It is currently Wed May 22, 2019 10:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:21 am 

Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: uhhhhh
Manabase is solid.

The one true King of NGA Magic Duels on Xbox One.

You want some? Come get some. You don't like me? Bite me.

Day 1,000 of the never-ending Vert monarchy.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=16077

Magic's a simple game, 2 people take turns playing cards and in the end Divinevert wins 2-0...

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:33 pm 

P1P1, Chillbringer or Precognitive Perception?

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:07 pm 

Identity: doesnt really matter
Preferred Pronoun Set: to me
I'd take Precog. You're more likely to get Chillys later at common anyways - but Chilly keeps you more open to having U be a 3rd color splash if the rest of your packs dictate that. Don't think Chilly would be Wrong, but personally I'd take Precog there at P1P1. Darn good card.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:26 am 

Followed your advice and wound up with this pool:

2 x Sky Tether

1 x Concordia Pegasus
1 x Faerie Duelist
1 x Quench
1 x Shimmer of Possibility
1 x Slimebind
1 x Essence Capture

1 x Arrester's Admonition
1 x High Alert
2 x Gateway Sneak
1 x Azorius Locket
1 x Absorb
1 x Orzhov Locket

1 x Spirit of the Spires
1 x Junktroller

1 x Chillbringer
1 x Precognitive Perception
1 x Mesmerizing Benthid
1 x Blade Juggler

1 x Gate Colossus
1 x Consign to the Pit

3 x Plains
9 x Island
1 x Azorius Guildgate
1 x Orzhov Guildate
2 x Rakdos Guildgate
1 x Simic Guildgate

Notable cards in sideboard: Carrion Imp, Dovin's Acuity, Cry of the Carnarium, 2 Thought Collapse. The deck as I built it crashed and burned at 1-3. I lost one game getting burned out by Fireblade Artist, another to mana screw, and the last to Ethereal Absolution. I was holding Absorb in hand, but opponent had a big board, and I decided to play Gate Colossus that turn. When the enchantment hit the battlefield I knew I had no way to kill it and just conceded.

No idea if the build was right. The big creatures seem pretty bad: deathtouchers appear to be quite common.

Next draft, P1P1, Sphinx of New Prahv, Windstorm Drake, Sunder Shaman, or Lawmage's Binding?

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:53 am 

10 creatures feels too low, but you have cheap ways to neutralize threats and Precog to help find Colossus or High Alert when you have butts on board (and HA + Benthid is good stuff). Curious to hear how the games go.

Tricky P1P1 for new draft, but I'd prob take the removal or Shaman. I don't like Drake pick 1 - not as good as the other 5 mana 3/3s unless you have a lot of flyers. It's something I'd rather pick up later in the draft when I know I can get there. Sphinx is fine if you know your Azorius, but I don't see it as a card that points you there P1P1 (3 butt not great). Shaman demands an answer, but carries the same baggage of heavy investment in its guild's colors as the other XXYY creatures - but more worth it than Sphinx imo. Removal is safest pick as it can be splashed in Simic or Orzhov if your packs don't give you good Azorius.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:31 pm 

Like I said, went 1-3. Didn't draw High Alert once, and only cast Benthid once too :( And okay, will take Lawmage's Binding. I haven't played that many RNA drafts, but somehow, most of my decks seem to end up in Esper.

Also wtf happened to the previous draft where I P1P1'ed an Ethereal Absolution? I was expecting to be able to complete the draft when RNA drafts rolled around again, but I don't see it anymore?

EDIT: Going to take this to battle when I finish the draft probably later today :)

2 x Faerie Duelist
1 x Sage Row's Savant
1 x Sentinel's Mark
1 x Summary Judgment
1 x Final Payment

1 x Azorius Locket
1 x Ministrant of Obligation
1 x Arrester's Admonition
1 x Thought Collapse
2 x Lawmage's Binding
1 x Mortify

1 x Senate Griffin
1 x Sphinx of Foresight

2 x Grasping Thrull
1 x Chillbringer
1 x Lumbering Battlement

1 x Archway Angel
1 x Gateway Colossus

3 x Orzhov Guildgate
3 x Azorius Guildgate
1 x Gateway Plaza
3 x Plans
6 x Island
1 x Swamp

With these on-color cards in sideboard: Concordia Pegasus, another Sentinel's Mark, Rally to Battle, Knight of Sorrows, Watchful Giant, another Sage's Row Savant, Slimebind, Humongulus, Swirling Torrent, Scuttlegator.

I wonder if I misevaluated anything. Like, is Swirling Torrent good? It looks quite powerful, but the mana cost is very high.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:59 pm 

Oops - I completely missed the line where you said your results. Derp.

Your 2nd list looks a lot better tho. Swirling Torrent is ok. Not right for every deck, but I think it'd be good in yours. You're trying to win in the air or with Colossus - ST lets you clear flying or >2 power blockers and time walk opponent. I think it'd be a good finisher piece, that can double as an out if opp pacifies your Colossus - or bounce Angel to gain more life (I know you have that with Admonition, but redundancy there isn't bad and primary option to remove 2 blockers and kill opps next draw is good here). I'd prob -1 Thought Collapse, +1 Torrent.

