It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: UB Scarab Control
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:01 am 

This is the deck I run into most often by far, so it's a little tuned for the mirror but not completely. I also have to be able to deal with aggro everything else so.... it's a work in progress.

Creatures (11)

4x Champion of Wits
2x Ravenous Chupacabra
4x The Scarab God
1x Nezahal, Primal Tide

Sorcery (3)

3x Duress

Instants (19)

3x Unsummon
4x Essence Scatter
4x Cast Down
3x Supreme Will
1x Commit // Memory
4x Vraska's Contempt

Planeswalkers (2)

2x Liliana, Death's Majesty

Lands (25)

7x Island
7x Swamp
4x Drowned Catacomb
4x Fetid Pools
2x Field of Ruins
1x Scavenger Grounds

Explanation for choices in post below.

Like this post

Post subject: Re: UB Scarab Control
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:44 am 

This is the other deck I made (I made two total; 1 for grinding; 1 for fun) after buying some packs.

Creatures:

For creatures, everything but Nezahal is just completely agreed upon core standard for this deck. Nezahal, Primal Tide is just a giant F U in the mirror, which is by far the most common matchup I get (why my RDW does so well). It's probably going to come out though, b/c it's really bad in everything else.

Sorcery:

The triple Duress, which only I seem to be running atm, serves a triple purpose.

1) It's sometimes something to do on turn 1. My turn 1 (unlike almost every mirror match deck) is not just turn 1 land and pass.

2) I get to see their entire hand if it resolves. This is valuable information and makes people freak out. It also is just valuable information to have , even if your opponent only has creatures, and especially on turn 1.

3) It usually lets me get rid of something really annoying for 1 mana. If they counter it they spent more mana than I did to counter a 1 cmc spell. If they don't counter it than either I get to remove their best non-creature non-land card, or I get to find out that it's probably safe to play my The Scarab God. It's just an over-all excellent card in the control mirror because it's guaranteed to get value in anything but a game you've already lost. FOR ONE MANA.

If I wasn't constantly playing control mirrors this card would be a lot less valuable, but since I am it's amazing.

Instants

The only non-standard cards here are Unsummon and Commit // Memory. The first is just a card I feel people are massively under-rating for no good reason. They spend a whole bunch of mana and a turn playing something. You bounce it back to their hand and then they spend an entire second turn playing the same something, effectively making the card "Both players draw a card. Skip your opponent's next turn." in a whole lot of situations. Even when the thing you bounce is cheap you are getting a big mana advantage on your opponent, because again this is freaking 1 mana. I can't believe I'm the only one running this (literally never seen anyone else play Unsummon or Duress in 20 mirror matches; and none of the net-decks run either).

Commit // Memory as a 1-of is surprisingly versatile. This is like Remand had a baby with Time Ebb. But then that baby grew up and had a baby with one of the Power-Nine. I've cast the Memory part of the effect 3 times, and all 3 times were situations in which my opponent had managed to resolve a The Scarab God, had card advantage over me, and had spent all their mana that turn protecting The Scarab God. Two out of the three times this happened I managed to cast Memory into Vraska's Contempt to have a chance to recover from an otherwise game-losing situation (hint: Mirrors can go very long). I won one of those games. The Memory effect is extremely niche, but there is a theoretical use for it, and the Commit effect is very very very very verrrrrryyy good as a one-of. It's probably going to become a two-of as I work on the deck. Did I mention it can bounce planeswalkers?

Everything else I'm running for instants is pretty standard.

Planeswalkers:

Liliana just runs away with the game if you are winning or in a stalemate situation with any non-mirror. Even in the mirror they basically can't let this resolve ever unless they are really winning.

Lands

I'm literally running the cookie cutter netdeck build except one Field of Ruins is a Scavenger Grounds instead to again mess with the mirror if they get a Scarab God to land first.

Cards I'm not running

For general blue and black counter-spells that are really good, the answer is I ran out of room.

I don't think Dusk Legion Zealot provides enough value to be worth it. I would rather just run the card I would draw with it instead of it. The only benefit to it is the 1/1 body which isn't that impressive against... well anything if you don't have a lot of creatures.

Kitesail Freebooter is a card where I'm basically just running Duress instead. The card is permanently gone instead of temporarily, for cheaper too. In the control mirror this thing just dies way too fast, and in any other matchup the body isn't impressive enough to matter. I would rather just have the turn 1 play and permanent discard instead when I can get it.

Tetzimoc, Primal Death - Still experimenting.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:04 pm 

Updated List:

2x Unsummon
2x Duress
4x Essence Scatter
4x Cast Down
4x Champion of Wits
3x Supreme Will
2x Commit // Memory
3x Ravenous Chupacabra
4x Vraska's Contempt
2x Liliana, Death's Majesty
4x The Scarab God
1x Tetzimoc, Primal Death
8x Island
8x Swamp
4x Drowned Catacomb
3x Fetid Pools
2x Scavenger Grounds

This is still a work in progress, but this version has about a 10% higher win-rate over a lot of games than the older one did, so I think it's getting better.

I think Champion of Wits is one of the hardest cards to get good at using properly in a deck like this. Not only are you basically always going to discard things you want, b/c most of the deck is counters or removal, but tapping out to cast it on turn 3 also leaves you open extremely badly.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:13 pm 

Have you considered Cosign//Oblivion instead of Unsummon? Not only is it good on everything, but instead of card disadvantage it can actually net you card advantage late game. I am running Esper control with various wincons including a single Scarab, and originally used this while waiting to get some Commit//Memory's and in many situations it is better then Commit. As a bonus, you sometimes get some mileage out of oblivion when Lil mills it. It will almost always get a Counter spell out of a control deck.

Also, although I would not necessarily recommend it for your deck, I have been running Dire Fleet Poisoner. It is worse vs RDW because of evasion and it is prone to Magma, but it is better vs control as you can slip in EOT, not to mention vs the Green Hexproof I see once in a while. More flexible card imo, but not true removal.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 3:12 pm 

Blink of an eye is by far the best bounce spell since boomerang. If your gonna bounce something, get a card with it if you can afford to.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 4:54 pm 

Haven_pt wrote:
Blink of an eye is by far the best bounce spell since boomerang. If your gonna bounce something, get a card with it if you can afford to.

It is a close second for me, but not as much fun as someone slapping down a Scarab with only 1 other card in hand and returning it EOT and then emptying their hand next turn.

Admittedly, I am running Dreamstealers, so my experience may be a bit skewed.

Like this post