It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:35 pm 
Moderator Lead

Identity: Male
Hello, everyone.

Recently, some users have expressed interest in having a place where they can buy, sell, and trade cards with each other on the boards. There is currently no place to do so, but there's no reason there couldn't be if there was interest. An entire forum seems excessive, but a Trade/Sale thread stickied in Magic General could be made to work. The Mothership had a similar system and it seemed to work well for them, letting interested parties meet up and keeping trade discussions from spilling over too much into the rest of the forum.

So is this something you'd be interested in? Would you use it? If so, what would you like it to look like? If not, do you have any issue with its existence? As always the moderation team will have the final say on whether or not this gets implemented and what shape it will take, but it's important for our decisions to be shaped by your needs so we'd like to know as much as possible about how the community feels on the issue.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:13 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

I used to use the old Marketplace forum on the WotC boards a lot, but nowadays I don't think I would--if I want to trade something I'm going to use a dedicated service or site, like PucaTrade. I don't really have any issues with it existing, but I just don't see any reason for me to use it myself.

And so people say to me, "How do I know if a word is real?" You know, anyone who's read a children's book knows that love makes things real. If you love a word, use it! That makes it real. Being in the dictionary is an artificial distinction; it doesn't make the word any more real than any other word. If you love a word, it becomes real.
--Erin McKean, Redefining the Dictionary

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:36 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
I'm with Zammm basically. I wouldn't use it but it seems like a useful thing to have.

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:41 pm 

I concur?

No offense, but NoGoblinsAllowed isn't on the top of my list for reputable sales locations? <- Assuming I had a collection and I wanted to liquidate it by mailing it to random strangers, I would rather use a more established service like SCG or EBAY.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:48 pm 

Identity: Female
my brother made a lot of money scamming people on ebay and as far as i know didn't suffer any consequences besides getting banned from ebay

i heard someone say they like supporting people's businesses once so i guess you could go for a nga pride angle with a marketplace

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:27 pm 

Heck. If they do it in a way that NGA can't be blamed for people ripping off other people, I see no reason why not. ...... I don't see much of a reason why, but that never stopped no one.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:01 am 

I honestly do not see the need as others have pointed out,SCG,ebay and a number of other sites all exist with a primary purpose of selling cards to them. From the looks of it at least in this thread,it seems to me that only Door is asking for one. What's to stop someone from ripping of some one here? A rep system? I mean come on, that never really stopped folks from ripping other off in the past at other message boards and it still doesn't nor does banning users.

The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon wrote:
The secret of this format is in not breaking it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:00 pm 
Moderator Lead

deadpoet wrote:
What's to stop someone from ripping of some one here? A rep system? I mean come on, that never really stopped folks from ripping other off in the past at other message boards and it still doesn't nor does banning users.

Nothing stops them. NGA takes no responsibility for the ethical behavior of those trading here. I would recommend only trading with people you trust, and taking appropriate precautions when doing so. The purpose would just be to facilitate communication between private parties.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:31 pm 

deadpoet wrote:
I honestly do not see the need as others have pointed out,SCG,ebay and a number of other sites all exist with a primary purpose of selling cards to them. From the looks of it at least in this thread,it seems to me that only Door is asking for one. What's to stop someone from ripping of some one here? A rep system? I mean come on, that never really stopped folks from ripping other off in the past at other message boards and it still doesn't nor does banning users.

you can literally rip people off in 100% of online transactions

The difference being that elsewhere on the internet there are sites where you can put up merchandise and the site will guarantee you the price (within reason) if someone tries to run off with your product.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:28 pm 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
buyers can literally steal from you on ebay with absolutely no repercussions and this happens a lot

If you do it properly eBay is supposed to give you money.

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:03 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: SE / squinty / squints
deadpoet wrote:
I honestly do not see the need

While I agree there are other places to go, I don't see the harm in the experiment of having a trade / sell thread here. Worst that happens is someone gets ripped off and people stop using it, same chance at every other site. Best that happens is people are happy, and everything works out. Either way, it's worth a shot.

~SE++

[Johnny's Quest] October 12 - 18: Cloudstone Curio

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:27 pm 

I'm sorry Door, but there are places on the internet where it's safer to sell cards than Ebay.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:29 pm 

Identity: Female
There are probably online markets that have respected failsafes but ebay isn't one of them. The rep system works well as far as i know in cases where a lot of transactions are being made.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:36 am 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
tcgplayer is literally the best way to sell cards.

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:38 am 
Former Staff

Identity: Akki
We're hammering out the details and will be delivering an answer soon.

We do thank you for patience on the matter.

Code of Conduct

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:30 am 

I LOVE how the trade thread that door asked for is working out

The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon wrote:
The secret of this format is in not breaking it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:03 am 

deadpoet wrote:
I LOVE how the trade thread that door asked for is working out

Well the site is dead anyways and NGA isn't exactly an established place to go to buy MTG.

It also might have something to do with the fact that they opened a thread where only Door was the one asking to sell things on the site.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:19 pm 
Moderator Lead

It's an experiment. It was simple to set up, takes up little space, and if no one uses it we can get rid of it, but it seemed easy enough to just try it and see what happened.

Like this post