It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 9:46 pm 

I didn't expect to write quite this much with this one (about 3200 words) but I'm pretty happy with the way this turned out. I hope everyone enjoys!

To Prove Them Wrong

Okay, okay, okay ... *deep breaths* ... so ... *more deep breaths* ... I LOVE VHARA AND TIKORI AND THE SUPER STEALING CLUBHOUSE!

:)

Seriously. I mean, I'm sure the clubhouse has a real name, but, for now, in my head, it's just the Super Stealing Clubhouse. :D

Anyway, I love the banter between these two, and the mental image I have of Tikori and her scarf trick is just fabulous. Somehow, too, the whole premise reminds me a bit of Dark City -- the walled-in town that no one can actually remember leaving, covered with posters of far-away places that no one can actually remember having been to. I love the combination of the characters and the setting. Thanks so much for sharing, Raven! It's wonderfully done!

Brentain wrote:
I, in contrast, am not known for anything long.

Spoiler

Hey, short is good! And I think your dialog is great, Brentain!

Anyway, I'm very intrigued to how this will continue to develop! And I love the little throwaway line about someone throwing-up after using the spell. That's exactly the sort of thing which I have to think would come up way more often with all this magic-majiggery than stories and whatnot would lead you to believe. I can barely ride in an elevator without feeling a little squiffy -- I have to imagine that, for mages who are constantly phasing themselves in an out of reality, there might be the occasional mess.

Still, I'm sure you get used to it. :)

Thanks again for sharing, Brentain! I'm continuing to love it!

I don't know why - some sixth sense, I suppose - but I don't imagine things will go well for our friendly neighborhood crook. Tale remains to be told, of course...

I have no idea what you're talking about! I mean, I'm sure this is some completely-different, totally-unrelated card sharp!

:D

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 10:52 pm 

Okay, okay, okay ... *deep breaths* ... so ... *more deep breaths* ... I LOVE VHARA AND TIKORI AND THE SUPER STEALING CLUBHOUSE!

Seriously. I mean, I'm sure the clubhouse has a real name, but, for now, in my head, it's just the Super Stealing Clubhouse. :D

I'm glad you enjoyed it! I don't have a name for the club or the clubhouse, so the Super Stealing Clubhouse is good enough for me! I thought of them as more or less an adventuring club that is (in an adolescent way) "kind of" devoted to taking down the establishment. Of course, as we see from the apathy of the other members, most probably don't take it quite as seriously as Vhara does. The whole thing was a lot of fun to write.

Anyway, I love the banter between these two, and the mental image I have of Tikori and her scarf trick is just fabulous.

If you're picturing a Jackie Chan fight scene where he has to keep some poor sap safe while still fighting the bad guys, but instead of Jackie Chan, it's basically the woman depicted on the art of Fortune Thief, you're doing it right.

Somehow, too, the whole premise reminds me a bit of Dark City -- the walled-in town that no one can actually remember leaving, covered with posters of far-away places that no one can actually remember having been to. I love the combination of the characters and the setting. Thanks so much for sharing, Raven! It's wonderfully done!

I've never seen Dark City, but that description sounds apt. Anyway, I was really happy with how it all worked out. Some weeks are easier than others to get all four cards worked into it (not that I have to, of course, but its fun to try). I was particularly pleased that the other posters around town that Tikori mentioned allude to other cards in the sacrifice-to-search cycle that Scalding Tarn comes from.

Anyway, if you ever want to do a story or several with Vhara, Tikori, the city, or the Super Stealing Clubhouse, go right ahead! They're a lot of fun to work with.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:55 pm 

Hey, hey, hey! It's midnight on Friday, which can only mean one thing -- that I forgot the Saturday Night's Alright For Writing prompts again! (Seriously, what the heck is wrong with my memory? This should not be this hard!)

Anyway, this week's prompts are:

Augury Owl
Hurricane
Liliana's Mastery
Goblin Snowman

Happy writing, everyone! :)

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:31 pm 

I couldn't think of a way to combine all four cards this week, so I instead opted to write a poem. This poem is basically a reskin of Shel Silverstein's classic poem "Snowman," which is a favorite of mine. So, my thanks, respect, and apologies to Shel Silverstein!

