It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: M:EM High School
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:16 pm 

Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:46 am 

Oh, dear...
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:05 pm 

Brentain wrote:
Oh, dear...

Yeah...

Thanks for reading, though!

Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:43 pm 

Identity: Human
Spoiler

:eek::rofl:
That was hilarious and you are awful. Honestly, I keep forgetting how you're not averse to foul language.

Spoiler

:blush:
I've been pronouncing it wrong this whole time?!?

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:53 pm 

Ghoul in the School

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:12 am 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
About Bloodied Beryl: nice! Wonder if there will be a following piece.

Ghoul in the School: it took me more than it should to get the fleet of references... Loved Raleris polite reminders that he was in fact standing right there and the very in-character fight-or-flight reaction from Donagut.

Quote:
“Didn’t you two used to have a detective agency?” Larasa asked, pointing to Denner and Donagut.

“I think so,” Donagut said, “when we were, like, what, eight?”

That's so frickin' cute!

Thank you for sharing!

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:01 pm 

Spoiler

:eek::rofl:
That was hilarious and you are awful. Honestly, I keep forgetting how you're not averse to foul language.

:D

Yeah, definitely not averse to foul language, when appropriate. Just ask ****in' Orida! ;)

Spoiler

:blush:
I've been pronouncing it wrong this whole time?!?

Don't think of it as wrong, think of it as la erreur.

:)

Thanks! I, too, hope there will be a follow-up story. I look forward to seeing who writes it! :D

Ghoul in the School: it took me more than it should to get the fleet of references... Loved Raleris polite reminders that he was in fact standing right there and the very in-character fight-or-flight reaction from Donagut.

Thanks for reading! That Raleris bit just cracked me up too much not to use it once I thought of it. Actually, I guess that's true of the entire premise, to be honest.

Quote:
“Didn’t you two used to have a detective agency?” Larasa asked, pointing to Denner and Donagut.

“I think so,” Donagut said, “when we were, like, what, eight?”

That's so frickin' cute!

Thank you for sharing!

The Spin-off series, A Pup Named Donagut, seems inevitable.

Thanks, Huey!

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:35 pm 

The Spin-off series, A Pup Named Donagut, seems inevitable.

Thanks, Huey!

I now demand a character who is a scarlet merman to act as Donagut's foil.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:07 am 

Morgan stuck out his chest and, with an air of certainty, declared, "Then clearly, the ghost of Yawgmoth is, without a doubt, Scarlet Merman!"

"Hey, I didn't do anything!" Scar said. "And who is Merman?"

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:15 pm 

Thanks! I, too, hope there will be a follow-up story. I look forward to seeing who writes it! :D

I am sorely tempted... I am even having a case of The Ideas...

Left untreated, that can result in a story...

Anyway, Raven, I love both of these latest shorts! Aloise and Beryl are terminally cute, as ever, and I love the idea of Daneera forestalling what I can only assume would have been a Carrie-esque Homecoming disaster, and enlisting them in a complicated revenge plot instead. :)

And I'm not proud of how long it took me to catch the references to a certain well-known gaggle in "Ghoul in the School," but, once I did (even I will eventually catch on to these things...), I was grinning with anticipating for each classic beat. The running gags with Raleris and Renn had me in stitches, too. :D

Thanks so much for sharing!

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:58 pm 

I am sorely tempted... I am even having a case of The Ideas...

Left untreated, that can result in a story...

Then keep that man away from the treatment center!

Anyway, Raven, I love both of these latest shorts! Aloise and Beryl are terminally cute, as ever, and I love the idea of Daneera forestalling what I can only assume would have been a Carrie-esque Homecoming disaster, and enlisting them in a complicated revenge plot instead. :)

The idea came about when it occurred to me that Aurélie would have a problem with any Homecoming "Queen." This realization, of course, led me (because I'm a supervillain at heart, as we've seen) to think about how that could be exploited by some of our class bullies. To me, the cutest thing in this story is the way Aloise stomps her foot in frustration when Beryl says she must have been joking about Beryl being Homecoming queen.

And yeah, I hope the Homecoming decorations are not overly flammable if the Dual-Walkers set their sights on Beryl for the dance. :shudder:

And I'm not proud of how long it took me to catch the references to a certain well-known gaggle in "Ghoul in the School," but, once I did (even I will eventually catch on to these things...), I was grinning with anticipating for each classic beat.

This is possibly the silliest thing I've ever written for the M:EM (although "Mel Odrum's Attic" and Magic: The Musical are up there.) I'm a big fan of the original Scooby Doo, Where Are You! (though the English instructor in my always balks a bit that it has an exclamation point rather than a question mark) and once I realized that we had a high school setting AND a talking dog, I knew I had to do an homage.

