It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7464 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 361, 362, 363, 364, 365, 366, 367 ... 374  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:43 am 

Identity: Human
I think I caught something while in LA, because I've been kind of under the weather ever since we came back and the color of stuff coming out of my upper horn isn't normal. I'll pencil in talking about my trip for when I feel better.

Quoth the Raven, for truth.
Know your roots.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:52 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
I think I caught something while in LA, because I've been kind of under the weather ever since we came back and the color of stuff coming out of my upper horn isn't normal. I'll pencil in talking about my trip for when I feel better.

yeah, LA has a way of doing that to people.

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:20 pm 

Identity: Male
I am in LA. Cruelly forced to do internet ING over my phone like so.e kind of barbarian. The motorcyclists are kind of scary but this Disney thing everybody's talking about might be worth looking into. Awaiting communications
Oh cool my nephew just lost a tooth.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:44 pm 

...And I mean he literally walked in the room, tooth in hand when I wrote that.

Played a few rounds of commander with Tevish Szat. Razor's too lame to live close by so it was 1v1. I have a cold. That is a bad match for being on vacation. Tevish Szat owns a lab coat and also some comic books- Hot Gossip! He won most of our games.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:06 pm 

TPmanW wrote:

Played a few rounds of commander with Tevish Szat. Razor's too lame to live close by so it was 1v1. I have a cold. That is a bad match for being on vacation. Tevish Szat owns a lab coat and also some comic books- Hot Gossip! He won most of our games.

Wait, you too? I thought razor was just being glib, but is LA just full of germs?

Speaking of LA, the best thing I did there was end up in Round 1. It's a bowling alley/arcade that also had a karaoke bar. We ended up there more or less by accident (we wanted a good bowling alley for kids), and we were in the "chinatown" section of the city, so I didn't think much of it. Turns out it's actually a Japanese arcade chain, which completely explains why there was a corner full of Japanese arcade games that I spent most of my time in (and less of my credits).

So, here's how it happened:
We play a... set? of bowling -- my brother and sister-in-law, my two nieces (9 and 7), and me -- and had a good bit of fun. Once we'd finished and the question came up of what to do next, of course my nieces said they wanted to play games, and since I saw things like a Luigi's Mansion machine, I added my own opinion (to quote: "I wasn't about to leave this place without playing some of these games").

So, rather than coins, you get a credit card thing with "credits" loaded on it, and all the machines have a card-reader-adapter-thing where their coin slots would be. We got three cards with 120 credits each, one for me, one for each of my nieces. We kind of split up after that, or rather, I went looking for my own games I wanted to play instead of staying with everyone else. After playing some normal arcade fare like skeeball and Mario Kart, I wandered around to the back corner where there were a whole bunch of very Japanese arcade machines: stuff like Capcom fighting games, Puzzle Bobble, Puzzle Fighter, Taiko Drum Master, a Final Fantasy Theatrythm machine completely in Japanese, and much to my delight once I did a double-take and recognized it, Gunslinger Stratos.

In case you're unaware of Gunslinger Stratos, I'd recommend checking out this video for like two minutes: https://youtu.be/pcgr2ThIWnk?t=3m35s (the video is on Japanese arcades as a whole, but it's the only place I'd heard of it beforehand). Now, Japanese arcade games are actually kind of generous in how much game you get for your (digital) coin. My family found me when I was like 12 out of 15 parts done with the tutorial for Gunslinger Stratos, and come to find out, my nieces had already spent their combined 240 credits AND cashed out their virtual tickets in the gift shop. I still had 75 credits left. Unfortunately, we had to get going, so we had to find some much shadier machines that would use up the credits faster. I went with skeeball, which had the added benefit of gaining tickets at the same time. I got some pocky with my virtual tickets.

The best part? I learned there's a Round 1 here in Dallas, too. Well, in Arlington, which is smack dab in the middle of Dallas and Fort Worth, so, like, 40 miles from where I am. But it exists in my own (metaphorical) backyard! One day I'll go out there and have some fun again.

Still on the tail end of whatever sickness I caught, so I'll talk more about the trip later.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:51 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

TPmanW wrote:
He won most of our games.

this happened when I played games with Tevish as well.

Tevish is good at games.

also sorry about the size of Los Angeles.

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:50 am 

I just taught my boss and another coworker to play magic with budget decks I built for them:
BW zombies vs GW auras

They both had fun and I think I've got them interested enough that they'll keep getting deeper into the game.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:34 am 

Very cool. Glad you have people to play with. Also, slightly jealous. I think I'll have to dig my cards out and teach the wife how to play...

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:21 pm 

TPmanW wrote:

Wait, you too? I thought razor was just being glib, but is LA just full of germs?

Speaking of LA, the best thing I did there was end up in Round 1. It's a bowling alley/arcade that also had a karaoke bar. We ended up there more or less by accident (we wanted a good bowling alley for kids), and we were in the "chinatown" section of the city, so I didn't think much of it. Turns out it's actually a Japanese arcade chain, which completely explains why there was a corner full of Japanese arcade games that I spent most of my time in (and less of my credits).

I was actually just starting to get sick before I left. I have to blame my coworkers. One then another ended up getting sick and I held out until just after I left. Going to have to do some violence on them when I get back.

razorborne wrote:
TPmanW wrote:
He won most of our games.

this happened when I played games with Tevish as well.

Tevish is good at games.

also sorry about the size of Los Angeles.

Apology UNaccepted. You knew I was comming. You could have talked it over with city council.

