It is currently Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7392 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 302, 303, 304, 305, 306, 307, 308 ... 370  Next
 Post subject: Re: Off Topic Thread
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:20 pm 

Sorry I'm typing like an ass, mass shootings... like a guy on a rooftop killing a bunch of people or in schools or the likes... are those acts treated as terrorism?

The best I can say is yes and no. Publicly yes but legally no unless it's tied to foreign entity. Like the Fort Hood shooting.

The El Paso shooting however while being investigated as Domestic Terrorism,he's being charged with the following: 90 federal charges: 22 counts of committing a hate crime resulting in death, 22 counts of use of a firearm to commit murder, 23 counts of a hate crime involving an attempt to kill and 23 counts of use of a firearm during a crime.

The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon wrote:
The secret of this format is in not breaking it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:56 pm 

Pretty amazing day guys!! I have seen footage from all over the states... and I´m impressed your country did very well today... not all hope is lost... I would encourage you to try to get out a bit and participate in anyway in this thing... its never too late and damn that energy... that vibe on the streets, that sense of unity is priceless...

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:58 pm 

Are covid cases going up in the states at all or is it under control now ?

Man Walking Dead is tearing me up. I’m halfway through season five. Got super angry at losing Beth for no reason, she was my favourite and I yelled out when she got lost, then the next episode is the Tyrese one and I’m a blubbering Mess. It was so
Well done and intensely sad. Lots of emotion in just two episodes.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:53 pm 

The plague and unemployment are still issues. We just can’t seem to multitask. Squirrel nation representing yo.

“As the light gains purchase, spirits are lifted and purpose is made clear.”

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:57 pm 

Are covid cases going up in the states at all or is it under control now ?
Man Walking Dead is tearing me up. I’m halfway through season five. Got super angry at losing Beth for no reason, she was my favourite and I yelled out when she got lost, then the next episode is the Tyrese one and I’m a blubbering Mess. It was so
Well done and intensely sad. Lots of emotion in just two episodes.

I´m gonna watch Bojack Horseman last 6 episodes... damn that series is amazing!!

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:09 pm 

Bojack Horseman is the perfect example of why my family won’t ever get to use my streaming services ever again. Never seen the show; but my account certainly had due to other people in same household at the time and my parents wanted to know wtf it was.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:46 pm 

No, but sometimes the US government will classify them as acts of terrorism as it revokes many of the perp's rights and allows the investigation to take many liberties. That's been a main driver of why so many acts are deemed acts of terrorism in the last decade.

True terrorism should be to instill fear to advance a political agenda.

Acts of pure psychopathy like the Newtown/Aurora shootings aren't acts of terrorism. Just mass shootings/murders

So white supremacists killing black people is terrorism?

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:59 pm 

so, i guess this happens to white people regularly? https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/nyc-soc ... 00448.html

Sheldon wrote:

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:17 pm 

@deadpoet. Maybe in the 1910s?

It’s weird to be replaying Bioshock Infinite atm; bc some of the lore videos are designed to shoe Colombia as racist af. For example, the news reel on “the Irish Problem“. It’s designed to be a crazy caricature; but this stuff actually happened and still happens to some other groups.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:23 pm 

Identity: ItsreallyDJ0045
Preferred Pronoun Set: I'm male, lol!
deadpoet wrote:
so, i guess this happens to white people regularly? https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/nyc-soc ... 00448.html

I wouldn’t hesitate to call the police if I saw suspicious behavior in my building, white, black, or otherwise. I’ve had the police called on me for suspicious behavior... that one’s a hilarious story, but it happened none the less, and ended with my arrest at gun point, and subsequent immediate release.

This, however, seems to be something entirely different, and no, I suspect this does not happen frequently to white people. However, I’d imagine it could happen if a white person, who did not seem to belong, loitered in a sufficiently affluent neighborhood. Again, I don’t think the glove fits in this situation, which seems pretty awful.

Edit: but, fwiw, classism doesn’t have to be based purely on race.

Last edited by DJ0045 on Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:24 pm 

Identity: ItsreallyDJ0045
Preferred Pronoun Set: I'm male, lol!
No, but sometimes the US government will classify them as acts of terrorism as it revokes many of the perp's rights and allows the investigation to take many liberties. That's been a main driver of why so many acts are deemed acts of terrorism in the last decade.

