It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7500 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 365, 366, 367, 368, 369, 370, 371 ... 375  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:49 pm 

Identity: Human
Some serious talk for a minute: I want to thank you all and take the opportunity to say again: I love you guys.

So, as I said, I've been sort of torn up over John "TotalBiscuit" Bain's passing. It keeps hitting me over and over, and I've cried several times already. Well, one particular dedication video included a clip from his interview with H3H3, in which TB said, "you always think 'well, I'm going to have another 8 more years.' Well, what if you don't? You have to make every moment count."

Well, that line in particular got to me, and I took the time to hug my mom and tell her how deeply I care for her, honest and truly. (Friendly reminder: take a moment to tell your friends and family you love them.) She responded, choked up a bit, by saying how proud she is of the man I've become -- she even told my brother and others about it (whom I am somewhat ashamed to admit I didn't think to call).

To circle it back around, I want to thank you guys so much, and tell you how much I love you guys for being who you are, and being here. I know this "man I've become" wouldn't have been the same if it weren't for all of you. You all passed along the knowledge of level-headedness, of friendliness, good cheer, caring, and all that good stuff, when it would have been so easy for me to have stumbled into the cynical, angry side of the internet. I love you guys, honest and truly, and I hope you all find that love in your life, too.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:28 pm 

Why is it that I've never seen any crossover ideas featuring the Matrix and Terminator?

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:31 pm 

@Luna: Love you too, buddy.

Barinellos wrote:
Why is it that I've never seen any crossover ideas featuring the Matrix and Terminator?

Because the name Terminix is already taken? :huh:

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:36 pm 

Hey, M:EM friends.

You all may not remember this, but my grandmother passed away back around New Year's. Her memorial service is next week, so I'm going to be travelling for a bit. The good thing about this is that we're gathering to celebrate a life well lived, and so my emotions are honestly more love than grief. But this is a chance for me to spend some time with family, and also, frankly, to disconnect from the rest of the world for a bit, and to take some time to reflect. So I'm probably going to go quiet for about the next two weeks.

I'll be back again before you all know it, and, in the meantime, you'll all be in my thoughts, as always.

So, for now, please just remember that you are all fabulous -- each and every one -- and there's an orc out there who loves ya.

<3

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:20 pm 

Swear it feels like I'm the only one that doesn't really like Spirited Away.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:30 pm 

Barinellos wrote:
Swear it feels like I'm the only one that doesn't really like Spirited Away.

While I'm always surprised how consistently it places above other Ghibli/Miyazaki movies (I prefer Princess Mononoke and Laputa/Castle in the Sky) I will admit I still enjoyed it...

The one that really shocks me in how much I seem to differ from overall opinion is Howell's Moving Castle. It still had a lot of creativity and visual wonder, so there was at least something to respect, but I really didn't care for it as a whole piece and often feel very alone in that opinion.

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:40 pm 

My favorite is Arietty, but that one is always taken as very low key for one reason or another.

But my issue with Spirited Away really comes from how disjointed the overall package is. The individual parts make sense, one to another, but step back from it, and nothing really adds up. There's about 4-5 plots going on, but they don't live in any sense of symbiosis. It's almost like there were supposed to be about 5 20 minute shorts that end up getting written together.
Also, the characters are, for the most part, bland, at best, and unlikable at worst.
Except No Face. Best part of the movie.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:22 pm 

I'm going to join in the Ghibli discussion, but I first feel it's pertinent to list out the small number of them I've actually seen:

• Howl's Moving Castle
  • Kiki's Delivery Service
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
  • Princess Mononoke
  • Ponyo
  • The Secret World of Arrietty
  • Spirited Away

Of those, the one I find I come back to the most often is Spirited Away, because it's just a damn great adventure-style of movie, where the main character does go on a bunch of short, mostly-disconnected adventures and then goes back to their "normal" life forever changed for the experience. I don't actually know of many of these outside the anime scene (mostly because I didn't used to care for the adventure genre in my youth), but it's a damn fine example of that genre.

