It is currently Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59  Next
 Post subject: Re: Off Topic Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:28 pm 

DJ0045 wrote:
mjack33 wrote:
If Ancestral Recall exiled 15 cards face down from the top of your deck as an additional cost; would it still be broken?

Probably.

The 15 cards face down would only really be a problem if you were playing a deck that typically 'draws' more than half of its cards in a single game. The issue with Ancestral recall was 1) instant speed, and 2) the 3 for 1 for 1 mana. None of that changes with the extra 'downside.'

Further evidence: Recall is restricted in Legacy, e.g.: they consider the original card to be so dangerous/powerful that even two copies of the card would be too many. Since this downside would still generally allow you to play more than 1 copy (I'd argue for up to 3, possibly 4), it isn't enough of a downside outside of corner cases, for example, your opponent is playing mill.

Say you drew all 3, but couldn't play the 3rd copy for whatever reason. You still netted a 5 for 2 and 2 mana, which is extremely powerful at instant speed.

Recall is a ridiculous card.

Suggested alternative nerf: If you already played 'Fixed Recall' at least once this game, you lose the game at the end of the turn.

But then I'd make it red. (Also, my made up mtg text sucks, but I hope you get the drift).

I’m glad you took my side of the debate.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:47 pm 

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:19 pm 

Identity: ItsreallyDJ0045
Preferred Pronoun Set: I'm male, lol!
mjack33 wrote:
DJ0045 wrote:
mjack33 wrote:
If Ancestral Recall exiled 15 cards face down from the top of your deck as an additional cost; would it still be broken?

Probably.

The 15 cards face down would only really be a problem if you were playing a deck that typically 'draws' more than half of its cards in a single game. The issue with Ancestral recall was 1) instant speed, and 2) the 3 for 1 for 1 mana. None of that changes with the extra 'downside.'

Further evidence: Recall is restricted in Legacy, e.g.: they consider the original card to be so dangerous/powerful that even two copies of the card would be too many. Since this downside would still generally allow you to play more than 1 copy (I'd argue for up to 3, possibly 4), it isn't enough of a downside outside of corner cases, for example, your opponent is playing mill.

Say you drew all 3, but couldn't play the 3rd copy for whatever reason. You still netted a 5 for 2 and 2 mana, which is extremely powerful at instant speed.

Recall is a ridiculous card.

Suggested alternative nerf: If you already played 'Fixed Recall' at least once this game, you lose the game at the end of the turn.

But then I'd make it red. (Also, my made up mtg text sucks, but I hope you get the drift).

I’m glad you took my side of the debate.

What was the other side's reasoning? Did it boil down to they don't understand how blind draws work (in terms of probability), or did they really have a solid thought process?

edit: if it was the former, ask them if their odds of winning increase/decrease/stay the same if a dealer burns 1 vs. 15 cards before the River in TX Hold'em.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:23 pm 

So what's happening IN Virginia?

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:37 pm 

The equal
Rights amendment?

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:39 pm 

The equal
Rights amendment?

Probably not... I'm guessing the impending gun rights protest on Monday. Martial Law, etc...

Although, passing the Equal Rights amendment is also BIG news for the state and the U.S., lol.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:59 pm 

DJ0045 wrote:
The equal
Rights amendment?

Probably not... I'm guessing the impending gun rights protest on Monday. Martial Law, etc...

Although, passing the Equal Rights amendment is also BIG news for the state and the U.S., lol.

Yeah I just read something on Twitter about the martial law wich sounds kinda huge to me.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:03 pm 

DJ0045 wrote:
The equal
Rights amendment?

Yeah I just read something on Twitter about the martial law wich sounds kinda huge to me.

Cucho, I forget, are you in the U.S.? If not you're probably not having your Facebook blown up by people taking sides. I am though. Some folks are pretty much calling for armed resistance to the Democratically elected Democrats who currently run the state. Supposedly, they are planning to pass some new gun restrictions and all hell is breaking out (or about to). Furthermore, supposedly there have been statewide petitions to remove them from power, and those petitions are being ignored. People are calling it tyranny, etc...

Whole bunch of Imbeciles.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:28 pm 

The duly elected VA governor wants to pass universal background checks and a red flag law. There was also talk of maybe banning assault weapons; but that was less popular and less likely to pass. 17 states including some VA neighbors already have red flag laws; which basically just say a judge can temporarily take your guns away if they think you are going to go shoot people illegally.

The response to this has been militias threatening everything that people shouldn’t even be considering. It is way out of line.