True terrorism should be to instill fear to advance a political agenda.

Acts of pure psychopathy like the Newtown/Aurora shootings aren't acts of terrorism. Just mass shootings/murders

So white supremacists killing black people is terrorism?

Certainly. Especially if they are members of a larger group, for example the KKK, with a specific agenda, including fear.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:25 am 

Identity: doesnt really matter
Preferred Pronoun Set: to me
DJ0045 wrote:
This, however, seems to be something entirely different, and no, I suspect this does not happen frequently to white people. However, I’d imagine it could happen if a white person, who did not seem to belong, loitered in a sufficiently affluent neighborhood. Again, I don’t think the glove fits in this situation, which seems pretty awful.

As a young buck, I was driving with a black friend in Flint, and he stopped at one of his friends houses in a gang neighborhood to pick something up. He told me to duck down and hide on the floorboards of the car until he got back. I asked why and he said “you white, it’s not safe for you here”. People in that neighborhood wouldn’t have called the police on me for looking out of place, they would have Handled It themselves.

But yes, the situation in the article doesn’t really happen to white people in modern America over skin color. Maybe as a function of affluence to some degree, where wealthy people would be more likely to call the police on someone who looks out of place and poorer communities more likely to police that kind of thing themselves. It absolutely happens to white people on the basis of class. I moved out to California as a poor AF 20 yo in a rusted out beater with just a bag of cloths and the small amount of money I had managed to save up. Through some circumstances, I initially landed in Clean and Corporate Orange County, and shortly after started dating a girl who lived with her gma in Palos Verdes (super rich area, think like Beverly Hills only more isolated by geography). I got pulled over constantly as a punk rock kid in a trash vehicle driving through nice neighborhoods, for no legitimate traffic violation (I never received a single ticket). I’d guess a dozen times in my first 6 months living there. 3 of those times I was explicitly told it was because I didn’t look like I belonged there - 1 time having my vehicle searched while I was ordered to sit on the curb, and one time on my girl friend’s street 50 feet away from her driveway. I didn’t stop having unjustified encounters with police until I moved out of OC and into a poor neighborhood in LB.

Another time when I was living in Flint, I got arrested when a friend I was visiting in an affluent suburb shop lifted a bottle of wine from a grocery store. While in the holding cell I was visited by 2 officers who stood outside my cell berating me, telling me to keep my **** Flint self out of their city. My friend with a local address on his ID did not receive the same treatment. Note I did not steal anything while my friend did.

There’s a class element that gets lost when there’s a singular focus elsewhere.

Last edited by The Secret of TIMH on Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:40 am 

deadpoet wrote:

I’d guess you have no idea that for every prominent story in the last decade that’s gripped the American public about a black person being unjustly killed by police there is a doppelgänger story with a white victim - including Floyd (Tony Timpa). But if you think narrative is necessarily reality, go on then. Im just not going to feel shame for thinking the problem needs to be viewed dispassionately and objectively if there’s to be any hope of effective solutions.

The problem is that there's a hell of lot of history whites mistreating (understatement) blacks as opposed to whites mistreating other whites. And IMO being dispassionate and objective means you're going to ignore the history.

You’re thinking of white people here as a homogeneous block, which is an error. Ask Italians or Irish or Germans or Eastern European communities how they were treated by White People(TM) in America’s history.

There is a long history of mistreatment of black Americans. I acknowledged some pages back that I can understand how certain narratives developed. There has been progress throughout time, and at some point the narratives that have a wholly legitimate bases for existing need to be re-examined and adjusted. I have friends who take the position that America has never been more racist, and that does not jive with my experiences and observations. America tolerates open expressions of racism less today than 20 years ago by a notable degree.