However, my favorite would probably have to be Kiki's Delivery Service. I cry so, so much at that movie at all the wrong times for all the right reasons. Kiki hugging her parents good-bye so she can strike off on her own? I cry. The bakers putting up a sign for Kiki's new business as a gift for her? I cry. The whole scene with the kind old lady and getting her old oven working? I cry even more. Kiki heartbrokenly trudges up the stairs in her soaked dress? I'm as tender as a babe.

I would like to note that, the first times I saw Princess Mononoke and Nausicaä, back when I was like 12, they had instantly become my favorite movies ever, because they were movies about caring for the environment done right. Miyazaki's subtlety in his environmental message was just amazing to me. When I watched Avatar: the Blue Furbender, I found the only redeeming value to be the alien designs (because I'm a bit of a creature freak, if that's even a phrase), mostly because it's paper-thin plot just pounds you over the head with "hurting the environment is evil". Nowadays, though, I find I can't get as much out of Mononoke or Nausicaä for some reason or another. It just doesn't click anymore, I guess.

I do go against the grain with Ponyo, though. As far as I know, everyone seems to like that movie, but I was left confused and unimpressed. I don't think it's as charming or as grand as Miyazaki's other works, and I probably dislike it more because it comes from such a pedigree.

Of course, now I realize that when I've been watching my 80's anime these last two weeks (Galaxy Express 999, The Irresponsible Captain Tylor), I should have finally sat down to watch Grave of the Fireflies, or the other 60 minutes of My Neighbor Totoro. On at least two occasions, I've only managed to watch like the first half-hour of Totoro.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:27 pm 

Identity: Male
@OL I'm sad/glad to hear that. I don't know what to say really. Isn't the memorial a bit late considering she passed away around New Year's?

Of those, the one I find I come back to the most often is Spirited Away, because it's just a damn great adventure-style of movie, where the main character does go on a bunch of short, mostly-disconnected adventures and then goes back to their "normal" life forever changed for the experience. I don't actually know of many of these outside the anime scene (mostly because I didn't used to care for the adventure genre in my youth), but it's a damn fine example of that genre.

... When I watched Avatar: the Blue Furbender, I found the only redeeming value to be the alien designs (because I'm a bit of a creature freak, if that's even a phrase), mostly because it's paper-thin plot just pounds you over the head with "hurting the environment is evil". ...

I do go against the grain with Ponyo, though. As far as I know, everyone seems to like that movie, but I was left confused and unimpressed. I don't think it's as charming or as grand as Miyazaki's other works, and I probably dislike it more because it comes from such a pedigree.

Of course, now I realize that when I've been watching my 80's anime these last two weeks (Galaxy Express 999, The Irresponsible Captain Tylor), I should have finally sat down to watch Grave of the Fireflies, or the other 60 minutes of My Neighbor Totoro. On at least two occasions, I've only managed to watch like the first half-hour of Totoro.

A full listing of Miyazaki movies I've seen:
  • Like 1/4 of Spirited Away
So yeah, I'd say that one's my favourite.

I guess I never watched a lot of adventure movies either. The only thing that springs to mind for "where the main character [i]does go on a bunch of short, mostly-disconnected adventures[/i]" is Indiana Jones.

Avatar was a truly horrible movie. Creatures were neat though. I know James Cameron has a reputation as one of earth's foremost filmmakers, but only knowing him by Titanic and Avatar, I have to wonder if it's warranted.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:44 pm 

A friend of mine has been trying to convince me to swallow some pure food coloring. For a long time, I said no, but today I finally relented. I should have stuck to my convictions, though, because now I feel like I've dyed a little inside...

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:42 pm 

:rofl:

Okay, you got me with that one.

Quoth the Raven, for truth.
Know your roots.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:07 pm 

Random notes...

