It is currently Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7570 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81 ... 379  Next
 Post subject: Re: Off Topic Thread
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:51 pm 

Yosemite

I wish I could find the video that starts a few seconds before this, where he talks about how hes neither a Democrat or Republican.

Link to the NGA Dead Pool post - https://nogoblinsallowed.com/viewtopic. ... 55#p663155

Last edited by sixty4half on Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:02 pm 

So it’s officially been one week since Trump was “acquitted”; and the dude has already had 3 more corruption scandals directly related to his impeachment trial.

I am officially at the point where I would settle for any president who wasn’t always in the news.

“As the light gains purchase, spirits are lifted and purpose is made clear.”

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:06 pm 

Identity: ItsreallyDJ0045
Preferred Pronoun Set: I'm male, lol!
Reality POTVS. Good times.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:20 pm 

My newb post of the day:

What's POTVS?

Link to the NGA Dead Pool post - https://nogoblinsallowed.com/viewtopic. ... 55#p663155

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:22 pm 

President Of The United States... except I replaced the U with a V so that TV would be in the word. As in Reality TV.

meh, not by best work.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:24 pm 

All I could fine when I googled it was Instant Pot vs The World videos

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:26 pm 

hahah... yeah that too.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:29 pm 

I’m reminded of that scene from “Who shot Mr. Burns?” where the phrase cartoonish supervillainy first entered my vocabulary.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:04 pm 

Identity: doesnt really matter
Preferred Pronoun Set: to me
I'd be curious if the DNC was super mad about the articles of impeachment being brought to bear. Tactically-speaking, like you said Timh, it's not a good move at all. It's pretty obvious they did it for other reasons. But I'd be curious if the DNC was against it. "guys...guys... not a good time"

I’d guess they knew it would fail in the senate and thought it would galvanize their base to vote in November. But my take is: their base already hates Trump and ready to vote against him, this only galvanizes Trumps base

Quote:
That being said, i don't think the solution is necessarily to not live there. There are some states where it seems like a great place to live (CA, CT, NY)

I don’t know I’d say CA is a great place to live. Cost of living is outrageous. About 1/3 of US homeless population lives in CA. LA has all the vain and fake people and SF has all the pretentious self righteous people plus literal **** on their streets. Honestly if it wasn’t for the amazeballs weather and an ailing mother in law, I’d move. Wife and Is long term plan doesn’t involve staying in Cali. Gonna sell our s***y condo and buy a veritable mansion in another state some day

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:28 pm 

DJ0045 wrote:
It's not that I think America is so great that it shouldn't be improved, I don't. In fact, I'm constantly trying to figure out a good excuse to leave my country and live somewhere else again, which I've done many times and thoroughly enjoy. It doesn't change the fact that I don't buy the way the statistics are being measured, especially with respect to health care.

Re: Police: You can't change our police unless you change our gun laws, and they aren't getting changed. You guys, Australians too, would understand why we are the way we are about guns if you'd ever tried to leave the Brits permanently, and saw your queen as the Tyrant she actually is (half kidding)*. It's integral to our nation's world view and how we managed to get out from under their thumb - a very correct decision, btw. The other problem with police: we don't have a homogeneous population in the U.S. It's a big factor for why we have heightened problems policing our people safely.

* and then developed an almost pathological hatred for tyrants in general.

Just to go back on this a bit - too be fair, Australia did change their gun laws after the Port Arthur shootings in 1996, banning pretty much all semi automatic rifles and shotguns overnight, and it went relatively smoothly
- I don't think anyone realistically thinks banning guns would ever work or even be good in america, but there seems to be severe backlash to any slight change to your laws, meaning jonnie walker can pack a autoloading cannon with explosive rounds in his back yard no questions asked :P

Last edited by NightHawk233 on Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:33 pm 

DJ0045 wrote:
It's not that I think America is so great that it shouldn't be improved, I don't. In fact, I'm constantly trying to figure out a good excuse to leave my country and live somewhere else again, which I've done many times and thoroughly enjoy. It doesn't change the fact that I don't buy the way the statistics are being measured, especially with respect to health care.

Re: Police: You can't change our police unless you change our gun laws, and they aren't getting changed. You guys, Australians too, would understand why we are the way we are about guns if you'd ever tried to leave the Brits permanently, and saw your queen as the Tyrant she actually is (half kidding)*. It's integral to our nation's world view and how we managed to get out from under their thumb - a very correct decision, btw. The other problem with police: we don't have a homogeneous population in the U.S. It's a big factor for why we have heightened problems policing our people safely.

* and then developed an almost pathological hatred for tyrants in general.

Just to go back on this a bit too be fair, Australia did change their gun laws after the Port Arthur shootings in 1996, banning pretty much all semi automatic rifles and shotguns, and it went relatively smoothly -

Yeah, fair enough... but Aussies are really weird. Have you heard about their bar rules up north? They've banned reentry into bars if you leave. Basically, if at any point after 10pm (?) you walk outside of the bar, they won't let you back in. That, and their gun laws, would never fly in the U.S. (The bar rule wouldn't fly in the U.K. either, FWIW). They made that law, because some drunk punched someone and killed them. (A minor overreaction, if you want my opinion).