The response to that was to ban the angry people threatening murder and civil war from bringing weapons including guns to their organized protest outside a govt building. You know, bc they threatened to maybe shoot people.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:36 pm 

US never ceases to amaze me.
That sounds soo bad.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:58 pm 

Im trying to watch Roma but I keep falling asleep. I think I’ll play my phone game and then watch something else

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:27 pm 

We had news last night and today that the president’s henchmen may have been plotting the assassination of a US ambassador; and it looks like the United States Senate wants absolutely nothing to do with holding anyone accountable. Meanwhile the rest of the country is so desensitized to this level of insane **** that we seem to be more interested in discussing how CNN treated Bernie Samders last night.

Why does a bunch of gun nuts in VA still amaze you?

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:31 pm 

mjack33 wrote:
We had news last night and today that the president’s henchmen may have been plotting the assassination of a US ambassador; and it looks like the United States Senate wants absolutely nothing to do with holding anyone accountable. Meanwhile the rest of the country is so desensitized to this level of insane **** that we seem to be more interested in discussing how CNN treated Bernie Samders last night.

Why does a bunch of gun nuts in VA still amaze you?

Do you have a source for that? A quick google search turned up nothing.

EDIT: nvm, I see what you're talking about. It seems a bit of a stretch, but maybe not.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:56 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set: Mr.
DJ0045 wrote:
DJ0045 wrote:

Cucho, I forget, are you in the U.S.? If not you're probably not having your Facebook blown up by people taking sides. I am though. Some folks are pretty much calling for armed resistance to the Democratically elected Democrats who currently run the state. Supposedly, they are planning to pass some new gun restrictions and all hell is breaking out (or about to). Furthermore, supposedly there have been statewide petitions to remove them from power, and those petitions are being ignored. People are calling it tyranny, etc...

Whole bunch of Imbeciles.

I guess he missed the question. Cucho is in Chile where they've been having their own "fun with government time".

Undercity Coliseum Tournament, NGA KOTH and even some entertaining dailys up now and streaming (sometimes)!!!! Make sure you subscribe.
https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster
My band Shakey Deal YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBpPU1fbAjSPTfu3g0vubLw
Shakey Deal Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ShakeyDeal.Neil.Young.tribute/

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:05 am 

Well DJ, Ukraine just formally opened an investigation into the events in question, so we may see.

———————-

Cleaning up Skellige has to be the single worst part of the Witcher 3. All the water question marks and mountains make it hell.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:43 am 

mjack33 wrote:
Cleaning up Skellige has to be the single worst part of the Witcher 3. All the water question marks and mountains make it hell.

I'll never understand the hype for that game.

Yes, graphics, yes story - but if I want that, I can read a book or watch a show/movie. When I play a game I want gameplay and in that regard this is sooooo shallow. Like Diablo/Path of Exile with a level cap of 1 - and only one class.

Still debating for myself whether I try it again in the far future expecting nothing of it but story. I got into WoW with a similar mindset on my second try many years ago after abandoning the idea of playing PvP and embracing it's PvE content.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:47 am 

story is only important for books. I've come to realize that with great movies, you never remember the story but rather you remember moments (Scorsese said that too). Like last night I watched ROMA and there were two moments that'll stick with me. Two of my favourite movies were Gravity and Mad Max Fury Road which didn't really have stories.

so yeah, story is overrated.

Books need story
video game needs gameplay, and moments
movies and tv shows just need moments really

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:00 am 

story is only important for books. (...)
movies and tv shows just need moments really

I don't agree with that, but I do see the trend going in that direction sadly. Pretty American attitude if you ask me :D

Sol77_bla wrote:
Yes, graphics, yes story - but if I want that, I can read a book or watch a show/movie. When I play a game I want gameplay and in that regard this is sooooo shallow. Like Diablo/Path of Exile with a level cap of 1 - and only one class.

Sorry for quoting myself, would've edited this addition if it weren't for Barney's reply in the meantime.

I just came up with a comparison in Magic terms for those not familiar with those other games.

So what if the Witcher 3 were a Magic format?

Diablo 3 in it's prime (~around season 4) was like a good Standard format with multiple strong yet very different decks and a lot of other, slightly weaker options
Path of Exile is like Modern - so many options and every patch shakes up the meta

The Witcher 3 would be a format with 2 cards: Mountain and Shock.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:33 am 

Lol... I’m with you on the Witcher. I tried playing it and thought it was really boring. I don’t think it’s overhyped though, just 100% not my kind of game.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:48 am 

I heard it’s the best DLC at least

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59  Next