It is currently Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7433 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 372  Next
 Post subject: Re: Off Topic Thread
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:38 pm 

Yeah airport but I should be clearing customs in Montreal so I should be ok

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:12 pm 

41 minutes is 40 minutes too long for Barney

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:53 pm 

At some level, we don’t pay teachers enough to attract the best talent. If you are smart enough to go to college and do better and you aren’t particularly attracted to teaching, than why would you go to college to settle for a teacher’s salary? A lot of teachers in my high school had to coach as well just to get by.

The schools also often aren’t properly motivated to challenge students. My high school cared about SAT scores, AP scores, and number of students who graduated. So students were taught to do well on those tests and or taught enough to graduate. Doing more than the min outside standardized testing only really happened for straight A students bc honor roll also somewhat mattered.

“As the light gains purchase, spirits are lifted and purpose is made clear.”

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:36 am 

DJ0045 wrote:
@Wintervoid, I'm not sure if the problem is that we don't spend enough. I just think the quality of the education is low. Sometimes the solution isn't to spend more, but rather to spend more efficiently. In any case, much like our health care issues, the education problem seems (to me) to be more related to culture than to money.

I agree, I don't think it is a spending issue. I think we pay plenty right now, but I will say I was surprised that we are only slightly above average per student. It MAY be that we spend enough money, but we don't spend it wisely. Most likely it is a whole list of reasons though. I just read on of the replies and decided to dig into some stats etc on spending on education vs military and figured I may as well share. No real point beyond agreeing that the USA public education could be improved.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:04 am 

I finished watching
The Good Place 9/10
The Witcher 8/10
The Mandalorian 8/10
His Dark Materials 8/10
Dracula (Miniseries) 7/10
in the past few days.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:59 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set: Mr.
My 12 year old complains that our schools system is ineffective and antiquated. We purposely moved to a town where the school district is top in Illinois and one of the top in the nation and he still says that as he composes a symphony in his off time and is currently teaching himself to play bagpipes.
I tend to agree with him but we cannot afford to send him to a private school at the moment so it breaks my heart that he feels he is wasting his time. My daughter feels very similar.
Mind you I said Illinois. Some of the highest taxes in The States in one of the very best school districts and still they think that.

Undercity Coliseum Tournament, NGA KOTH and even some entertaining dailys up now and streaming (sometimes)!!!! Make sure you subscribe.
https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster
My band Shakey Deal YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBpPU1fbAjSPTfu3g0vubLw
Shakey Deal Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ShakeyDeal.Neil.Young.tribute/

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:26 am 

Sometimes the apple does fall far from the tree

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:04 am 

Mandalorian is only an 8?!

I’m watching Rectify and I’m not kidding when I say it’s a 10

Rematched Baby Driver last night. The laundromat scene with Lily James makes me melt

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:29 am 

Baby driver is just such a fun movie to watch, I didn't think it would be my kinda movie going into it but it was probably my best movie of 2017 along with Dunkirk

The Witcher TV series was really weird for me, never played the games or read the books and i could go on all day about the things i didn't like, but overall i still binged it and can't wait for next season haha

As a side note, the story of GoT is crazy to me, i've never seen something so mainstream just fall off the map so quickly - you used to not be able to go a day without someone talking about it but now since the last season bombed it's like it never existed - people don't even talk about how bad the finale was, they just...don't talk about it

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:37 am 

Give it time, HBO is not going to leave oil in that well

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:45 am 

The ending was ****. In fact most of the last two seasons were ****. Thus it is no longer the phenomena it once was. It’s just mediocre.

“As the light gains purchase, spirits are lifted and purpose is made clear.”

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:50 am 

I dunno, Seinfeld went out with a whimper and it remains the best sitcom of all time

I’d probably have Thrones in my top five tv shows of all time, maybe top 3

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:26 am 

Mandalorian is only an 8?!

There is no show that got a 10 from me ever, so 8 is really good :)

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:05 am 

yeah, that's fair :)

I'm almost positive it's a 9 but I haven't watched the last three episodes yet.