At some point a history of mistreatment can be largely overcome. Japanese Americans had their property stolen and were placed in internment camps in the last century, but today they demographically out earn their white counterparts. Asian (in multiple ethnicities) and Jewish demographics are the highest earners in America, and no sensible person would claim they did not experience horrible mistreatment historically. Asians killing it so hard rn that universities are implementing reverse AA on them. I’m friends with a Latino guy at work who complains our workplace is racist because there are too many Asians and not enough blacks and Latinos. He even wrote a Glassdoor post about it, adding further evidence of racism because a white girl won a promotion he was aiming for over him. I couldn’t help but lol internally over an imagined alternate universe where he won the promotion and she made a Glassdoor post about how the company was sexist for promoting a man over her.

I don’t see how being dispassionate and objective means you ignore history. That doesn’t follow. As a relevant example, looking at history (red lining, white flight, etc etc) can explain why black Americans have proportionally higher rates of poverty. That poverty contributes to criminality. Increased criminality leads to increased police encounters, resulting in proportionally higher rates of police killings. But if your narrative has the wrong focus, your solutions won’t address the source of the problem. You can look at statics compiled by the FBI and Washing Post and see proportional rates of killings vs criminality do not support a conclusion of racial bias in this area (https://mobile.twitter.com/LeonydusJohn ... 5844740098). If your solutions are more anti bias trainings for police and other things along that line, you’re not going to fix anything. Even if your solution involves something that successfully increases the rates at which unjust killings lead to successful charges against offending officers and/or the total number of unjust killings decline, the narrative will remain unchanged because some number will still occur and you’ll still have the problems that lead to increased (proportionally) encounters.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:34 am 

deadpoet wrote:

I’d guess you have no idea that for every prominent story in the last decade that’s gripped the American public about a black person being unjustly killed by police there is a doppelgänger story with a white victim - including Floyd (Tony Timpa). But if you think narrative is necessarily reality, go on then. Im just not going to feel shame for thinking the problem needs to be viewed dispassionately and objectively if there’s to be any hope of effective solutions.

The problem is that there's a hell of lot of history whites mistreating (understatement) blacks as opposed to whites mistreating other whites. And IMO being dispassionate and objective means you're going to ignore the history.

You’re thinking of white people here as a homogeneous block, which is an error. Ask Italians or Irish or Germans or Eastern European communities how they were treated by White People(TM) in America’s history.

There is a long history of mistreatment of black Americans. I acknowledged some pages back that I can understand how certain narratives developed. There has been progress throughout time, and at some point the narratives that have a wholly legitimate bases for existing need to be re-examined and adjusted. I have friends who take the position that America has never been more racist, and that does not jive with my experiences and observations. America tolerates open expressions of racism less today than 20 years ago by a notable degree.

At some point a history of mistreatment can be largely overcome. Japanese Americans were interned in the last century, but today they demographically out earn their white counterparts. Asian (in multiple ethnicities) and Jewish demographics are the highest earners in America, and no sensible person would claim they did not experience horrible mistreatment historically. Asians killing it so hard rn that universities are implementing reverse AA on them. I’m friends with a Latino guy at work who complains our workplace is racist because there are too many Asians and not enough blacks and Latinos.

So,when were the Italians/irish/Germeans enslaved,or lynched for even looking at a white woman? Jim crow type of laws, etc Being enslaved is kind of a hard thing to over come. The closest to that kind of treatment would be the internment camps and we paid the Japanese Americans for that massive mistake.

https://www.history.com/topics/black-hi ... lack-codes
https://www.history.com/topics/early-20 ... -crow-laws

In the ‘60s, during the Newark riots, you could hear the looters shouting, "That was my 40 acres, I'll be back for the mule."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forty_acr ... ule#Legacy

I think part of the problem is cultural/regional and YMMV.

Sheldon wrote:

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:48 am 

Sheldon wrote:

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:07 am 

Sheldon wrote:

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:14 am 

Getting back to Civ 6, I started as Cleo for my take over the world run,

Sheldon wrote:

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:59 am 

There is a long history of mistreatment of black Americans. I acknowledged some pages back that I can understand how certain narratives developed. There has been progress throughout time, and at some point the narratives that have a wholly legitimate bases for existing need to be re-examined and adjusted.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:42 am 

blarg

Sheldon wrote:

Last edited by deadpoet on Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:50 am 

From the NAACP's instagram

Sheldon wrote:

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7392 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 302, 303, 304, 305, 306, 307, 308 ... 370  Next