It is currently Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24800 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1234, 1235, 1236, 1237, 1238, 1239, 1240  Next
 Post subject: Re: Off Topic Thread
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:50 am 

Identity: Im not a cat
I get his comparison. Just because its legal doesnt make it right. In regards to simply owning a pistol, I disagree. I also hate the question "you know who else was 'just following orders'?" As Barney said; it's the laziest of arguments. Good for you, you can immediately jump to something you dont like to the second worst event in modern history!

Also, I like Joe. I encourage most of Joe's crazy commentary and we talk almost every day. I often feign ignorance in order to get Joe to elaborate on his stories. He is a colorful and fun individual most of the time. I'm not stressed I just didn't want to entertain this level of lunacy this early in the morning with zero caffeine.

Yes Barney, I think comparing hate groups to nazis is fine as long as they have actually espoused desires of ethnic cleansing

Edit: also we decided several years ago as a management group that we would not allow nazi references on our team when one of our supervisors was called a time card nazi by an op. It was a slightly innocent remark but we took a zero tolerance stance on that sort of thing. Double Edit: Joe is not on our team though

Link to the NGA Dead Pool post - viewtopic.php?f=62&t=20793&p=663155#p663155

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:53 am 

DJ, Who are the Romani?

I wouldn't worry about normalization of labeling everything as a Nazi (Soup nazis, Grammar nazis, etc). It's a way to remove the teeth of an awful part of history and is a healthy thing for society to do. Also, leave it to the jewish anti-defamation league to determine what's disrespectful to Jews and they don't go after this kind of stuff because there is actual anti-semetism everywhere that they stay focused on (and good for them for not making noise about nothing).

In fact, there's a great clip that Rogan highlighted once that I think does a good example of making us not lose focus...

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:00 pm 

Identity: doesnt really matter
Preferred Pronoun Set: to me
sixty4half wrote:
"you know who else was 'just following orders'?"

Yes. Prince Harry when he wore that nazi uniform to the costume party

DJ, Who are the Romani?

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:16 pm 

I wouldn't worry about normalization of labeling everything as a Nazi (Soup nazis, Grammar nazis, etc). It's a way to remove the teeth of an awful part of history and is a healthy thing for society to do. Also, leave it to the jewish anti-defamation league to determine what's disrespectful to Jews and they don't go after this kind of stuff because there is actual anti-semetism everywhere that they stay focused on (and good for them for not making noise about nothing).

In that case it's not about the person using the term but the person it was directed at. No supervisor I know would particularly like being called a time card nazi. I wouldn't take offense but that isnt the point, someone might, and if we can just avoid that confrontation by not allowing that type of talk in the first place, then I think that is the best route.

I love that Rogan clip.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:25 pm 

I used to get called a rules nazi all the time when i played board games and it never bothered me, but maybe it would be different if I had family and ancestors slaughtered by nazis, I dunno.

I really need to convert to Judaism so i can start having some serious fun

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:32 pm 

They dropped the lease for one of our towers and sold the corporate HQ tower. Our office is still missing about 60% of the people that used to work here.

I did not believe them but they really don't seem to have any plans on making our workers return to the office. Once all of our satellites fall from the sky and we go 100% IP they may start sending operations home and only have techs in the office. Actually probably only need 1/2 the techs and a couple of "remote hands" here to help the techs and engineers that just need help from their remote locations.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:55 pm 

Hey so it sounds like the Splash Mountain ride at Disney World got "cancelled" because of its ties to the Song of the South cartoon by Disney.

Really not understanding it. Going after the ride and getting it to close down is just complete lunacy, but I barely understand why Song of the South is still getting active attention paid to it. It's a VERY old cartoon when lots of movies and books had stereotypes. A movie like that would never get made today. But it's a movie that was a pretty accurate sign of views at the time so.... what's the problem? Don't air it anymore and that's it.

Huck Finn is still a great book, btw, and should be read by everybody in my view.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:06 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
Just finished Cyberpunk: Edgerunners.
8/10. If you played the game it is at least a 9/10.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:13 pm 

Quote:
Disney announced in June 2020 that it was planning to reimagine the ride after growing complaints due to its associations with the 1946 film Song of the South, namely a Change.org petition with over 21,000 signatures stating that the ride is "steeped in extremely problematic and stereotypical racist tropes."

21,000 pissed off Karens is all it took

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:20 pm 

I think the only thing the ride has in common with the movie is a song that plays during the ride. What a huge stretch to say that the RIDE is steeped in stereotypes

The movie is but it doesn’t play anymore

I went on a Disney cruise once with Emily and played this trivia game on Disney with a bunch of parents and their kids. One of the questions, asked to all the families, was “what is the only Disney movie no longer attainable through any Disney outlet or store?”

Lol, the trivia host was Irish too. Hope he didn’t get fired.

All these kids after could audibly be heard asking “daddy, what’s song of the south?”

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:36 pm 

Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: uhhhhh
Hey so it sounds like the Splash Mountain ride at Disney World got "cancelled" because of its ties to the Song of the South cartoon by Disney.