Of other sideboard cards, only Mark and Slime are worth considering. I don't see anything I'd take out for them tho. Ideally would upgrade/replace Savant, but I don't think you want to go lower on creature count (especially when you have 4 total in the 2-3 drop range).

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:35 am 

How'd the deck do? Looked good enough to post a winning record, with quality removal in the 2-3 range and quality flyers plus Colossus at the top of curve.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:41 pm 

Been a while but think it went 3-3. If I remember right I played badly and lost some games, or was unlucky at some points; the deck was good. I vaguely remember not using Lawmage's Binding on my opponent's Forbidding Spirit because I didn't think I'd be under pressure, but then I got tempoed out. Damn.

If you like thinking about draft, let me know which five cards you think I should cut from this deck :)

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:08 pm 

Oh, I'm all about limited. Like 90% of my magic attention is focused on it. Surprised that list didn't do better.

I'd probably cut the two 1 mana tricks, the 2 Rubblebelt Recluses, and brushrider.

-Brushrider is pretty mediocre filler.
-You have 3 Rendhorns, so you're not desperate for beef at that cmc. Sucks to play a Recluse and watch it force attack into a deathtouch kitty. I like Recluse a little better in Bo3 where you can board it in if you know you're not up against deathtouch.
-Stony strength is pretty meh. I wouldn't run it unless desperate for some sort of interaction. You have better tricks.
-Storm Strike is better cause you can blow out double blocks on occasion, but not essential. With Domri and Rhythm, you want to prioritize creature density, imo. Possible strike is better than scorchmark in your deck, but scorch is nice vs Orzhov and their Afterlife stuff.

I'm not sure Gates Ablaze wants to be in this deck, but lacking flyer defense it seems good being able to hold off committing more creatures to the board when things start going sideways, wiping the board, and playing out hastey rioters. Worth testing out. Mammoth Spider isn't flashy, but maybe needs to come out of sideboard... maybe.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:19 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: SleepHmper on XBL add me
Here are some winning RNA decks i have come across on twitter from magicfest strausburg. I meant to post them long ago. Next time I will have a link to the tweet.
Simic splash
Attachment:
D0N75D_X0AA9Lau.jpg
D0N75D_X0AA9Lau.jpg [ 190.63 KiB | Viewed 549 times ]

Simic splash
Attachment:
DzkEtoHWsAAFr-h.jpg
DzkEtoHWsAAFr-h.jpg [ 188.75 KiB | Viewed 549 times ]

Orzohv splash
Attachment:
DzkMal2WsAEmCZX.jpg
DzkMal2WsAEmCZX.jpg [ 213.82 KiB | Viewed 549 times ]

—Koth of the Hammer

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:22 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: SleepHmper on XBL add me
couple more...
strait up mardu
Attachment:
DzkNBKjW0AEyOpX.jpg
DzkNBKjW0AEyOpX.jpg [ 196.47 KiB | Viewed 549 times ]

Rakdos splash
Attachment:
DzkOGZvXgAAG8yR.jpg
DzkOGZvXgAAG8yR.jpg [ 200.76 KiB | Viewed 549 times ]

—Koth of the Hammer

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:17 pm 

Did you guys knew that there are print runs for MTGA, and that you can know what Uncommons the bot to your right has taken just by looking at the 2 remaining ones?!

This happens because the Uncommon cards have always a predetermined order in which they appear in packs.

This is huuuuge info, I´m amazed no one has bring it up... I´m some what excused coz I have been not drafting in a while... mainly coz I dont want to keep dropping money on the client so I was saving my gold and being a Spiky Standard player... anyway just wanted to leave this thing here if anyone was still unaware of this.

so this is what you have to do:

1. Check the pack... -pun not intended- and see what Uncommons are still in
2. If one is missing then check what the other 2 are and find its order in the print run
3. Now you know which 2 cards the guy from your right might have taken... If the two cards are consecutive in order... if not then the card in between is the card that is missing.

Sooo, if you have a pack with:
Regenesis & Angelic Exaltation

You now know that this are the uncommons that the guy to your right might have taken:

Gyre Engineer
Regenesis
Angelic Exaltation
Sentinel's Mark

On the other hand if you have a pack with:

Bankrupt in Blood
Galloping Lizrog

you check the list:

Bankrupt in Blood
Clear the Stage
Galloping Lizrog

and now you know that the guy to your right picked Clear the Stage....

This is extremely useful to ping point what is open and what is not.

PRINT RUN
Spoiler

All credit goes to our beloved CardBoardNomad

Print run added to the OP

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:39 am 

I don't understand, what's a print run?

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:44 am 

I understand that is the order in which cards are printed, those huge sheets of cards pre cut, I heard Ryan Spain saying that the uncommons were ordered in packs this way to avoid extreme good/bad card pools in sealed, thus ensuring some decent amount of balance in the format.

The thing is that now you can use that order to understand what the bots from your right are picking.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:54 am 

What ... any source on this?