I honestly think Rectify is a 10 but I'm only in season 2 so i can't judge yet.

I'd have to give it some thought but the only shows that I've seen that hit 9 or 10 would Larry Sanders Show, The Wire, 1st season of True Detective, Game of Thrones, maybe/probably Sopranos (not sure)...

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:09 am 

Identity: ItsreallyDJ0045
Preferred Pronoun Set: I'm male, lol!
41 minutes is 40 minutes too long for Barney

Same for me, and I live here. :cry:

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:10 am 

I’ve been watching Lilyhammer. I’m way late to this party, but it’s a LOT of fun. Highly recommended.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:16 am 

yeah, never worry about being late to the party. There is SO much media content now that people are going to be discovering stuff years and years after it came out. Lots of time to experience everything.

Heck, i just finally got around to seeing The Godfather late last year.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:45 am 

I dunno, Seinfeld went out with a whimper and it remains the best sitcom of all time

I’d probably have Thrones in my top five tv shows of all time, maybe top 3

Yes, both shows had bad endings, yet they remain best in class (Seinfeld) and best overall by a f** landslide (GoT)

2nd place I would give to Breaking Bad, which makes that the best Netflix show and after that it's pretty much up for grasps. The Wire is solid for a few seasons (one season kind of ends the main plot and the next season starts with a fresh cast that doesn't deliver). True Detective, Banshee, Vikings are all solid for a one-time watch-through. There are many more but these just came to mind.

The Witcher and Dracula are mediocre imo. I was sick for a while, so I watched both, but we won't talk about them a year from now. Witcher tries to fill the void left by GoT, but it's all over the place. I know a bit about the story from the Witcher 3 game, so I was able to unravel the timeline, which is a super-mess. They jump back and forth many years in time without ever telling the viewer - and they (viewer) can't tell for the main character Geralt doesn't age. Also the entire season is mere setup: first you get familiarized with the concept of being a Witcher: You're a ghostbuster that no one likes. Rivals will both try to enlist you against their enemy and you have to decide who's the monster. Then they tell the story of how Yennefer became a sorceress - some Harry Potter style there. And lastly and most confusing is the story of Ciri - how she became a part of Geralt's life. I don't want to spoil but the end.. let's just say Cliffhanger.

Dracula is a good example why you can't stretch every story over many hours of footage. There are some good, old movies on the subject, my favorite being Interview with a Vampire. This series neither shocks nor entertains you. It is a horror scenario, but they try to be funny.

And for the 50% tax subject:
There's one important aspect you guys didn't think of: Shall income be the only factor for measuring one's taxes? Why not tax wealth instead or a combination of both? This has come up time and again here in Germany but politicians are too afraid to tax wealth again. Though if you ask me, that would be fairer. I mean, with no heritage or other form of starting credit I pay the same taxes as someone with 5x the spending power.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:47 am 

DJ0045 wrote:
I’ve been watching Lilyhammer. I’m way late to this party, but it’s a LOT of fun. Highly recommended.

Does the overwhelming amount of subtitles become better after the initial episodes? I don't speak Norwegian and I hate watching stuff with mandatory subtitle reading. Perfectly fine if it's rare, but this show had too much for my taste. Same reason I couldn't stand Narcos.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:02 pm 

Sol77_bla wrote:
DJ0045 wrote:

Does the overwhelming amount of subtitles become better after the initial episodes? I don't speak Norwegian and I hate watching stuff with mandatory subtitle reading. Perfectly fine if it's rare, but this show had too much for my taste. Same reason I couldn't stand Narcos.

No, the subtitles never get better. The show is worth it IMO, but I'm a bit biased. My wife is Norwegian, and I speak some of the language. I get about a tenth of the dialogue without having to read it - obviously she gets virtually all of it (the dialect is different and heavily accented, so it's not 100%). I usually watch all shows with subtitles though, regardless of the language. I prefer it, so that I don't have to blast the TV and annoy my neighbors.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7433 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 372  Next