Really not understanding it. Going after the ride and getting it to close down is just complete lunacy, but I barely understand why Song of the South is still getting active attention paid to it. It's a VERY old cartoon when lots of movies and books had stereotypes. A movie like that would never get made today. But it's a movie that was a pretty accurate sign of views at the time so.... what's the problem? Don't air it anymore and that's it.

Huck Finn is still a great book, btw, and should be read by everybody in my view.

They are just changing the weird animatronics around the ride to not be so "sign of the times" from the 40s. Beyond that, it's a 30 year old ride that needed renovations anyway. The renovation harms no one.

The one true King of NGA Magic Duels on Xbox One.

You want some? Come get some. You don't like me? Bite me.

Day 1,000 of the never-ending Vert monarchy.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=16077

Magic's a simple game, 2 people take turns playing cards and in the end Divinevert wins 2-0...

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:57 pm 

They need to renovate the Its a Small World ride. Those animatronics are old and run down af, so much so it’s disturbing looking at them while the cheery song plays

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:41 am 

Since we are talking about pistols..... What is you guys' opinions on the DA deciding to charge Baldwin with Manslaughter for the 'Rust' shooting? I'm of two minds; having been around guns on-set. They didnt even have blanks in the guns on the show I worked on. They had some guy clapping wood blocks to note where special FX would put the gun shots in later. I'm sure this wasn't an option for the low budget Rust had so they decided to use blanks. I'm sure there will be a big push towards CGI gun shots for all movies going forward. As a professional I understand that people have specific things they are responsible for and with so many things going on there are jobs being done that you just have to trust were done correctly. Ex: not everyone on set is going to go check the nuts and bolts on every piece of scaffolding holding up set pieces. If something falls on a crew member that is 100% a production assistant's fault. A live bullet being in a prop gun is definitely the Armorer's fault. It's also the fault of any of the Producers for the film that were on set and did not raise concerns over the crew using live ammunition for target practice during the down time. That ammunition should never have been near the set and every Producer who knew it was there and said nothing is also responsible.

However; I also grew up around gun culture. I've taken shooting classes and, as one is required to before you can even put your hands on a gun, I've taken a couple of gun safety courses. One of the first rules you learn is to know your weapon, know if it is in safety or not and know whether it is loaded or not. And that's where I lean towards Baldwin-is-guilty. You don't just take a gun from someone and accept their word that it is unloaded without checking yourself.

You also never point a gun, loaded or unloaded, at anything you do not intend to shoot. I get that he was practicing for his scene but there was no need to be cross drawing a pistol and pointing it at a camera with someone behind it. Its definitely at least partially Baldwins fault. He has no understanding of gun safety and his actions have illustrated that 100%. He will probably go for a jury and get a few people who dont understand gun safety to let him off.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:49 am 

If Alec had never had gun training, how would he know how to properly act with it. He literally was given a gun and told to shoot it since it's not real.

Cops point guns ALL DAY LONG at things they don't intend to shoot btw. It's horrific. US armed forces NEVER do that (marines are carefully trained not to do this in foreign urban settings as it's extremely inciteful).

I think it's correct for Baldwin to get charged, but he shouldn't be found guilty. I think the armorer/prop guy should get charged with criminal negligence and be found guilty.

I don't consider Baldwin to be responsible, but the production company should correctly get sued for damages. Which SHOULD then make insurance companies force production companies to change their policies around firearms for production purposes.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:35 am 

IDK that acting while you are handling a gun requires a gun safety course. I would think that there were OSHA regulations about it or something like that but idk 100% that Alec has taken a safety course. I contend that if he had, he would know the importance of checking any weapon that is handed to you, regardless of who handed it to you and what they claim.

What makes you think a cop doesnt intend to shoot when he pulls his gun out? I would suggest you alter your thought process on this as it makes no sense and increases the danger in any situation where you might act on that thought. Now, I've seen a cop place his hand on his holstered weapon as a threat like "dont make me pull this" but I'm sure theyve already made up their mind once it comes out.

How is it correct to charge someone for a crime they are not guilty of? I dont understand what you mean.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:39 am 

I fail to see why you should use props with the same protocols as if they were real guns.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:52 am 

It's hard to understand why you even need real guns on production sets too. How hard is it to make a thing that looks and acts like a gun?

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:07 pm 

They’re not just props tho. They’re real guns. If they were fake we might have gotten a decent Crow sequel.

I have trouble faulting Baldwin because he trusted the crew to not give him a loaded weapon and it’s not like he brought his own to use. But in the same light it’s probably best to A) not use real guns as props, or B) make everyone who handles one on set take gun safety courses.

Now, if he did take a gun safety course and there was a culture of respect for dangerous weapons around the set, I’d put more fault on him.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:12 pm 

Also the person he shot and killed wasn't particularly attractive

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:32 pm 

Fair. If ur not hot, u get shot :teach:

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24800 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1234, 1235, 1236, 1237, 1238, 1239, 1240  Next