@TIMH - Well a good deck is only half the battle. You still have to play well, and if I played poorly and lost I'm not going to complain.

For this run, I cut the two Rubblebelt Recluse (since I already had Rendhorns), Brushstrider (originally thought I needed it for curve, then decided probably not) and both combat tricks (what else? I'm certainly not cutting creatures with Domri in the deck) and went 7-2. I lost one game to mana screw, the other because I misplayed. Facing an opponent with lots of chump blockers who was also pinging me in the air + with Ill-Gotten Inheritance (this card is steadily rising in my estimation), I had 5 mana available. My hand was Domri, Gravel-Hide Goblin, Rendhorn, and Gate Colossus @ 6 mana. I could play Domri, +1, and Gravel-Hide Goblin, or I could Rendhorn with haste, and attack. I chose the latter path, and was too late by one turn. After the match I realized I should've done the former: opponent couldn't kill Domri on the board, or if they could they would not have blockers, and even if they had the pump spells to do so, Domri would've bought me crucial life and I can Rendhorn next turn anyway. Meanwhile if Domri lived, on the next turn I could +1, play a hasty Colossus, and attack. Opponent cannot chump block Colossus, and I would win. Oh well.

Major slops to Gates Ablaze because I never cast it. In fact I never drew it when it mattered; only the one game where I mana screwed when I didn't have the gates necessary to activate it anyway. Scorchmark was also rather mediocre. Everything else worked great, and the deck carried me even though I made plenty of other mistakes in the run.

EDIT: next draft, how would you build this? Do you think Rhythm is worth splashing for? What about Wilderness Reclamation, considering I have a fair amount of instants, adapt, and flash creatures? Do I need more top-end for win conditions, or is this a full-on tempo deck? https://imgur.com/a/gKZSpJC

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:20 am 

Interesting deck for sure, here's my take on it:

1) I wouldn't splash Rhythm. Rhythm is best when played turn 3, a splash doesn't reliably enable you to do so.
If I were to splash a card, it'd be Azorius Skyguard (especially since you have an incentve to run the Azorius Guildgate anyway); not sure if that's worth it.
2) I'm 50/50 on the Reclamation. You definitely do have quite some manasinks; you don't have too much in terms of interaction however.
3) IMO you have a decent amount of late-game wincons; especially with that Simic Ascendancy. Just make sure to have enough creatures on board.

So, how do we build this? I think there's 2 options:

a) Gates route.
Add Azorius Guildgate and the Skyguard, cut the Mountain, one Island and the Rhythm.

Gives you an equivalent of 5 Gates for the Ram and an additional wincon. You still have some ways to generate additional mana, which is nice for your manasinks.

b) Reclamation route.
This involves a slightly bigger change to the deck:
Cut: Rhythm of the Wild, Mountain, Gateway Plaza, Open the Gates, Gatebreaker Ram, Swirling Torrent, Gyre Engineer
Add: Forest, Island, Simic Locket, Wilderness Reclamation, Growth Spiral*2

Growth Spiral gives you something to do with your excess mana at instant speed. Simic Locket over Gyre Engineer may seem weird, but the deck has enough ways to generate mana while being low on ways to generate cards (and without cards to play and stuff to do, Reclamation gets worse).

One more thing to note is that with both a Combine Guildmage and a Simic Ascendancy, it's not completely outrageous to run the Humongulous out of the sideboard. I decided not to include it in either deck, partly because I didn't find an easy cut, but it should be noted as an option at least.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:31 am 

(Pre-post edit: I see Modulo replied while I was typing. I haven't read it all yet, but maybe his post makes a follow up from me unnecessary)

Nice! 7-2 is a fine showing.

Yeah, Inheritance is a good card in limited. Lot of people were sleeping on it when set dropped, till they started loosing to it. Format isn't quite fast enough to make 4 mana do-nothing enchantments unplayable; puts a clock on board stalls and offers a bit of reach. It's a quality win con in more than one type of deck.

I can't make out the card pool on my phone. When I try to zoom, I lose detail. I can try to view it on a desktop to see it better, but not sure when I'll have a chance to. From what I can make out, Lizrog is basically a bad card. Most of the time you'll end up casting it as a 5 mana 3/3 and feel bad. I really wanted it to be good, but it almost never works out that way.

Reclamation is not good in limited. It's possible to build a deck that wants it (or at least won't hate drawing it), and maybe your pool can do that, but those builds are very rare.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:43 pm 

Damn I was going to cut the Rhythm and probably put in Reclamation and then promptly went 0-3 because the draft ended and Wizards just awarded the prizes. Wtf?? I swear in the past not only would the draft would be saved until the next time Ranked Draft rolled around, there would also be some time to let you play out the draft after registration ended. If I'd known I was going to go 0-3 like that I wouldn't have started the draft in the first place. Damn, it's the crappy M19 draft now too. Oh well.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:18 pm 

Banedon wrote:
What ... any source on this?

Ryan Spain
Just check any of his drafts on RNA “Going Optimal” is the name of the channel

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next