I'm still here!
To those of you who offered to be beta-readers, I apologize, but I haven't forgotten you! The prologue segments went into a round of rewrites.
I'm actually working on a M:EM tale. To say what it's about would be something of a spoiler. No ETA though
Speaking of things with no ETA, I had a realization about the future actual meeting of Aria and Oisin. Some of you may recall they were in the same place at the same time during "Across the Stars", but neither (that we know of) actually recognized the other as a Planeswalker. When they meet again, though, Oisin is sure to remember Aria. Given her garb and summons during that event, he'll probably be calling her The Little Red Wolf Girl, or possibly just Little Red. Taking some artistic liberties, of course...

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:43 pm 

So, I have a question, here's the scenario

I have an idea for a M:EM arc that, while I want to finish the current Ellia arc first (and oy what a big undertaking that's looking like) I feel is best suited as an M:EM story, not anything independent. The problem comes with the villain. The antagonist of the piece needs to be a mad scientist. And not just any mad scientist, one who's old and powerful, patient enough to wait north of fifteen years to reap what was sown and capable of inflicting city/country scale horrors (if not outright planar). The problem is, this villain just can't be Ellia. For one, this villain's goal is one that Ellia would consider impossible and probably not worth pursuing even if it was possible. For two, this antagonist has been sinking years and years into a project that Ellia frankly hasn't the dedication to have applied herself to; Ellia has enough irons in the fire in the postmending era that she's farming schemes out to Coven members like Doctor Carmine.

So my question is this -- does the Expanded Multiverse have room for another mad science type?

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:38 pm 

So, I have a question, here's the scenario

I have an idea for a M:EM arc that, while I want to finish the current Ellia arc first (and oy what a big undertaking that's looking like) I feel is best suited as an M:EM story, not anything independent. The problem comes with the villain. The antagonist of the piece needs to be a mad scientist. And not just any mad scientist, one who's old and powerful, patient enough to wait north of fifteen years to reap what was sown and capable of inflicting city/country scale horrors (if not outright planar). The problem is, this villain just can't be Ellia. For one, this villain's goal is one that Ellia would consider impossible and probably not worth pursuing even if it was possible. For two, this antagonist has been sinking years and years into a project that Ellia frankly hasn't the dedication to have applied herself to; Ellia has enough irons in the fire in the postmending era that she's farming schemes out to Coven members like Doctor Carmine.

So my question is this -- does the Expanded Multiverse have room for another mad science type?

I see no reason why not. We already have Isaac Charles Carmine in that trope, as well. I think as long as a character is doing at least something unique, it's more or less fine, as long as we don't get, you know, dozens of one thing or anything.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:27 am 

Upon reflection, I've come to the conclusion that Grover of Sesame Street is likely responsible for my love of meta humor.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:19 pm 

Life has been something of a slog lately.
How're the rest of you holding up?

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:25 pm 

Barinellos wrote:

Meh. I've been alright, but haven't felt like doing a whole lot lately.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:57 pm 

Barinellos wrote:
Life has been something of a slog lately.

The same. Spring is still trying to murder me and now work seems to be trying the same. It's been so busy that it has absolutely sapped my mental energies (not to mention my physical ones).

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:58 pm 

Identity: Male
I gave blood today. Bought some cool minis. I guess I'm doing alright. I'm not very good at knowing how I'm doing though. I keep my feelings at a distance, and sometimes I just need people to tell me ho I'm feeling.

Barinellos wrote:
Upon reflection, I've come to the conclusion that Grover of Sesame Street is likely responsible for my love of meta humor.

I never watched much Sesame street. I didn't even know Grover was meta, just that he's the blue one.
It's interesting to look back at formative media experiences though.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:58 am 

TPmanW wrote:
Barinellos wrote:

I never watched much Sesame street. I didn't even know Grover was meta, just that he's the blue one.
It's interesting to look back at formative media experiences though.

It was specifically the book "there's a monster at the end of this book"

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7500 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 365, 366, 367, 368, 369, 370, 371 ... 375  Next