It is currently Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9552 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 448, 449, 450, 451, 452, 453, 454 ... 478  Next
 Post subject: Re: Off Topic Thread
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:52 pm 

Identity: ItsreallyDJ0045
Preferred Pronoun Set: I'm male, lol!

This dude deserves more views, and is actually doing a great job.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:18 pm 

97% votes counted:

78% Aproves
22% Rejects
Pinochet constitution has been absolutely destroyed!!!

Participacion is still uncertain but it's very clear at this stage that it's a participation record since the voluntary vote.

So hapyy :D
Update:

Participation is about 52% which is not as high as I was hoping but is still a new record, political balances are going to change but not largely which might be a good thing for stability, this will be the first constitution in the world that will have gender parity.

Edit2: three and a half hours after tables were closed we have 97% of votes count... Pretty amazing.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:56 pm 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/25/worl ... scite.html

I think it's going to be the first constitution drafted in the age of social media which will be interesting to watch.

The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon wrote:
The secret of this format is in not breaking it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:59 pm 

Identity: doesnt really matter
Preferred Pronoun Set: to me
October horror binge reviews part 3

Stake Land
-post apocalyptic vampire horror. A disease swept across the globe and turned people into feral vampires; a Man and a Boy must fend off men and beasts in search of a safe haven. This was kinda like if The Road had a baby with I Am Legend. Low budget film, but it didn’t look low budget. A lot of things to like in this film. I’m a sucker for the badass and the child trope. I’m also a sucker for post apocalyptic stories. This one keeps a good pace, with plenty of action to keep you engaged. I liked it. I would have loved it if they hadn’t made the villainous human group ham-fisted cheeseballs, and done a really stupid thing with their leader near the end of the film. More subtlety with the human villains and straight nix what they did with the leader and this would be one of my favorites of the month.
7/10

Follow up review:
Kingdom
Finished season 2. This series is excellent. Watch how they resolve the battle for the throne in this, remember how Game of Thrones ended, and laugh in Korean. Kingdom has more seasons to come and maybe they’ll fall off, but 1st two seasons are killing it.
9/10

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:54 am 

I think I'm gonna watch the cardboard maze one 2nite

Link to the NGA Dead Pool post - https://nogoblinsallowed.com/viewtopic. ... 55#p663155

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:32 am 

yeah, which one was that? Circle? Let me know how it is

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:25 am 

Here's a completely random thing I've noticed in my many years wasting my life on internet forums - where are all the Spanish people hiding?

There's 45 million people living in spain and i think i'd genuinely struggle to name one spanish person i've met over the internet.

Don't think it's a language thing either - Germans? They're everywhere. French? All over the place. Hell, i can name at least 3 Portuguese NGA'ers alone and they live right next to spain.

I think there's something more going on here, the spanish are planning something big and we must be prepar-

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:24 am 

so,this popped up on my facebook feed from '17

"Amelia smiled as she glided down the stairs to the grand ballroom. Her silver earrings captured the light from the chandelier and glinted, catching the attention of several people. For a moment, she swept her gaze across the room as more and more people glanced up to appraise her dress. It was really on the verge of starting a new fashion trend, and the people knew it. The striking red corset top matched the fiery red in her hair perfectly, and flowed into a single red fold down the front of the dress. To either side, a midnight black seemed to shimmer, almost dazzling the eye. The high back of her dress, and wide shoulder, drew the eye to her face."

Nothing,i've done recently matches that quality of writing

Sheldon wrote:

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:19 pm 

Thank god

Link to the NGA Dead Pool post - https://nogoblinsallowed.com/viewtopic. ... 55#p663155

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:18 pm 

October horror reviews part 4

Afflicted
-Canadian Indi found footage horror. 2 guys set out to film their year long journey around the world, but things go sideways when one of them contracts a mysterious... affliction. I had never heard of this before, but it was in a list of underrated horror movies and sounded interesting, so I gave it a shot. Glad I did, this was really good. Hidden gem. More thriller than horror. It’s less than 90 mins run time, and it felt shorter than that even to me, as the pace is quick and watching the affliction develop is gripping. I wouldn’t have minded if it was longer. The 2 main actors are also the guys who wrote and directed it - which is pretty impressive considering the movie is good AND they aren’t terrible actors.
8/10

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:25 pm 

sixty4half wrote:
Thank god

**** off

Sheldon wrote:

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:34 pm 

We used to be on 80%+ with mandatory vote... I think we should absolutely reinstall it in the new constitution.

