It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5680 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 280, 281, 282, 283, 284
 Post subject: Re: Uncharted Realms
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:29 pm 

Jivanmukta wrote:
Barinellos wrote:
Regardless of the dialogue or characterization, I'm actually quite a fan of the prose.

**** how?

It has a lot of character unto itself.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:31 pm 

That much I can grant, even if it gets awkward at times.

My Patreon:
https://www.patreon.com/Carliro

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:59 pm 

I think the biggest issue wasn't so much the prose itself, so much as how long it took to get from point A to point B. The story spent so much time dwelling on how decadent the vampires were that it started getting a bit repetitive, without actually repeating itself.

That said, am I the only one who see Reid less as a hippy and more as a semi-violent Steve Irwin?

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:11 pm 

Foe10x10 wrote:
I think the biggest issue wasn't so much the prose itself, so much as how long it took to get from point A to point B. The story spent so much time dwelling on how decadent the vampires were that it started getting a bit repetitive, without actually repeating itself.

That said, am I the only one who see Reid less as a hippy and more as a semi-violent Steve Irwin?

If Steve Irwin starred in Death Wish.
Still, I wasn't anticipating the general disgruntledness of her character and how often that note got played.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:47 pm 

Barinellos wrote:
Foe10x10 wrote:

Still, I wasn't anticipating the general disgruntledness of her character and how often that note got played.

I think part of the problem is the setting of the story in question. The vampires on Ixalan sound like they'd test the patience of just about anyone just by existing.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:12 pm 

Foe10x10 wrote:
Barinellos wrote:
Foe10x10 wrote:

I think part of the problem is the setting of the story in question. The vampires on Ixalan sound like they'd test the patience of just about anyone just by existing.

I dunno, they came across about what I'd expect of the period they were based on.
...But I was sure as hell surprised by the overall French tone of the piece considering they were meant to be fill in for the conquistadors.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:55 pm 

Barinellos wrote:

I dunno, they came across about what I'd expect of the period they were based on.
...But I was sure as hell surprised by the overall French tone of the piece considering they were meant to be fill in for the conquistadors.[/quote]

Being period appropriate and being highly aggravating to deal with are not mutually exclusive. Especially not considering the time period in question, when royalty and nobility had a fairly high handed view of themselves in comparison to anyone else. As for the French influence, from what I can tell the Church the vampires exist in/for basically never lost. No Reformation, no various religious wars, just a single unified continent under their Queen or fairly close to it. So there are likely still equivalents of the Royal College or Versailles Gardens, possibly a few different languages, all just kneeling to the same throne/pulpit. The military minded become the conquistadors and venture off to Orazca, while the more dandified spend their days at court and the entertainments.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:03 am 

Identity: Goblin Piker
I liked the overt use of thesaurus to give the vampires a veneer of elegance, which slowly dwindled throughout Part 1. Vivien seems like a potential green antagonist, but her introduction at M19 and the unnecessary Bolas blurb in her past makes it feel a bit forced that she will show up on Ravnica, despite 98% of the plane being her antithesis.

Yall should also keep in mind on Ixalan, the Vampires were consolidating their power for centuries before they began to move towards Ixalan. The wars they fought for the large part are long past, even their messianic character was a myth that even those who encountered her weren't entirely convinced of.

Also Part 2 came out today and there is a pretty big revelation about the Vampires early on, that is kind of brushed over and seems really, REALLY awkward for multiple reasons.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:22 am 

Today's UR (Magic Story): Unbowed, Part 2

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:04 pm 

I like that Vivien is actually cunning enough to make the vampire crowd turn against Mr. complete monster, which makes her slightly less annoying.

Luneau vampires have nuns with sewn mouths. They really are that one-dimensionally evil and make Saint Elenda all the more jarring.

My Patreon:

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:17 pm 

Bonus UR (Magic Story): Unbowed, Part 3

Quote:
The third part of Vivien Reid’s story is here! Finally, the vampires of Luneau learn why you shouldn’t cross Vivien Reid. Note that we’ll be taking a story break until October 10!

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:05 pm 

Well, that was fast.

My Patreon:

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:02 pm 

The only thing that really kinda bugs me here is that she's off to splash red at the end of it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:18 pm 

This story to its credit makes Vivien more interesting. We get a description of her powerset and how she feels the multiverse very well, and I like how scientific that is in spite of her being a nature mage. She's also the most motivated character I've ever seen.

Still, a little too late to save the whole trilogy, and the vampires are treated unsympathetically even as their homes are turned to dust by rampaging animals.

My Patreon:

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:00 pm 

This story to its credit makes Vivien more interesting. We get a description of her powerset and how she feels the multiverse very well, and I like how scientific that is in spite of her being a nature mage. She's also the most motivated character I've ever seen.

Still, a little too late to save the whole trilogy, and the vampires are treated unsympathetically even as their homes are turned to dust by rampaging animals.

And that we explicitly have it all significantly kicked off by the graphic decapitation of a child.
Which is largely just a tasteless move (not that it actually bothers me)

heh... does remind me how psychotic some bleeding hearts got over blessed spirits

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:53 pm 

Barinellos wrote:
The only thing that really kinda bugs me here is that she's off to splash red at the end of it.

I'm not so sure she's splashing red. I think the Arkbow's effect is more like a token generator. Rough stats for it would probably read something like, "Legendary Equipment. When equipped creature kills another creature in combat, exile that creature.

2GG: Create a token that's a copy of a creature exiled by Arkbow's ability. That creature gains haste. Exile it at the beginning of the next end step."

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:03 am 

Foe10x10 wrote:
Barinellos wrote:

I'm not so sure she's splashing red. I think the Arkbow's effect is more like a token generator. Rough stats for it would probably read something like, "Legendary Equipment. When equipped creature kills another creature in combat, exile that creature.

2GG: Create a token that's a copy of a creature exiled by Arkbow's ability. That creature gains haste. Exile it at the beginning of the next end step."

Part of the problem already exists that there aren't enough green spirits (that make sense) to fill up a Vivien themed deck to start with and now she's adding red creatures to the bow. (which would explain why the Monstrosaur was acting differently than most of her apparitions)

It's cheesing me off because I like some degree of accuracy in the decks I build, so HOW the hell am I supposed to reconcile that?!

If it were something akin to a mimic vat crossed with soul separator, that'd be one thing. But cards like vivien's jaguar and skalla wolf exist to throw a wrench into that.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:17 pm 

The creatures are just summons like how Elspeth has summoned soldiers or whatever. She just uses the Arkbow as a focus. Just get the creatures she summons and put them in your deck. Whenever you cast one, shoot them out of a disc launcher or something.

I dislike how one-dimensional the vampires have always been, but BOY OH BOY am I ready for Ixalan 2: Elenda's Reckoning

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:03 pm 

Jman22 wrote:
Ixalan 2: Elenda's Reckoning

"Ixalan 2: Elenda gets assassinated in the prologue and we are rooting for the Sun empire to eliminate all vampires, extinguish their faith, and conquer the world" seems more likely to me.

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:07 am 

Jman22 wrote:
Ixalan 2: Elenda's Reckoning

"Ixalan 2: Elenda gets assassinated in the prologue and we are rooting for the Sun empire to eliminate all vampires, extinguish their faith, and conquer the world" seems more likely to me.

I swear to god... LET ME HAVE THIS ONE GLIMMER OF HOPE

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5680 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 280, 281, 282, 283, 284