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:35 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

TPmanW wrote:
Apology UNaccepted. You knew I was comming. You could have talked it over with city council.

you're right, I had like three days notice, that's more than enough time to re-zone the largest city in the country. (the world? I don't feel like looking it up but let's say yes.)

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:06 pm 

razorborne wrote:
TPmanW wrote:

you're right, I had like three days notice, that's more than enough time to re-zone the largest city in the country. (the world? I don't feel like looking it up but let's say yes.)

Sadly, LA's not even close. According to the source I found, it's #71 in the world, and in the US, New York City has it beat by over four million people. LA does significantly better when going by land area, ranking in at #7 in the world, although ironically loses out to five different US cities, again including New York and the Hub of the Universe.

Of course, where I live doesn't make either list, so, you know...

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:11 pm 

razorborne wrote:
TPmanW wrote:

Sadly, LA's not even close. According to the source I found, it's #71 in the world, and in the US, New York City has it beat by over four million people. LA does significantly better when going by land area, ranking in at #7 in the world, although ironically loses out to five different US cities, again including New York and the Hub of the Universe.

Next time I'm going to have to visit... Seattle? Boston? I feel like this is an established joke, but I can't seem to remember. They got a Disney there though, right?

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:39 am 

I was curious, so I had to look it up myself. Turns out, my backyard, Dallas/Fort Worth, is number eight just under LA by land area, despite having less than half the population.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:15 pm 

It used to be that a city in northern Sweden was on the land area top list, despite having less than a hundred thousand inhabitants. Then they decided you could only count the area that was actually populated, instead of counting all the land governed by the city council...

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:40 pm 

Do you think Ravnica takes both titles, population and area, in the Multiverse?

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:15 pm 

We can't make any declarations about the multiverse as a whole, but out of everything we've seen I think it's tops.

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:15 pm 

Ravnica, as a city, certainly does.
Ravnica, as a world, however is staggeringly small and the population, while impressive for a city, reflects that as well.

Brady said that Ravnica's total population only measures in the millions.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:36 pm 

Huh. I did not know that when I wrote "Shambahala" and placed the population of a city-ized near-earthlike world in the Billions (presumably the high billions). So presumably it would have had Ravnica beat on population/area by at least a few orders of magnitude. Of course, something happened to it, but the world Daneera remembers was what it was.

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:18 am 

Huh. I did not know that when I wrote "Shambahala" and placed the population of a city-ized near-earthlike world in the Billions (presumably the high billions). So presumably it would have had Ravnica beat on population/area by at least a few orders of magnitude. Of course, something happened to it, but the world Daneera remembers was what it was.

Ahh, yes. I had forgotten that bleak, dead-air cityscape was that large. No wonder Daneera hates big cities.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:24 am 

Guess who's back, back, back, back again gain gain. TP's back PM a friend. I guess I was was still sporadically posting around here, so I perhaps wasn't gone from your perspective. But I wasn't here (NGA) too often and I've just got home (western Canada) now.
For the uniformed, was off doing the Disney. (That's Land, not world (or like EuroDisney or Tokyo or whatever), so THE Disney)
It was pretty cool.

The best part of the whole trip had to be one magical moment on the Matterhorn Bobsleds. Emerging out of the mountain's lightless interior into the sparsely-lit 10 o'clock sky my visual perception momentarily inverted. My pre-concious registration of the landscape placed the pockets of lamp light far off, and the vast dimness seemed to be an enormous chasm within the Matterhorn. A new world, opened up to me, underground, and a mile across; totally imaginary. My mind caught up, my eyes adjusted and the illusion shattered.
It was like the necker cube illusion, or more accurately a rhomboid tiling. But for, it seemed to be 2 seconds, I experienced the impossible.

The next best moment was on the Indiana Jones ride. 20 minutes before the park closes and the single rider line is me and the folks directly in front walking an empty hallway, an announcement is made that the ride has stopped and no one can get in line. Arriving at the waiting room, watching the safety video sans volume I strike up conversations with the other riders-hopefully-to-be. We ask why the ride couldn't have waited another 15 minutes to break down. There is laughing and the populace of my immediate vicinity is 50% pretty girls.
Everything works out, we're on the ride, and then it comes to a halt. Our jeep is 3ft off from being directly under a suspended Indiana Jones. We're all cracking jokes, encouraging a Harrison Ford mannequin to climb down the rope; it only looks like a long drop because you haven't slid down to the end of the rope Indy! I urge the guy in the driver's seat to edge the jeep forward so Indy can climb onto it. Everybody's laughing with each other. The mood persists from pre-boarding all the way through the walk to the exit. Disney magic.

I briefly rode the Matterhorn cross-legged. You have to be in the front of the bobsled to pull it off. I tried to get photographic proof, but it was pitch black, and the geniuses who program cell phone cameras didn't seem to think the situation warranted the flash function. I've had regular cameras that could figure that out. (And no, I never selected a manual camera option- my camera always does its own thing). I wasn't mad enough to do it except at the ride's very safest part, so my chance at posterity was squandered.

The real life meet up with Tevish Szat was pretty cool. I wish I thought to plan further ahead and we could have checked out a cool game store or something, but alas, such is the limit of my time management.

The worst part was having a cold. It went into remission pretty fast, and I was never out of commission, but it really sapped my energy to do things. If you plan on travelling, I advise you not to get sick.

I'm working from pretty small sample size, so I want to run my impressions past folks who would know: LA motorcyclists seem to have collectively formed a murder/suicide pact with the world at large. Am I off the mark?

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7464 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 361, 362, 363, 364, 365, 366, 367 ... 374  Next