It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Core Set 2019 Flavor
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:09 am 

Identity: Goblin Piker
Is anyone actually surprised that the new walker they introduced is bland and unexciting? That's literally the stick of the Gatewatch.

[quote="
astarael7"]
As for Tarkir's Elder Dragons, the single best argument for them is Creative took the opportunity offered there to actually explore and establish what "Elder" means, and since then they have actually used it (consistently, too!) instead of letting it languish in dust, obscurity, and undefined pointlessness.

So your best argument for Tarkir Elder Dragons is that Wizards had an opportunity to do something and did. Great. Well, they had an opportunity to take the paper that idea was written on, crumble it up, set it on fire, and forget they ever mentioned it. Sadly, they didn't take that opportunity, because apparently that would have been, according to your logic, the best reason not to include them.

The Tarkir Elder Dragons were an answer to a question that nobody was asking. Even if I grant the premise that they somehow "explore and establish" what an Elder is (which I don't, by the way), who was asking? What subset of Magic players were wondering "What exactly is an Elder?" Now, a question that the Vorthos community HAS been asking for a long time is "What is an Elder Dragon?" We've heard the term for a long time, and they had an established yet poorly defined history. We knew that Nicol Bolas was one, as were Chromium, Arcades Sabboth, Palladia-Mors, and Vaevictis Asmadi. But Tarkir didn't answer, explore, or establish anything about them. All it did was slap the term on a bunch of dragons created through a convoluted, illogical, insulting time travel story that has nothing to do with anything. Applying that term to the Tarkir dragons just inserted confusion and uncertainty as to what that term means so that now, it means nothing. If Wizards had released a statement pre-Tarkir that said that their next Core Set would feature the story of the Elder Dragons, I would have been pumped.

I would have been pumped because the Elder Dragons, the real ****ing Elder Dragons, are a huge part of the reason I ever got involved in Magic's storylines. The five cards were some of my early flavor favorites, and it was an attempt to find information about the Elder Dragon Wars that first led me to cross over from YMTC into the old Art & Flavor board on the mothership. What little story we could piece together was full of mystery, intrigue, magic. They hinted at a grandiose story that was bigger than the game itself, the slightest glimpse at a Multiverse that was unfathomably massive, that had innumerable stories to tell over a variety of worlds too vast and varied to be imagined. The Tarkir Dragons not only do none of that, but they restrict the ability of the real Elder Dragons to do it anymore.

And when you think about it, that makes sense. It fits into Creative's apparent plan to constrict rather than expand the Multiverse. They want everything connected by neat little lines of plot connections so that the Multiverse, while once a place of infinite possibilities, feels like a gated community. Everybody knows everybody, and there are only so many places you are allowed to go. What's on the other side of the Gate? Doesn't matter; it's not safe there, so we can't go. So of course Creative had to neuter the real Elder Dragons. They were dangerous. They got people thinking of possibilities. It's like this new Vivien 'walker. Overall, I like her, but of course, she HAD to be connected to Bolas. After all, there certainly can't be a 'walker out there who hasn't met, interacted with, or faced the consequences of another 'walker (even though the odds are that MOST 'walkers have never met or heard of any others).

I have, or had, a very strong personal connection to the story of the Elder Dragons and their war, and because of that, I can only think of the Tarkir dragons in one way. It's like I went to Wizard's Creative department and asked them what it meant to be an Elder Dragon. And, in response, they spit in my face. They're like a bully on the beach, and what I've built up in my imagination is a sand castle. And when I asked my question, they came over, kicked over my sand castle, stomped on it, and rubbed the sand into my hair. Then they said, "Got any other questions we can answer? No? Good."

Tarkir Elder Dragons did not have to happen. There were plenty of other options for what to call them, if they even had to exist at all. Which they didn't, because Dragons of Tarkir should have never happened.[/quote]

Say it again for the people in the back

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:34 am 

Barinellos wrote:
Except of course that what they've defined it to mean is "old" while the previous elder dragons are, in fact, a separate species entirely that represent an earlier evolutionary path.
So, not terribly consistent.
I dispute pretty strongly that as any sort of "fact". The more I've delved into the older material, the more of it I've found to be various combinations of fanon, poorly remembered and miscommunicated plot points, and even occasionally actual speculation that the community just randomly upgrades to canon. At this point the only things attached to the Legends Elder Dragons that I believe as established facts are that they're:
  • old
  • powerful (which I think has a lot more to do with them being old than with them being Elders)
  • capable of traveling the planes (which I think has a lot more to do with them being powerful than them being Elders)
I mean, heck, in 20+ years of analysis we couldn't even agree on how many of them there were! The modern reinterpretation (quasi-mythical exemplars of their race with a metaphysical connection to others of that race) is a good distillation of the previous convoluted mess.

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins."

"Remember, dear friends: when we announce something and you imagine it, the odds that we made exactly that thing are zero."---Kelly Digges

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:12 pm 

astarael7 wrote:
Barinellos wrote:
Except of course that what they've defined it to mean is "old" while the previous elder dragons are, in fact, a separate species entirely that represent an earlier evolutionary path.
So, not terribly consistent.
I dispute pretty strongly that as any sort of "fact". The more I've delved into the older material, the more of it I've found to be various combinations of fanon, poorly remembered and miscommunicated plot points, and even occasionally actual speculation that the community just randomly upgrades to canon. At this point the only things attached to the Legends Elder Dragons that I believe as established facts are that they're:
  • old
  • powerful (which I think has a lot more to do with them being old than with them being Elders)
  • capable of traveling the planes (which I think has a lot more to do with them being powerful than them being Elders)
I mean, heck, in 20+ years of analysis we couldn't even agree on how many of them there were! The modern reinterpretation (quasi-mythical exemplars of their race with a metaphysical connection to others of that race) is a good distillation of the previous convoluted mess.

Take it up with Scott McGough in Time Spiral where it'd explicitly stated, then.

Like this post