Goblin Snowmen

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:39 pm 

Well, ick. I started out with a premise I was pretty excited by, but then it went... literally nowhere.

Oh well. There's always next week!

Know-It-Owl

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:57 pm 

@Orcish: That's a long way to go for a few puns. But, considering I've gone far further for far less, I approve! :thumbsup:

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:36 pm 

I couldn't think of a way to combine all four cards this week, so I instead opted to write a poem. This poem is basically a reskin of Shel Silverstein's classic poem "Snowman," which is a favorite of mine. So, my thanks, respect, and apologies to Shel Silverstein!

Goblin Snowmen

I love it! It always makes me happy when you do a poem. :D

Thanks for sharing, Raven!

@Orcish: That's a long way to go for a few puns. But, considering I've gone far further for far less, I approve! :thumbsup:

With a damp squib like that, the least I could do was try to pay it off with a pun at the end. :) This was such a frustrating one to work on, because, while I really like the premise -- Academy student has spectacularly dysfunctional relationship with owl -- I exhausted that joke in the first couple grafs, and then just could not get the story to land...

This is what happens to me when I begin at the beginning -- I can't find my way to the middle, much less the end.

Anyway, I'm glad it was at least good for a laugh!

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:16 pm 

I love it! It always makes me happy when you do a poem. :D

Thanks for sharing, Raven!

Thanks! I need to get back into writing MtG poetry again. It's fun stuff, and there are one or two cards left I haven't done yet... :paranoid:

With a damp squib like that, the least I could do was try to pay it off with a pun at the end. :) This was such a frustrating one to work on, because, while I really like the premise -- Academy student has spectacularly dysfunctional relationship with owl -- I exhausted that joke in the first couple grafs, and then just could not get the story to land...

This is what happens to me when I begin at the beginning -- I can't find my way to the middle, much less the end.

Anyway, I'm glad it was at least good for a laugh!

Well, it could have been worse for Rys. I hear lizards can be difficult to work with... :D

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:28 am 

Identity: Human
Since OL will be away, here are some prompts:

Mardu Charm
Accorder Paladin
Scragnoth
Phyrexian Rager

With a little luck, I'll even have something of my own to post tomorrow.

Quoth the Raven, for truth.
Know your roots.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:16 pm 

Since OL will be away, here are some prompts:

Mardu Charm
Accorder Paladin
Scragnoth
Phyrexian Rager

With a little luck, I'll even have something of my own to post tomorrow.

Well, I'm definitely not doing the charm, because I refuse to write anything specifically connected to Tarkir. So, since I can't do all four again, and don't particularly care for Phyrexians, I'll just do another poem, which actually might start being my default in this thread.

Anyway, here you go! Enjoy.

The Scragnoth

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:40 pm 

Huh, I chose Scragnoth for basically the same reasons -- it was the vaguest of the bunch and seemed most ready for a story not specific to the setting it came from.

Except I interpreted its abilities completely differently. I would have liked to take more time to actually explain some things in this, but I'd likely never finish it if that were the case, so I pushed through and just found an ending.

Hunt

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:06 pm 

@The Hunt

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:55 am 

@The Hunt

Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:10 am 

Seeing as it will be another week until OL is back for this, here's another Friday's worth of prompts:

Void Grafter
Goblin Wizard
Sphinx Summoner
Avacyn, Angel of Hope

Know your roots.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:12 pm 

I had an ambitious idea that was going to combine Goblin Wizard and Sphinx Summoner in a way I thought was pretty interesting, but I really just don't have the energy right now to do it, so instead I just wrote a poem.

Enjoy!

Goblin Wizard

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:28 pm 

To be perfectly honest, I'm not feeling it with any of the four prompts. Maybe if I had a week I could churn out something about scattered noblemen and people of power receiving summons (some of which would have been in the family from generations back), but I can't even think of a reason for the sphinx to summon them and it's kind of an ambitious project besides.

Know your roots.

Like this post