It is currently Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10285 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 466, 467, 468, 469, 470, 471, 472 ... 515  Next
 Post subject: Re: Off Topic Thread
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:55 am 

I honestly believe 3, 4 and 5 are an EXTREMELY small portion of the population. Like maybe 2%. Then again TWO of my close friends are types 4 and 5. So maybe it's more prevalent than I think.

Bucket #1 is mostly immigrants and low-educated. I disagree that they will feel fine cuz if their news source is bad (FoxNews or worse) then they will get told that the far left is taking over (which isn't true)

I have deep respect for bucket #2 cuz that's how I started off 25 years ago. I'm a big Goldwater fan and loved his fiscal conservatism paired with social liberalism.

Anyway, it's a nation of enemies from the politicians right to the media companies. Everyone is playing their part in making it worse and worse.

Like Chappelle said and pleaded, just try to live your lives instead. I think that's the best we can do. And don't hate each other. I have to talk my mom continuously off the ledge when it comes to Trump and Southerners and everything. She just wants to paint away so many people and i keep telling her how bad that is.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:10 am 

Identity: ItsreallyDJ0045
Preferred Pronoun Set: I'm male, lol!
3, 4, 5 are very prevalent right now. They describe many of the people I know. You may simply have less connections outside of your comfort zone. Because I was a DJ for years, I have a lot of people on Facebook and other social media (as well as in my personal life) from a random assortment of people.

I'm also from a very conservative state, which means I am much more likely to encounter 3, 4, and 5 just randomly.

I think it's more like 10%. 70 million people ignored the dangers of Trump (and let's be clear, he is dangerous), I suspect up to a third of them are in the 3, 4, and 5 (or similar) buckets.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:01 am 

I think the media is a symptom, not a cause, although they do exacerbate the situation.

It all started with Fox news. The realized that they could make money off of slanting their coverage to the right. They were not successful because they converted people to their point of view, they were successful because they had an untapped audience out there that wanted to be spoon fed news that aligned with their views. Later, media realized the same thing on the left, and started to tailor their cover to be the left version of Fox.

It is all about $$$ and the $$$ comes from what people want. People claim to want fair and balanced news, but what most people want is news they agree with to be considered fair and balanced.

Now, I am not saying they are innocent, they are stoking the flames, but as Billy Joel said, we didn't start the fire. They are adding gas to the fire though. It has become a self-perpetuating cycle.

My only point is that I think the underlying cause is human nature. We can make laws and such to limit the damage, but deep down, imo, the majority of people would rather be validated then be right.

The Fairness Doctrine that Reagan did away with could help, but it would need to be updated for today's technology. As example, it would not have stopped Fox since Fox was a cable channel and not subject to the law. I don't think we have the political will to do that or something like that though. Both sides will see it as limiting free speech.

IMO, I think we have gone too far down the path to easily recover from. I think we will need a major event to shake us up and change our mindset, but I hope I am wrong on that.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:22 am 

Identity: doesnt really matter
Preferred Pronoun Set: to me
I think #1s isn’t just immigrants and low educated. I’d say it also includes people who don’t like the cultural far left. I’d say this is where you find numbers of disaffected liberals

I don’t think all of #4s are irredeemable. I think these include working class people who the cosmopolitan left have been abandoning more and more since the 90s. These are people some on the left have open contempt for right now - see it in opinion pieces in media. Similar thing in Britain, imo, with working class and Labour party, which manifested in Brexit and with communities that never voted Tory in their lives going Tory last election. I’d say there’s a number of those people who supported Trump (or Boris in UK) for the sake of disruption in a way to make their complains noticed. Think some numbers from same working class groups fall into #5 and are less redeemable due to their nihilistic sadism.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:44 am 

Mass media sets the subjects they manage what people talks and don't talk about... But the real issue is how social networks polarize those discussions, how they a isolate people in their ecochambers... Dunno for sure but my bet is that people inform them selfs through social networks more than mass media in the US... Just like in the rest of the world.

How much more impact does Facebook, Twitter, Whatsap and YouTube have in comparison to Fox News and CNN?