One thing that always struck me with the original show was that in most episodes, they only meet one or two people at the beginning to introduce them to the mystery of the week. I don't remember if there was ever actually only one, but I've just always been amused when they're surprised that its one of the few people they met, so that's what I wanted to play up.

I'm not sure why, but I started not taking it very seriously almost immediately when I had Lumina (playing Velma here, though she was hard to cast. Denner, too, but I'll get back to that in a minute) say "Gee," and then for whatever reason, my narrative voice decided to get snarky. I also skipped all of the middle part of the "episode" because I didn't want to run the joke into the ground, and because frankly I thought the recap was hilarious.

As I alluded to, casting these characters was not as easy as I thought it was going to be. Donagut was a no-brainer, of course, and the primary reason for the story in the first place. Morgan and Larasa are not perfect fits here, but I've been wanting to include them in the M:EM High School for a while, and I've always thought something was going on between Freddy and Daphne. I needed someone studious for Velma, so I went with Lumina.

Denner's not a perfect fit for Shaggy, either, which he himself lampshades in the story by questioning it when Larasa says he and Donagut are always hungry. But I wanted a character who might be cowardly in the right situation (and Antine fit even less) and beyond that, it gave me the opportunity to introduce their childhood detective agency (which, Orcish, was a hat tip to you from a story you once told us!). But the whole thing was a lot of fun.

Oh, and the title was an homage as well, as a number of the episodes of the show had rhyming titles.

The running gags with Raleris and Renn had me in stitches, too. :D

Both of these were entirely organic. I don't know exactly why the gang was completely ignoring The Shifter-disguised-as-Raleris here, but I could just visualize the scene so clearly. The Renn-ing gag (to coin a phrase) was just an observation that in the world of Magic, ghosts aren't really all that strange (or kooky, I guess!)

Thanks so much for sharing!

And thank you for reading!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:27 am 

I'm a big fan of the original Scooby Doo, Where Are You! (though the English instructor in my always balks a bit that it has an exclamation point rather than a question mark)

Wouldn't that be an ideal place for an interrobang?

Anyway, I totally agree with OL, both stories were very well crafted, each in its own genre.

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:31 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
I'm a big fan of the original Scooby Doo, Where Are You! (though the English instructor in my always balks a bit that it has an exclamation point rather than a question mark)

"Scooby Doo, where are you ?!...;"

-fixed it for ya

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:47 pm 

Then keep that man away from the treatment center!

I'VE GOT A FEVER! AND THE ONLY PRESCRIPTION IS MORE STORY!

S.F.J., Part 1

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:13 pm 

@S.F.J.: Very nice. I have to admit that I never thought I'd see Aloise say “I mean, maybe not genocide?” but it makes sense in context. :D

I, of course, love the continuing theme that Beryl is incredibly shy, and Tryst's very high school-appropriate one-track mind. I was particularly pleased at the observation that so many of our students brandish knifes when they really probably shouldn't, and the perpetual disregard for school property.

Aloise as the chair reminded me fondly of this. And of course Beryl's continuing theme of being, how to put this, an overly thorough baker makes a welcome return here.

I wonder how big the S.F.J. is going to get? I bet Sharaka would be very interested, and so might Antine, but he might just be terrified of what might happen to him...

Thanks for posting, Orcish!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:23 am 

I bet Sharaka would be very interested

SFJ after credits 1

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:16 pm 

@SFJ after credits 1: Very interesting. If I'm reading that right, then :shudder:.

Thanks for posting, Huey!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:34 pm 

To me, the cutest thing in this story is the way Aloise stomps her foot in frustration when Beryl says she must have been joking about Beryl being Homecoming queen.

I love this part, too! Aloise is totes adorbs, as the kids say, and I will never, ever get tired of her. I also love the allusion to Beryl's robe from "A Name in a Book"/"The Fire."

(Brief aside -- I have always meant to do some follow-up about Aloise and Lys mending what's left of the robe as best they can, and Aloise giving it back to Beryl.)

And yeah, I hope the Homecoming decorations are not overly flammable if the Dual-Walkers set their sights on Beryl for the dance.

Somehow I keep picturing the fireworks explosion scene from The Naked Gun -- "nothing to see here, folks!" :)

Once I realized that we had a high school setting AND a talking dog, I knew I had to do an homage.

*nods solemnly*

A mystery-solving talking dog, no less!

One thing that always struck me with the original show was that in most episodes, they only meet one or two people at the beginning to introduce them to the mystery of the week. I don't remember if there was ever actually only one, but I've just always been amused when they're surprised that its one of the few people they met, so that's what I wanted to play up.