Interesting stuff going on in your country - seems like an exciting time for you.

What’s the appeal of mandatory voting tho? Why is it necessary for people to vote if they aren’t engaged or don’t otherwise care to?

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:05 pm 

We used to be on 80%+ with mandatory vote... I think we should absolutely reinstall it in the new constitution.

Interesting stuff going on in your country - seems like an exciting time for you.

What’s the appeal of mandatory voting tho? Why is it necessary for people to vote if they aren’t engaged or don’t otherwise care to?

It's very important for all to vote cuz otherwise fringe groups get too much representation. Unengaged voters are most moderates so they round off the vote in a good way and limit the representation of the more fringe parties. It's a very important thing in some democratic systems, not so much the States obviously since you really only have two parties.

Hey Timh, i finished rewatching Silence of the Lambs last night. Still as good as ever.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:40 pm 

That doesn’t make sense to me. How are politically engaged people more likely to support fringe than disengaged people? I know anarcho-primitivists (don’t get much more fringe than that) who have never voted and would not support moderate policies if they did - pressed with mandatory voting, they’d support whatever policy they believe would be most likely to cause the system to crash and burn.

I don’t favor campaigns that encourage uninformed people to vote either. Seems to me that just further privileges whoever can run the most effective ad campaign and get the broadest name recognition. Maybe I just don’t know what it’s like to live somewhere with more than 2 viable parties, but it seems like a bad idea in the US. Would just become a blood sport for control over pop culture.

Oh yeah, Silence of the Lambs is classic

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:11 pm 

well,i've been thinking about this for a while and i hate to say it but,i'm out of here for now. I tried playing the be a trolling **** but it just isn't me. If i wanted that type of interaction,i'd go to wherever the Otters went to.

Sheldon wrote:

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:18 pm 

The way it used to work is that once you got your electoral ID... -sort of speak- then it became mandatory for you to vote in every election, you could not stay at home and not vote... if you are on the padron... then is mandatory for you to vote forever... even if you are outside the country -I had to do this once for a presidential election-

We changed that to auto inscription and voluntary vote... so now you could vote when ever you feel like it but you were not obliged to do it in every other election... this lead to a steady decline in participation -this and a lot of other reasons- what we are aiming now is to reinstall civic education in the school curriculum and mandatory vote for people in the padron... you will not be forced to vote if you dont want to but if you want to vote you will have to keep voting... you become an instrumental part of democracy and you do it with civic responsibility.

Civic ED was abolished during Pinochet dictatorship... before that they teached every person that completed the scholarship how to vote...how congress works... how laws are passed.... how you write a check... what are taxes used for... what does it mean to sign a contract and the likes, this was huge and during the 60´s people used to have an informed opinion on lots of issues.

Today a politician was discussing that people drifted away from politics and that is an easy way to analyze the current state of things... easy for politicians at least ... but it's the other way around... Politicians drifted away from people... they have completely lost connection... mandatory vote is a way keep a steady flow of voters into democracy in an attempt to avoid those disconnections.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:58 am 

So democrats are gonna finally fight fire with fire?

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:50 am 

What do you mean “finally”?

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:54 am 

Dems have been playing the good guys and high road for a long time. I guess Cucho is asking if Dems are gonna start using political tricks, gerrymandering and voter suppression (oh wait, scratch that last one, that woldn't work) . That's my guess as to what our favourite Chilean is saying

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:27 pm 

No they haven’t. High road like accepting election results? You honestly think Dems don’t engage in gerrymandering? You sleep through Kavanaugh and reverse Biden accusation? Sleep through ending the filibuster (bet they wish Ried hadn’t done that now)? How about impeachment? It’s all a stupid game one side tits and the other tats. “Finally” lol

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9552 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 448, 449, 450, 451, 452, 453, 454 ... 478  Next