot, but if any deck can run it effectively, this may be it.

Bombs

1 x Baneslayer Angel
2 x Genesis Hydra
2 x Arbor Colossus
1 x Soul of Zendikar
2 x Terra Stomper
2 x Pelakka Wurm

I go back and forth on these a bit because I'd really like to get the third Pelakka in there, but I may have too many Bombs as it is. I really like Genesis Hydra here because you should be able to cast him for enough to get two bombs for one and at the very least you likely get some card draw or other utility. I have and am still considering Aegis Angel for this role, but I don't have any noncreature permanents to protect and a 5/5 Flyer just isn't that imposing on it's own.

Support / Board Control

2 x Planar Cleansing
3 x Arrest

Cleansing is great for this deck since usually you are going to be behind on the board after the first few turns. I keep going back and forth on the last three cards. I've tried out Cloudshift and when it's good its fantastic, but a lot of times it just draws a card or saves a bomb from removal (still useful, but I overload on bombs to withstand removal).

For now I chose to put in more removal for the early game. I'm not completely sold on Arrest, but because it is a permanent it goes well with Genesis Hydra. I looked at Banisher Priest, but it's a nonbo with Cleansing and the double mana cost make it slightly more difficult to get out early. Divine Verdict and Angelic Edict are decent options as well (especially Edict since it can hit enchantments), but they're more expensive if I need to shut something down sooner (or ramp/draw on the same turn I cast them).

Overall, it's not nearly as good as Chant was, but it's been fun to mess around with. Good Aggro still eats it alive most of the time, but that's playing ramp for ya; you're always tweaking trying to beat those Goblins and White Weenies. Let me know what you guys think :)

I like it. I really don't like Elvish Pioneers, and would rather run the Ingots, or even Grazing Gladeharts for early lifegain. Nylea's Disciples are also an option.
Palisade Giant can also help stabilise the board against aggro decks.
Overall I would cut the Pioneers and add 2 Ingots, 1 Wurm and 1 Palisade Giant.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:28 am 

here's my current list

Tokens (no premiums)
12 Plains
8 Forest
4 Selesnya Guildgate
-
4 Raise the Alarm
4 Elvish Visionary
4 Selesnya Evangel
3 Jade Mage
-
4 Attended Knight
3 Banisher Priest
2 Elder of Laurels
2 Beastmaster Ascension
-
3 Phantom General
4 Triplicate Spirits
3 Seraph of the Masses

Why did I lose? Well I did get land flooded so maybe I should go -1 forest +1 Baneslayer or something.
Also considering adding Reclamation Sage.

OR the instant that gives my creatures +2+1 until eot. (edit: Inspired Charge) I mightve actually pulled a win if I had that. If the #1 ranked player uses it in his WG build then perhaps so must I.

edit: I think I might try this:
-3 Seraph of the Masses
-1 Forest
+4 Inspired Charge

Attachments:
File comment: ARMORED ASCENSIONS

ARMORED ASCENSIONS EVERYWHERE

_20140802_012328.JPG
_20140802_012328.JPG [ 98.73 KiB | Viewed 10734 times ]

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:14 am 

I really don't think Phantom General is all that great, and Elvish Visionary really doesn't belong in these lists because it doesn't support the aggressive gameplan.

Why is no one else using Squadron Hawk? The card is amazing. Visionary draws you a random card, Hawk draws you three evasive creatures, and it's white so you'll more easily cast it on T2.

I also don't think the deck's mana requirements require the full four gates to operate and they stop you from curving out.

The biggest omission, though, is Mentor of the Meek; you have to play this card in any weenie or token deck where he's in-color.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:45 am 

Hakeem928 wrote:
I really don't think Phantom General is all that great, and Elvish Visionary really doesn't belong in these lists because it doesn't support the aggressive gameplan.

Why is no one else using Squadron Hawk? The card is amazing. Visionary draws you a random card, Hawk draws you three evasive creatures, and it's white so you'll more easily cast it on T2.

I also don't think the deck's mana requirements require the full four gates to operate and they stop you from curving out.

The biggest omission, though, is Mentor of the Meek; you have to play this card in any weenie or token deck where he's in-color.

