It is currently Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:21 am 

Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: uhhhhh
Manabase is solid.

The one true King of NGA Magic Duels on Xbox One.

You want some? Come get some. You don't like me? Bite me.

Day 1,000 of the never-ending Vert monarchy.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=16077

Magic's a simple game, 2 people take turns playing cards and in the end Divinevert wins 2-0...

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:33 pm 

P1P1, Chillbringer or Precognitive Perception?

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:07 pm 

Identity: doesnt really matter
Preferred Pronoun Set: to me
I'd take Precog. You're more likely to get Chillys later at common anyways - but Chilly keeps you more open to having U be a 3rd color splash if the rest of your packs dictate that. Don't think Chilly would be Wrong, but personally I'd take Precog there at P1P1. Darn good card.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:26 am 

Followed your advice and wound up with this pool:

2 x Sky Tether

1 x Concordia Pegasus
1 x Faerie Duelist
1 x Quench
1 x Shimmer of Possibility
1 x Slimebind
1 x Essence Capture

1 x Arrester's Admonition
1 x High Alert
2 x Gateway Sneak
1 x Azorius Locket
1 x Absorb
1 x Orzhov Locket

1 x Spirit of the Spires
1 x Junktroller

1 x Chillbringer
1 x Precognitive Perception
1 x Mesmerizing Benthid
1 x Blade Juggler

1 x Gate Colossus
1 x Consign to the Pit

3 x Plains
9 x Island
1 x Azorius Guildgate
1 x Orzhov Guildate
2 x Rakdos Guildgate
1 x Simic Guildgate

Notable cards in sideboard: Carrion Imp, Dovin's Acuity, Cry of the Carnarium, 2 Thought Collapse. The deck as I built it crashed and burned at 1-3. I lost one game getting burned out by Fireblade Artist, another to mana screw, and the last to Ethereal Absolution. I was holding Absorb in hand, but opponent had a big board, and I decided to play Gate Colossus that turn. When the enchantment hit the battlefield I knew I had no way to kill it and just conceded.

No idea if the build was right. The big creatures seem pretty bad: deathtouchers appear to be quite common.

Next draft, P1P1, Sphinx of New Prahv, Windstorm Drake, Sunder Shaman, or Lawmage's Binding?

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:53 am 

10 creatures feels too low, but you have cheap ways to neutralize threats and Precog to help find Colossus or High Alert when you have butts on board (and HA + Benthid is good stuff). Curious to hear how the games go.

Tricky P1P1 for new draft, but I'd prob take the removal or Shaman. I don't like Drake pick 1 - not as good as the other 5 mana 3/3s unless you have a lot of flyers. It's something I'd rather pick up later in the draft when I know I can get there. Sphinx is fine if you know your Azorius, but I don't see it as a card that points you there P1P1 (3 butt not great). Shaman demands an answer, but carries the same baggage of heavy investment in its guild's colors as the other XXYY creatures - but more worth it than Sphinx imo. Removal is safest pick as it can be splashed in Simic or Orzhov if your packs don't give you good Azorius.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:31 pm 

Like I said, went 1-3. Didn't draw High Alert once, and only cast Benthid once too :( And okay, will take Lawmage's Binding. I haven't played that many RNA drafts, but somehow, most of my decks seem to end up in Esper.

Also wtf happened to the previous draft where I P1P1'ed an Ethereal Absolution? I was expecting to be able to complete the draft when RNA drafts rolled around again, but I don't see it anymore?

EDIT: Going to take this to battle when I finish the draft probably later today :)

2 x Faerie Duelist
1 x Sage Row's Savant
1 x Sentinel's Mark
1 x Summary Judgment
1 x Final Payment

1 x Azorius Locket
1 x Ministrant of Obligation
1 x Arrester's Admonition
1 x Thought Collapse
2 x Lawmage's Binding
1 x Mortify

1 x Senate Griffin
1 x Sphinx of Foresight

2 x Grasping Thrull
1 x Chillbringer
1 x Lumbering Battlement

1 x Archway Angel
1 x Gateway Colossus

3 x Orzhov Guildgate
3 x Azorius Guildgate
1 x Gateway Plaza
3 x Plans
6 x Island
1 x Swamp

With these on-color cards in sideboard: Concordia Pegasus, another Sentinel's Mark, Rally to Battle, Knight of Sorrows, Watchful Giant, another Sage's Row Savant, Slimebind, Humongulus, Swirling Torrent, Scuttlegator.

I wonder if I misevaluated anything. Like, is Swirling Torrent good? It looks quite powerful, but the mana cost is very high.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:59 pm 

Oops - I completely missed the line where you said your results. Derp.

Your 2nd list looks a lot better tho. Swirling Torrent is ok. Not right for every deck, but I think it'd be good in yours. You're trying to win in the air or with Colossus - ST lets you clear flying or >2 power blockers and time walk opponent. I think it'd be a good finisher piece, that can double as an out if opp pacifies your Colossus - or bounce Angel to gain more life (I know you have that with Admonition, but redundancy there isn't bad and primary option to remove 2 blockers and kill opps next draw is good here). I'd prob -1 Thought Collapse, +1 Torrent.

Of other sideboard cards, only Mark and Slime are worth considering. I don't see anything I'd take out for them tho. Ideally would upgrade/replace Savant, but I don't think you want to go lower on creature count (especially when you have 4 total in the 2-3 drop range).

Like this post