It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 810 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:51 am 

Sure, I'll send you some notes.

My Patreon:
https://www.patreon.com/Carliro

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:07 pm 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
A grapeshot of ideas:

-An individual, or a whole population (big and united or small and scattered) is basically unable to think and remember anything that's not about what they're currently experiencing. As soon as they lose sight of someone thinking about them becomes hard, and as soon as they lose the trail of thought it's lost for good; cluttering reminders isn't enough to find stability, since if one gets lost mid-task they might undertake another, completely unrelated. Add a generous amount of magical power. What would be such a life like? How different personalities would react to this kind of difficulties in order to achieve an acceptable life? What would such a condition do to one's (or a culture's) view of life?
-Suppose such character(s) developed artifice and mind magic enough to build magical accessories that allowed one to keep in mind a certain number of things, but not everything a common human can and one can only wear one of this at the same time.
1) Now imagine the mental anchors allowing the character to develop independently different parts of their personality, fragmenting them when they become too complex to be held by a single anchor, to the point where some begin to object to the behavior, or even the very existence, of the others...
2) If an entire population has this condition, wealth might correspond to the ability to have more mental anchors and being able to develop more aspects of oneself, compartimentalizating the personality of the upper classes. How would this transform that society? What kind of intrigue might be built around the anchors?

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:30 pm 

I really wish there was something we could do to expand on the concepts of the mycosynth.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:08 pm 

Barinellos wrote:
I really wish there was something we could do to expand on the concepts of the mycosynth.

Well, our M:EM High School seems to exist in some kind of crazy, Magic, 1980s world, so...maybe some of the students can start a mycoSynth band?

:D

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:10 am 

Barinellos wrote:

Well, our M:EM High School seems to exist in some kind of crazy, Magic, 1980s world, so...maybe some of the students can start a mycoSynth band?

nah, it'd inevitably give way to metal. Too much infighting after that.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:30 am 

Identity: Male
I've said it before, Black Sun's Zenith would make a killer band name.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:50 pm 

There's an idea that's been floating around in my head as of late. A world that exists only by the presence of memories.

It started empty until the first walker came, and with it, portions of their strongest memories manifested, a copy of the places they're bound to. But it didn't fill the world. Every time a walker visits, the world gains new places and peoples.

It's a patchwork world that's having to reconcile its identity as cultures and places bleed together.
But it's all also just recreations, ghosts of places and people made manifest by the tabula rasa world.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:53 pm 

Barinellos wrote:
There's an idea that's been floating around in my head as of late. A world that exists only by the presence of memories.

It started empty until the first walker came, and with it, portions of their strongest memories manifested, a copy of the places they're bound to. But it didn't fill the world. Every time a walker visits, the world gains new places and peoples.

It's a patchwork world that's having to reconcile its identity as cultures and places bleed together.
But it's all also just recreations, ghosts of places and people made manifest by the tabula rasa world.

That's an interesting idea. It sort of reminds me of the plane visited in "Seeker's Point," but more permanent and more literal (as opposed to the sort of subconscious-mirroring of that plane.)

It would be interesting to see what sort of patchwork plane that would become.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:31 am 

I kinda like the idea of developing a world unto itself in which we can pull some planar chaos shenanigans with our characters.
A sort of self contained mirror,mirror world where our walkers alignment completely alters as they arrive and leave, with no real recollection of what they were inside the world.

Maybe an artificial plane?

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:57 am 

Barinellos wrote:
I kinda like the idea of developing a world unto itself in which we can pull some planar chaos shenanigans with our characters.
A sort of self contained mirror,mirror world where our walkers alignment completely alters as they arrive and leave, with no real recollection of what they were inside the world.

Maybe an artificial plane?

Or a place where the presence of walkers creates echoes or shadows of their essence? Maybe even populated only by the echoes of the walkers who went there and their offspring?

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:24 am 

Identity: Male
Barinellos wrote:

That touches on a couple of ideas I've had.
If a world comes into being as a representation of something, say as a cliche Victorian steampunk world, then what happens when it drifts from that criteria? Imaginary, idealized and otherwise fictional places are usually full of contradictions that would have to work themselves out. The simple progression of time could alter such a world beyond its parameters. In the steampunk example a world defined by discovery and progression would soon push itself out of steampunk territory.

What happens to such a world?
If it goes on its merry way progressing naturally, is there room for a new steampunk universe to emerge in the vacant niche?
Would it fade away when it transgresses the boundaries that define it? What would the residents of such a world do to restrict change? How could they do so within genre confines? It would make a great backdrop to say, an RPG.
Perhaps the world simply resets?
Maybe the laws of the world warp in such a way that they promote the steampunk theme? Once you mess up fluid dynamics, what happens to architecture, and when you correct that are the social norms still steampunk? One change could require another and another...
Perhaps the world is barely coherent and only the parts outsiders observe exist in a meaningful way. Everything else just sort of exists as a simplified spreadsheet, interacting according to genre rules until somebody observes some realism into it.