Hah, yes, the suspect list is usually quite thin. Especially if anyone is introduced with a proper name -- usually an ominous sign that we'll be hearing this name again, later, as a mask is being pulled off. :)

As I alluded to, casting these characters was not as easy as I thought it was going to be. Donagut was a no-brainer, of course, and the primary reason for the story in the first place. Morgan and Larasa are not perfect fits here, but I've been wanting to include them in the M:EM High School for a while, and I've always thought something was going on between Freddy and Daphne. I needed someone studious for Velma, so I went with Lumina.

Denner's not a perfect fit for Shaggy, either, which he himself lampshades in the story by questioning it when Larasa says he and Donagut are always hungry.

I really like the casting. And Lumina actually feels really inspired to me. She was super easy for me to picture in my mind, playing that part, for whatever reason.

But I wanted a character who might be cowardly in the right situation (and Antine fit even less) and beyond that, it gave me the opportunity to introduce their childhood detective agency (which, Orcish, was a hat tip to you from a story you once told us!).

It turns out there is really just not enough crime in your average empty garage to support a small detective agency, even if your fees are eminently reasonable!

@S.F.J.: Very nice. I have to admit that I never thought I'd see Aloise say “I mean, maybe not genocide?” but it makes sense in context.

That is maybe my favorite Aloise line in the piece. I can hear her so clearly in my head, on the one hand trying to be very respectful of Daneera's worldview, while, on the other hand, trying to maybe walk things back just a step or two...

I, of course, love the continuing theme that Beryl is incredibly shy, and Tryst's very high school-appropriate one-track mind.

Shy Beryl is incredibly fun to write -- especially when Aloise is charmingly oblivious to it. And I feel like I owe an apology to Tryst for pushing her to almost middle school levels of immaturity. :)

I was particularly pleased at the observation that so many of our students brandish knifes when they really probably shouldn't, and the perpetual disregard for school property.

I can't explain why I'm stuck on this particular joke, but it has become something of a running gag for M:EM-High-School-version Aloise for me. Like when Jackie pulls out a switchblade to cut the sleeves off Aloise's jean jacket, and Aloise's immediate reaction is just to observe that you are totally not allowed to have a switchblade in school. :)

Aloise as the chair reminded me fondly of this.

I FORGOT ALL ABOUT THAT! Thanks for digging it up! Seeing that again made me smile!

And of course Beryl's continuing theme of being, how to put this, an overly thorough baker makes a welcome return here.

I know it's avowedly non-canon, but Aloise's Birthday is still one of my favorite stories I've ever done around here. :D

I wonder how big the S.F.J. is going to get? I bet Sharaka would be very interested, and so might Antine, but he might just be terrified of what might happen to him...

I belatedly had an idea that, when we're going around the room, and everyone is explaining why they want revenge on Syl, Antine would turn out to be there, and Aloise would ask him what Syl had done to him, and Antine would just get really confused, and say, "I thought this was wood shop?" (Cue more snickers from Tryst: "Heh, wood.") And when Aloise says, "no, this isn't wood shop, this is the band room," Antine would just shake his head, and say "this sort of thing is always happening to me..." If I'd given myself more time to do revisions, I would have probably worked that in.

Well, it can always happen during the next club meeting!

I bet Sharaka would be very interested

SFJ after credits 1

:takei:

Eep!

(Thanks for sharing, Huey! :D )

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:43 am 

As you may have surmised, I liked SFJ a lot and I look forward to future chapters, regardless of Sharaka's inclusion in it. I felt I had limited brain energy, so I thought creativity was a better use of it rather than just commenting, something I'm trying to work on in general. Then I left for 3 nights in France to visit extended family so here I am.

@SFJ after credits 1: Very interesting. If I'm reading that right, then :shudder:.

Eep!

Thank you for reading!

I thought about what happens (and is implied) in that story more than one might suppose. I looked for a good reason Sharaka couldn't attend the meeting and the Rulus using Dantalion to spy on the group wouldn't be too OOC, I think, and puts Dantalion in a parasitic position even in the villainous dynamics.

About the self-igniting: we see a more extreme version of it in ADAF's ending and in Healing Path Sharaka manages to make Elphimas' surroundings uncomfortably hot while completely incapacitated from the neck down, so it's not outside Sharaka's powers nor style. Sharaka sounds like the kind of fighter that adopts ridiculously dangerous or costly plans to win in a heartbeat (rather than fight-or-flight response, Sharaka has a freedom-or-death reflex) and the image of Kala going "I know I said fever could speed up your recovery, but..." was too ridiculous to pass up. I don't remember how Dantalion's powers work, exactly, but this is an AU so I had some freedom in tweaking them; supposing Dantalion is actually within his host's body, Sharaka had a chance to force him to leave her body:
Dantalion: "Fight as much as you want, lizard! The only way to harm me is to harm yourself!"
Sharaka, already warming up: "That's all?"
Dantalion: "...What do you mean, 'that's all'?"

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:30 pm 

Spoiler

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next