Okay, now for a more reasonable response: if one event of gun violence had enough impact to get Americans to give up their guns, we'd know it by now - frankly a long time ago. We're cut from a very different kind of cloth. And for what it's worth, gun ownership is built into our constitution, it's in the bill of rights - first 10 amendments. It's constitutionally equal to the right to free speech. lol. It's not getting changed because some lunatic shoots a few people.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:41 pm 

Not arguing with you there, I think Sandy Hook proved that - if there was no major changes after that I doubt there's anything that'll push the US to make harsher gun control laws, as it's still pretty much political suicide to go after them.

Doesn't mean there can't be any shifts in policy though, america might not want to lose it's guns, but countries like Switzerland also have an absurd number of guns for their population and they do alright in regards to shootings and gun crime, not saying it's as simple as just adopting their laws but i think amendments from like the 1800's are probably a bit outdated now haha

Also woah there's another thing to add to the list of reasons i don't want to visit australia after the spiders, crocodiles, weather, and them calling prawns shrimps :p

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:49 pm 

All good, the lockout laws have mostly been removed in Australia - and the 10pm part has definitely been made less severe, I think it's 1:30 am now, which is still stupid, but at least it's reasonable. But the fact that they existed is all I ever need to know about the country. lol (JK, I've got an Aussie in the family now, so I have to be careful how much **** I talk, especially since my niece is an Aussie, and the best thing (only IMO) in the world).

As for amendments from the 1800s, I totally, in fact 100% disagree. They are still highly relevant today, and it might surprise some of you to know, that I support only the most light-handed gun laws, specifically those requiring people to have more extensive background checks before purchase/transfer. I might also support some amount of training requirements, but fwiw, for anything other than the most basic carrying rights, you do in fact have to go through some training - at least in Texas, my current home state.

Also: Melbourne is totally awesome, and I recommend it to everyone who ever gets the chance to go. I've been to more than 40 countries, and that city is easily in my top 5.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:05 pm 

Impeachment was a good strategic decision. Failing to impeach would have depressed base turnout to a point that would outweigh extra votes from “independents “. And the people who haven’t made their minds up about Trump is probably small enough that they should get a net benefit by hammering in how obviously corrupt the banana republicans acted throughout the process and continue to act.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:12 pm 

Just to go back on this a bit - too be fair, Australia did change their gun laws after the Port Arthur shootings in 1996, banning pretty much all semi automatic rifles and shotguns overnight, and it went relatively smoothly

I’m not a gun person and don’t much care about defending them in America, but there are major differences that aren’t simply cultural between US and UK or OZ. America has about 400 million guns in peoples hands. We’re also not an island nation, so even if people figured out a way to liquidate all existing fire arms (even just ones of a specific type) we have a couple long stretches of boarder north and south to smuggle in more.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:14 pm 

mjack33 wrote:
Impeachment was a good strategic decision. Failing to impeach would have depressed base turnout to a point that would outweigh extra votes from “independents “. And the people who haven’t made their minds up about Trump is probably small enough that they should get a net benefit by hammering in how obviously corrupt the banana republicans acted throughout the process and continue to act.

I think it may have an effect on Senate races (and possible House ones too). I could write the attack ads right now. We'll see how it goes, and who it benefits later, but I'm not even remotely ready to say that the strategy was flawed at this point.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:33 pm 

mjack33 wrote:

Idk man, I think Dems were more motivated than Repubs pre impeachment. Its been basically fever pitch since day 1. I don’t think the base would have depressed if impeachment articles were never brought up.

I’m not convinced people outside Dem bubbles feel the same way post impeachment. Dems rebounded in NH turnout after disappointing Iowa showing, getting numbers similar to 2008 (that was record turnout and this bit above, setting new record). However Trump also broke state’s record for primary votes on an incumbent president. Last I saw he was at 120,476 with 87% reporting. Blowing the eff out of recent incumbent numbers: Obama got 49,080 in the state, GW 53,962, Clinton 76,797. And his % share of Republican votes are within a percentage point of previous incumbent record holder Reagan.

Then I look at this poll showing more Americans saying they’re better off now than in previous elections (and majority of independents) and I can’t help but feel Dems energized Repubs with impeachment and it’s not good to have people thinking they’re better off being energized to preserve that from hostile opposition party
https://news.gallup.com/poll/285593/say ... yndication

DJs wait and see approach is correct, and I def could be wrong, but early impression is tactical error

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:24 pm 

Gallup is a bad poll.

I’m not disagreeing with your other parts of your post. I just want to make clear that Gallup has a recent history of being an outlier by a few points on most polls concerning Trump. I know this bc I keep track of a lot of polls unfortunately.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:59 am 

You know you are having a bad day when you can’t stop thinking about how **** in the head you are.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:06 am 

Therapy is awesome, Mjack. It’s a luxury of the western world that almost no one avails themselves of

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7570 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81 ... 379  Next