The other big idea is the Dreamscape MTG set I cooked up. The world is the manifestation of some demiurge's being. The whole plane could be said to be the body of a planar thought-being. Unobserved areas fade away into fog. The demiurge grows by trapping outside energy (in the form of planeswalkers), and its "digestion" process is collapsing. It grows by reforming, bigger and better with the absorbed energy.

Somebody on the old forums had a similar idea. I remember I entered a contest for it, where I made a card that represented... was it a mirror image, or maybe the suppressed id... a reverse Elpseth I called Thespel the anarchist.

I have ideas for an Un Raiker Venn. Basically he makes lame fanfics to laugh off the terrifying enormity of the cosmos. He doesn't put in much effort because he's afraid of making a real effort but failing to meet his potential, so it's all half-baked, pseudo-ironic, shipping-heavy fanfic of the people around him.

I also have this idea about Reality Engines...

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:11 am 

TPmanW wrote:

That touches on a couple of ideas I've had.
If a world comes into being as a representation of something, say as a cliche Victorian steampunk world, then what happens when it drifts from that criteria? Imaginary, idealized and otherwise fictional places are usually full of contradictions that would have to work themselves out. The simple progression of time could alter such a world beyond its parameters. In the steampunk example a world defined by discovery and progression would soon push itself out of steampunk territory.

What happens to such a world?
If it goes on its merry way progressing naturally, is there room for a new steampunk universe to emerge in the vacant niche?
Would it fade away when it transgresses the boundaries that define it? What would the residents of such a world do to restrict change? How could they do so within genre confines? It would make a great backdrop to say, an RPG.
Perhaps the world simply resets?
Maybe the laws of the world warp in such a way that they promote the steampunk theme? Once you mess up fluid dynamics, what happens to architecture, and when you correct that are the social norms still steampunk? One change could require another and another...
Perhaps the world is barely coherent and only the parts outsiders observe exist in a meaningful way. Everything else just sort of exists as a simplified spreadsheet, interacting according to genre rules until somebody observes some realism into it.

In this instance, Steampunk is perhaps a slightly poor choice because people traditionally only pick up on the aesthetic rather than the underlying pinions of what Steampunk is. Because it's important to account for the PUNK part of the name, which comes with heavy dystopian associations. In the case of steampunk, you'd have the heavier aspects of Victorian culture on top of the Powers that be enforcing a sort of stagnation to the status quo.

Steampunk, while it promotes the expansion and progress of the industrial revolution also comes laced with the cruelty and callousness of the time as well.

Quote:
The other big idea is the Dreamscape MTG set I cooked up. The world is the manifestation of some demiurge's being. The whole plane could be said to be the body of a planar thought-being. Unobserved areas fade away into fog. The demiurge grows by trapping outside energy (in the form of planeswalkers), and its "digestion" process is collapsing. It grows by reforming, bigger and better with the absorbed energy.

The idea of a comatose worldsoul touching on the minds of visitors has a sort of beauty to it, by way of explanations.

Quote:
I have ideas for an Un Raiker Venn. Basically he makes lame fanfics to laugh off the terrifying enormity of the cosmos. He doesn't put in much effort because he's afraid of making a real effort but failing to meet his potential, so it's all half-baked, pseudo-ironic, shipping-heavy fanfic of the people around him.
I almost want to make a crack about Raven here, but that's not fair to him.

Quote:
I also have this idea about Reality Engines...
Only if it comes with an eon hub!

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:39 pm 

Barinellos wrote:
Quote:
I almost want to make a crack about Raven here, but that's not fair to him.

Ouch. That hits me RIGHT in the human emotions that I totally have...

:paranoid:

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:57 pm 

A world divided into a dozen or more small kingdoms/nations/factions where people constantly fight in little wars. However, also inhabiting this world are a scant few nigh-immortal giants who like to sell their services to the various warring armies, just for the fun of it. Being ageless and close to immortal, they enjoy brawling with one another, and largely (pun intended) do not understand the life and death consequences of war to the smaller folk. I'm thinking Lorwyn scale giants here, for reference.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:53 pm 

Somewhere in the Multiverse, there is a town. Before the end of the year, that town will destroy itself. However, there is one soul in that town that knows of the eminent danger. Why? Because they have lived that year, over and over and over again very similar to Groundhog Day, but, you know, longer. And that person will continue to live that tragic year again and again and again until that disaster is prevented. There is, however, a twist. You see, that person can prevent the disaster easily; they know what causes it, and it is preventable. But their curse is such that the townspeople must prevent this catastrophe on their own. This one person can try to subtly direct their movements, but cannot interfere or directly tell anyone of the danger.