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:51 pm 

Lmao - The Economist got Pun Dog working their Twitter account

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheEconomist ... 7926971392

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:08 pm 

Must be a punny hound.

“As the light gains purchase, spirits are lifted and purpose is made clear.”

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:28 pm 

Maybe if the covid deaths happened all at once instead of over days,weeks and months we'd care more.

I just lost another friend to covid,she ran marathons and was perfectly healthy...

The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon wrote:
The secret of this format is in not breaking it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:06 pm 

That sucks man. Sorry for your loss

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:47 pm 

Single “events” in US history that exceed Covid deaths:

Spanish Flu
Civil War
World War II

5th place is WW1 iirc.

Events is in quotes bc some of the things lower on the list were thousands of deaths over a very small period while the five above are all multiyear iirc.

“As the light gains purchase, spirits are lifted and purpose is made clear.”

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:43 pm 

oh how quickly they forget https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/sta ... 8910027776

EDIT:so you don't need to click if you don't want to

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
If this doctor, who so recklessly flew into New York from West Africa,has Ebola,then Obama should apologize to the American people & resign!
5:38 PM · Oct 23, 2014·Twitter for Android

The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon wrote:
The secret of this format is in not breaking it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:33 am 

Examples of Trump saying whatever is expedient in the moment is as natural as rain on a GD Sunday morning

Spoiler

EDIT: idgaf, the Mandalorian is the best Star Wars since OT. Take the culture of the most iconic side character from OT, the (most likely, with info drop from S2E3) best character from Clone Wars, add in the cutest and best comic relief “baby” ever and serve it up episodically. Give Favreau the keys to the franchise already :king:

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:22 am 

Link to the NGA Dead Pool post - https://nogoblinsallowed.com/viewtopic. ... 55#p663155

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:03 am 

https://twitter.com/MaxCRoser/status/13 ... 54368?s=19

"Austria has now the highest rate of confirmed cases in the world. ..."

Last edited by DaRkStAr on Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:12 am 

Congrats Darkstar, we all knew you could do it

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:30 am 

This is Austria hoping they don't end up (Sebastian) short.

I'll see myself out.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:26 am 

I need mjack to explain me this joke... :confused:

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:29 am 

Kurz = Short

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:34 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: Mr.
Examples of Trump saying whatever is expedient in the moment is as natural as rain on a GD Sunday morning

Spoiler

EDIT: idgaf, the Mandalorian is the best Star Wars since OT. Take the culture of the most iconic side character from OT, the (most likely, with info drop from S2E3) best character from Clone Wars, add in the cutest and best comic relief “baby” ever and serve it up episodically. Give Favreau the keys to the franchise already :king:

Feeling stupid for a Wars Head here but what is OT? I'm figuring I know but it's just not clicking right now. Love Mando. Finished Clone Wars a week or so ago and started on Rebels. The change in animation was a shock and some of the storywork is a little cheese but I'm growing into it. Haven't seen episode three of Mando yet. I had what has only been my second acoustic gig this year because of covid. I would normally have had 15 or so in and an extra couple thousand dollars in my pocket for the year. I will be first in line for vaccination and I never get flu shots.
One of the strangest gigs I've ever played. A really hip waffle and ice cream shop in Maplewood, Mo. with a sound stage. No booze. I brought myself some Old Bakery Porter tall boys and smoked a little weed before hand. Issue solved. They didn't advertise us on their events page as we have the honor of being the last show before St. Louis goes back into lockdown.

https://www.boardwalkwaffles.com/

Undercity Coliseum Tournament, NGA KOTH and even some entertaining dailys up now and streaming (sometimes)!!!! Make sure you subscribe.
https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster
My band Shakey Deal YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBpPU1fbAjSPTfu3g0vubLw
Shakey Deal Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ShakeyDeal.Neil.Young.tribute/

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:48 pm 

Identity: ItsreallyDJ0045
Preferred Pronoun Set: I'm male, lol!
OT: Original trilogy

But I prefer “Only” lol

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10285 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 466, 467, 468, 469, 470, 471, 472 ... 515  Next