I agree with all of this. Although I don't think the Phantom General is all that bad in a mostly token build. I'm working on a mono-white token build with all the phantom generals and paragons. I would run the paragons and hall before I throw in general though.

BattleTag: minddrifter#1397
NGA: Formerly known as "Nebula"

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:23 am 

i made the change I planned on (-1 Forest, -3 Seraph, +4 Inspired Charge)

the very first game I got massively land flooded. 10 lands in play and an 11th in my hand and there were still over 40 cards in my library. I realized I shouldn't cut any more land since I was obviously land flooded. Luck happens.

Fortunately the very next game was the same opponent and I won. I wanted to catch him again (for a best 2 of 3) but I got someone else instead. Mono red with premiums. First time I ever win with inspired charge.

2-1

edit: just played a weird game.
opponent goes t1 land, cloudfin raptor
t2 land
t3 land
t4 land
t5 time warp
t6 (extra turn) Charmbreaker devils

I play banisher priest targeting Charmbreaker.
He shocks the priest.
Charmbreaker returns... *drumroll*.. time warp
he casts time warp
on his extra turn Charmbreaker returns... *drumroll*... shock
game over

3-1

edit:
6-2

Attachments:
_20140803_013720.JPG
_20140803_013720.JPG [ 27.12 KiB | Viewed 10653 times ]

Last edited by rockshard on Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:28 am 

My current decklist.
Tokens (Non Premium)
Creature:
x1 Brimaz, King of Orestos
x2 Mentor of the Meek
x2 Banisher Priest
x3 Attended Knight
x2 Mausoleum Guard
x3 Seraph of the Masses
x4 Elvish Pioneer
x4 Spire Tracer
x2 Scion of the Wild

Sorcery:
x4 Prey Upon
x4 Cultivate

Instant:
x4 Raise the Alarm
x4 Titanic Growth

Enchantment:
x2 Beastmaster Ascension

Land:
x8 Plains
x11 Forest

I am brand new to this forum, I appreciate any criticism/suggestions you guys have for me.

Last edited by Shadowknightx on Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:43 am 

I notice your running 19 lands in this deck. I've not intrinsically got a problem with that but I then have to ask what the point of the x4 Cultivate and x4 Elvish Pioneer are? What exactly are you intending to ramp into? The most expensive thing in your deck is Seraph of the Masses but you are never going to cast that at full price in a dedicated token deck. I just don't see what you need that much ramp for; especially the Elvish Pioneer. With only 19 lands how often does he ability come into effect?

Other then that for a token deck you look kinda thin on tokens. You'll really want to be running Selesnya Evangel for consistent, cheap token generation and Triplicate Spirits to give you some evasive guys to safely trigger Beastmaster Ascension.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:54 am 

I notice your running 19 lands in this deck. I've not intrinsically got a problem with that but I then have to ask what the point of the x4 Cultivate and x4 Elvish Pioneer are? What exactly are you intending to ramp into? The most expensive thing in your deck is Seraph of the Masses but you are never going to cast that at full price in a dedicated token deck. I just don't see what you need that much ramp for; especially the Elvish Pioneer. With only 19 lands how often does he ability come into effect?

Other then that for a token deck you look kinda thin on tokens. You'll really want to be running Selesnya Evangel for consistent, cheap token generation and Triplicate Spirits to give you some evasive guys to safely trigger Beastmaster Ascension.

Honestly I like having Elvish Pioneer in there to give myself the ability to play 2 lands on turn 1, and Cultivate to help me get guys out faster if im stuck/behind on lands. It felt right to put them in because I feel like they help speed up the process of putting guys on the field. So far it hasn't caused any issues for me but i'm willing to try swapping them out for other cards. Is Selesnya Evangel really all that important? it seems kind of "meh" to me though i've never used it. I guess my deck isn't entirely based around just pumping out tokens, either I get Beastmaster Ascension or I get out 1 or 2 Seraph of the Masses or Scion of the Wild.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:06 am 

You pretty much curve out at 3 so you might as well -4 Cultivate +4 land and your deck stands to benefit. Not to mention if you do this it would make Elvish Pioneer better.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next