After the equivalent of decades, maybe centuries, of maddening practice and experimentation, they finally think that they have it. Today, this iteration of this day, will be the day that saves the town. Sadly, there is a problem. See, while time restarts on this plane every cycle, the time loop is limited to this plane; in the rest of the Multiverse, time is flowing normally. Unwittingly, on this last day of this cycle, the day when the disaster will be either triggered or prevented, a planeswalker (or two) arrives. Being the helpful sort, they learn of the town's pending damnation, and, to the eternal chagrin of the one trapped there, they prevent it.

Which of course, restarts the year.

And somewhere in Dominia, if I had to guess, a poet was laughing.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:25 am 

That reminds me of a concept I had for a short. I came up with it before Dominaria dropped, and wanted to write it while the Dom story was running, so that I could get the details right and be relevant.

During the Time Rift era on Dominaria, a wizard (who had, originally, been a student at Tolaria when the temporal disaster occurred) comes to a small town marked by a blue spark in the sky, a tiny Time Rift known as the "Water Star". The time-lost wizard peddles miracles, and convinces the head people of the town that immortality can be in their grasp. While most of the small minded people in the town disgust the wizard, the wizard does bond with at least one local. At the end of the week, the wizard casts, calling down Paradox Haze from the Time Rift, engulfing the rift, the town, and some of the surrounding countryside.

For those in the haze, time resets -- it is now the first moment when the Wizard entered the environs that would be affected by the Paradox Haze, but the only people who remember are the Wizard and the wizard's friend. At first, the friend is confused, but as the week resets again and again, the friend comes to understand that this was the immortality the wizard promised in the first loop: everyone in town lives the same week over and over, onward to infinity, trapped in the Paradox Haze that separates them from the rest of time, and other than the caster and the one person the caster found worthy to spend that eternity with, they're ignorant of that 'gift'. The Wizard, meanwhile, had gotten wind of the efforts being taken to seal the Time Rifts and, fearing that they would themselves disappear if the rifts were fixed, hit upon the idea of sustaining a single small rift with its own distortions in order to survive.

The friend doesn't care for that much, and becomes an enemy of the Tolarian wizard. They end up fighting over countless loops. At first the wizard is distressed, but soon the wizard comes to find the idea of the eternal conflict interesting, something to do with a continued existence that would otherwise be eternally dull. Over loops and loops, some involving doing fairly awful things just to stoke the conflict and see what happens, the wizard's will wears down, and the wizard begins to WANT to lose... the wizard accepts the possibility of a final death, and has come to desire their friend/rival to triumph and live on in a world where time moves forward. However, they don't need to be alive at the end of the week for the Haze to descend and reset time -- the only way to break it would be to mend the Water Star rift.

This turns out to be possible because one of the local friend's own friends has a latent planeswalker spark. This person starts to remember fragments from the countless loops, and despite being killed in hundreds of abortive timelines, is ultimately able to be brought to the Water Star and sacrifice their spark to mend it.

The wizard, oddly enough as they reckon it, doesn't just vanish into nothningness with the rifts gone as the town re-enters time in the modern era. The former latent planeswalker ends up semi-forgiving the wizard, because the wizard confessed their doubts, fears, and regrets to the latent PW in all those abortive loops of death, and some of those memories have seeped through. All three have to move on wracked by their experiences: One by an endless, bitter struggle where they watched the people they cared about die countless times. One by phantom memories of death and sorrow, and a deep sense of loss from sacrificing their spark. And the last by the memory of their wicked deeds, however erased by the constant resetting of time, deeds that they now have to live with in a way they never expected to.

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:26 am 

Something vaguely, albeit different, similar has been on my to do list for ages.
An Alessa story featuring an eon hub that plays around with the structure of the story and the usual use if time skips as a narrative device.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:05 pm 

"If you let stupid tiny things bring you down, why don't you let silly little things make you smile?"

A line I got in my head after a nap. It could probably take home in some short little piece, but I can't think of a suitable scene right now.

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:10 pm 

"If you let stupid tiny things bring you down, why don't you let silly little things make you smile?"

A line I got in my head after a nap. It could probably take home in some short little piece, but I can't think of a suitable scene right now.

I can't help but imagine this as coming from the Brownies from Willow.

I'd like to see a were-human. You know, a creature who, on every full moon, has a hideous transformation into human form. I would also like for said creature to be, for instance, an elf. And not a Lorwyn Elk Elf or anything (although their systemic racism would complicate the transformation in an interesting way), but literally someone who's change only involves a rounding of the ears.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:22 pm 

A plane of only insects, where various kinds of insects fill the niches of other creature types on other planes. The Nantuko are semi-established as a race and can take the place of Elves. Obviously, Mosquitos take the place of vampires. Goliath Beetles can take the place of megafauna (assuming they grow to many times their Earth size). What was that world that Illarion Vale and Aria went to? Maybe that one could work.

What other insects could we develop as stand-ins for typical races? Discuss.

:)

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 810 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next